It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say the Military are "Fighting for our country"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Let me start off by saying I respect and admire all apects of the Military. They are very Brave men/women.

But there is something that is really starting to bug me.

Many people, including the media, are forever stating that our soliders are fighting for our country and we should treat them as heroes.

Maybe it is just me, but I dont see them as fighting for our country. They are fighting for the freedom of others (dependant on your stance on the motive for being there)

I am tired of being labled "unpatriotic" for my views but I feel that our grandfathers and their fathers truly fought for our freedom.

Preventing an invasion springs to Mind.

Now I have been informed by people, that in actual fact the military being in afghanistan and Iraq is helping prevent terrorism in our homelands.

I dont buy it.

Are people really suggesting that a war on terror can only be fought overseas?

I know that soliders do not have a say on where they are deployed, or for what reason.

But getting a leg blown off whilst scouting for I.E.D's which were only put there because you were there in the first place, all seems a bit moot.

I give to "The Help for Heroes charity" not because they are heroes (to me), but because I feel it is unfair they have became badly injured.

I also understand why people who have family in the military refer to them as heroes. They have to jusitfy the risks being taken by someone they love or they genuinly are proud of them.

I guess its a bad use of terminology, but I just feel uncomfortable when someone says they are fighting for our freedom or country.

Thoughts?

Briles

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I see them as fighting for corporate contracts on the cleanup and any resources said target country may have yet un tapped

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I had two good friends pass away because of this war. And I can guarantee, they wouldn't of gone voluntarily. They had to go because they were sent there. Not to fight for their country. It was the life signed up for.

R.I.P.

Dutch

Daniel

You will never be forgotten.

I miss you guys.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The individual buck Private or Marine Corporal is serving his country and fighting for it ....as well as the more immediate concerns of fighting for his own life and that of his buddies and mates.

I think the tendency to blame the troops is misplaced and obscene, myself. The vast majority of these guys enter at 18, out of high school and for all kinds of reasons. However, they have one thing in common. They all share the blissful ignorance of youth. For better or worse, good or bad in feelings afterward, they ALL come out far less naive than they went in.

Blame the people who ARE at fault, not those who give some while others give all. Blame the politicians who choose the battles and wars they are sent to ....while thanking whatever you believe in that those men and women are there to fight for *US* if someday, another fight picks us to start with, outside politician assistance.

Some seem to think the world is full of peaceful nations all lined up to sing Kumbaya, if only those war mongering Americans would just stop causing everyone hate and discontent. When, in fact, the world has been at war to various degrees for thousands of years now. America is just over 200 years old. War doesn't need us and we aren't feeding it. We're just a cog in the ancient machine.

The troops are fighting for their country. It's the civilian leadership who is often fighting against it, IMO.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I agree with the guy above, they are nothing more than industrial and business bailiffs acting on what the courts decide (their government)

Soldiers used to fight to save your country, now they fight to 'save others country's' the reality being the don't want to be saved by 'us' because it comes at a cost that will ring out through decades and generations.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree that many young people sign up for the life of a soldier, it is just such a shame that their enthusiasm and spirit are taken advantage of by TPTB.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
its easier for them to believe the lies they're fed that its "for their" country .... rather than face the truth that its pure mass murder for profit. there is NO justification for the illegal / immoral wars and invasions.
edit on 3/6/13 by Expat888 because: grr.. bloody english giving me headache ... correct translation error...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Well they are in a round about kinda way
All these conflicts and interventions help to secure and maintain the US's dominance in the world

Like that all encompassing term 'national security' ANYTHING that will or could affect the US's dominance or future dominance is considered a national security risk
And that can be ANYTHING
Oil
Gas
Food
Water
Image !

All you need is to step back and use a wide angle lense

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

Originally posted by Briles1207

Are people really suggesting that a [color=99FF80]war on terror can only be fought overseas?
Honestly, I've always thought that↑ was one of the stupidest phrases I have ever heard. Seriously, which side of this particular 'War On Terror' has actually created more 'terror'?

All throughout history, there have been immense amounts of bloodshed, and far too many people have died, all allegedly in the name of 'Peace'. When you fight fire with fire, you are still left with a fire.

As a species, if we truly were as advanced as we claim to be, you'd think we would've figured out by now that 'fighting for peace' doesn't actually work out so great. Maybe it's about time we should try out a different approach.

[color=E8AA8B]An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

edit on 6/3/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diabolical
. It was the life signed up for.

Please define what you mean by "the life".

