It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Fireball Meteor with Sonics Over Ohio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

amsmeteors.org

May

By Mike Hankey, in Fireball Logs, Fireball Sightings

Over 200 witnesses reported a large fireball over Ohio last night around 11:05 PM local central time (3:05 UT). The fireball was seen from primarily Ohio and Indiana, but witnesses from West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and North Carolina also reported seeing the fireball.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.slate.com
www.amsmeteors.org

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
With the large Asteroid (285263) 1998 QE2 and its moon coming in close contact with earths atmosphere today this seems coincidental. Will there be any more sightings or impacts in the near future? or is this an isolated incident. One thing is for certain, time will reveal all answers.

After the recent impact in Russia on the same day as the asteroid flyby, I suppose I am on edge. Especially after a sighting of this magnitude. It seems like a very wide swath of people that sighted this.

Quotes from people who sighted / heard this event

"it was so bright it light shined thru heavy cloud..."

"Greenish color. Looked like large firework with trail of glowing pieces falling off."

"At first I Thought it was a jet exploding as it went down...cannot believe I have not heard of it on the news!!!"

amsmeteors.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
any video footage?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Photo Or Video Please ..Looks interesting..

edit on 31-5-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
any video footage?

This is breaking, I haven't found any footage as of yet. If anyone finds anything please share it with us!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Earth did pass through the orbital plane of comet PANSTARRS today.....so i would think its a remnant from the comets tail. Nothing to worry about, but very cool

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Earth did pass through the orbital plane of comet PANSTARRS today.....so i would think its a remnant from the comets tail. Nothing to worry about, but very cool

Tell that to the people in Russia who got hit after a asteroid passed us last time. These bigger objects are always accompanied by other objects and this is the first and hopefully the last one from this asteroid.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Large fireball triggers 'earthquake like' shaking ovar Ohio

Published on May 31, 2013

An earthquake-like shaking felt by some Ohioans on Thursday night is being attributed to a large fireball.

"The American Meteor Society's website says more than 50 people reported seeing the fireball just after 11 p.m. Thursday. It "was seen primarily from Ohio and Indiana," according to the AMS, but reports also came from West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and North Carolina.

The website says the fireball included sonics.

There have been no official reports of damage and it is unknown where the fireball may have landed.

According to the AMS, "fireball" is another term for a very bright meteor, "generally brighter than magnitude -4, which is about the same magnitude of the planet Venus as seen in the morning or evening sky."

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Saw something interesting in central Illinois last night. Perhaps just a satellite. Does anyone know how to find out where certain satellites are at certain times? 2:14 AM Central time South Eastern skyline?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Tell that to the people in Russia who got hit after a asteroid passed us last time. These bigger objects are always accompanied by other objects and this is the first and hopefully the last one from this asteroid.
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

The Chelyabinsk meteor had absolutely Zero connection with the Asteroid 2012 DA14. It is all about trajectory, not taking a coincidence and trying to make a fact out of it because you think that is what must have happened.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeguy

With the large Asteroid (285263) 1998 QE2 and its moon coming in close contact with earths atmosphere today this seems coincidental. Will there be any more sightings or impacts in the near future? or is this an isolated incident. One thing is for certain, time will reveal all answers.

Just a slight correction here:

1998 QE2 did not come into contact with Earth's atmosphere. The closest it got was around 3.6 million miles, and our atmosphere does not go out that far (else the moon would be in it).

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by princeguy

Just a slight correction here:

1998 QE2 did not come into contact with Earth's atmosphere. The closest it got was around 3.6 million miles, and our atmosphere does not go out that far (else the moon would be in it).

Thank you for the correction.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I looked through www.dailymotion.com for a possible video there...still nothing uploaded yet on YT either.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I live in ohio, and i thought i heard something on thursday around that time but i cant be sure. I can say this i have madea few reports to the NUFORC as i have seen some strange things in the shy in ohio

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hide yo children! Hide yo wife! The meteors are coming with terror and strife!

Seriously though, I hope we get pummeled by meteors in my lifetime just so I can laugh like a maniacal villain while watching Earth finally get her freedom back from us retched little parasites. ^_^

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I live in Indiana and missed out.............dammit...I always do. It was pouring down rain here Thursday and Friday anyway. I'm still looking forward to when ISON comes into view later this year. As far as all the meteors, meteorites, fireballs, and what ever else I forgot, this year is gonna be a historical one for sure!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I live outside of Columbus, Oh and missed this also :// I live in the "country" and in the perfect place for sky watching. Beautiful clear skies. I see "shooting stars" almost nightly. And have witnessed several green fireballs. I unfortunately have never seen a ufo in our skies...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gohome1122

< www.spaceweather.com > enter you postal zip code in the US report will be in your local time.

I do not have a solution for outside US but I am sure you can google it for many locations.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
We live just northeast of Cincinnati, Ohio.
At about dusk (8:30-9:00 pm.?) on the 30th or the 31st.), my wife and I were sitting on our deck relaxing...and my wife turned to me and said "did you see that?".
I saw nothing...but she told me that she just saw a descending streak of light (just to the southwest of our back yard). She said it moved fast and was very low on the horizon. What was odd was that she felt it actually came from high up...and descended towards the ground...just beyond the treeline behind our house on the other side of the wide wooded valley behind our deck.

Neither of us heard any sound at the time.
edit on 3-6-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join