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

edit on 3-6-2013 by Briles1207 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

The regimented lifestyle, its hard to explain to one thats never served, those that wore the uniform like I did would understand.
Please dont take that as dismissing you, its just hard to explain to someone that hasnt served

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thats another thing. I would like to hear the motives for youngsters joining the army.

Long ago it was compulsory, but I wonder if you looked at the demographic of people serving, there would be a common grounding as to their reasons.

I would guess that the number one reason for joining would not be to "fight for our freedom" but as has been mentioned, the army "life" a sense of belonging and traveling the world.

No doubt it is glamourised by recruitment centres.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

The career path that they wanted.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

A great many do it purly for personal gain, as is taught with capitalism from a young age.

Young people who want a trade skill while gaining one of the best references for a CV/resume will join the forces till theyr are mid twenties - while this is a selfish act on the whole the benefits to the country and its workforce is still pretty good news overall.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire

Eisenhower warned of the growing power of the military industrial complex, now we see it in full effect. Anyone with eyes and a brain can see that the US military is not being used to defend the US, but anyone who dares to say so is labeled anti-American and unpatriotic. Name calling rather than discussing the issue. Bradley Manning is facing life imprisonment for exposing the war crimes of the US, but the butchers that murder unarmed civilians and journalists are given anonymity and absolved of any wrong-doing.

Above all, we are told that we must "support the troops." The last President that actually put some action behind those words was Jimmy Carter. His mistake was actually supporting the people serving in the military, and not the military industrial complex. For the rest, supporting the troops meant sending them to some godforsaken piece of land to die, while steadily reducing care and benefits for anyone fortunate enough to make it back. Meanwhile, here in the US, the military is being given increasing authority over the civilian population, and police forces are becoming increasingly militarized.

When I was 18, I was very patriotic. I had even won a national award for an essay entitled, "My Responsibilities in Keeping My Country Free." I had tremendous respect for military officers I had met, they seemed to be men of the highest standards of honor. It wasn't long after I enlisted that I came to realize that 9 out of 10 officers had absolutely no concept of integrity, and it's probably a lot less now.

I realize that a lot of what I posted here was just pure rant, but the key point is the first line of my post. You can publicly criticize the President, Congress, the Court, etc. But if you criticize the military, you can expect backlash from all sides. When budget cutting measures are proposed, military spending is almost always immune. So, who is really running the show in this country?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Absolutely

" It wasn't long after I enlisted that I came to realize that 9 out of 10 officers had absolutely no concept of integrity, and it's probably a lot less now"

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

its just hard to explain to someone that hasnt served
reply to post by HomerinNC

HoerinNC is correct about its hard to explain to some one that has never servered, the way I look at it and still look at it is the Unit your with is your family (Comradery), Every Soilder if asked if they want to go fight a battle they would be the first to say No.....but most of the Butt Heads that send them to fight have no clue what it means to serve you country.

Like someone else explained they are not Fighting for our Contry they are fighting for themselfs to defend off those that those butt heads sent us to deal with. They the soilders are watch each other backs making sure they survie to come home.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19KTankCommander

its just hard to explain to someone that hasnt served
reply to post by HomerinNC

HoerinNC is correct about its hard to explain to some one that has never servered, the way I look at it and still look at it is the Unit your with is your family (Comradery), Every Soilder if asked if they want to go fight a battle they would be the first to say No.....but most of the Butt Heads that send them to fight have no clue what it means to serve you country.

Like someone else explained they are not Fighting for our Contry they are fighting for themselfs to defend off those that those butt heads sent us to deal with. They the soilders are watch each other backs making sure they survie to come home.

Well said.

Hard to explain.

Those two didn't deserve to go the way they did.

Both of those two, always had my back when I went I out. I don't go out anymore. They knew I wasn't in the military. And I went out with neither one of them.

Life isn't fair.

They both had lives that were cut way too short.
edit on 3-6-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Absolutely

" It wasn't long after I enlisted that I came to realize that 9 out of 10 officers had absolutely no concept of integrity, and it's probably a lot less now"

That is sad. When I enlisted we had very few officers who didn't have integrity. Maybe 20%. My CO and XO were incredibly honorable. Crossed paths with company and battalion commanders who were pitiful and the 9th Infantry Commander who had no time for BS or politics.

People join for many reasons, for a chance to make something of themselves, because they are young and have no other options and many other reasons. They are trying to do the best they can and I salute them. The MIC sucks and needs to be crushed.
edit on 4-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join