It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Veteran is arrested for NOT shooting a wanted felon...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Firing a “warning shot” in an apartment building full of people is reckless endangerment.
He is being charged appropriately.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Shouldn't punishment only occur if something bad had actually happened here?

Yes he shot a warning shot... but no one was hurt, right?

Why take time and energy away from him when all he did was react??
It's not like he was the one trying to break into somebody's house or anything...

Actually, the law is, if you're going to shoot, then shoot to kill.

You're not allowed to fire warning shots.

This happens again and again..e.g.

Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in controversial warning shot case

Saying he had no discretion under state law, a judge sentenced a Jacksonville, Florida, woman to 20 years in prison Friday for firing a warning shot in an effort to scare off her abusive husband.

www.cnn.com...

You cannot scare people with the gun. You cannot warn people with the gun. Any warning must be vocal.

Once you pull that trigger, it must be fear of threat to life, and use extreme prejudice.

As long as the assailant is dead, the courts will go easy on you. It's only your word, on the matter of what happened.

Never, under any circumstances, let the assailant live, or walk away. Otherwise the law will come after you, and you'll feel the full weight of the legal injustice system.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SQUEALER

While what you are saying may appear true, it's not what they intend by it. Lethal force is meant to be a last resort, and you only pull a weapon when it gets to that point. Pulling a weapon at any other time is actually “brandishing” and is a felony by itself. Firing a “warning shot” means you now have a stray bullet that is flying god knows where, and can hit god knows who. This guy not only fired a warning shot, but he did it in the confines of an apartment building. You fire off a round in an apartment, its liable to go through a wall, floor, ceiling, or ricochet and kill someones child in another apartment.

So the point is not that you are to shoot to kill because you “get away with it” and there is no “other side of the story”, its that its meant to be a “last resort”. When you do shoot, you shoot to kill, otherwise you might not have been in as much “danger” as you were apparently claiming.

edit on 5/31/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
First never tell the cops you fired a "warning shot". If you had the right to shoot you had the right to shoot and hit.

If you tell the cops anything you tell them you missed.

I have fired at trespassers at a remote mine in Nevada.

But they had crossed a locked gate a half mile before they got to me.
Yes they were warning shots but i told the cops that i was shooting at some critter i heard in the night and since i was a half mile behind a locked gate on fenced and posted property i had no reason to believe that there were people out there.
I did not tell the cops about the nightvision scope and the fact i could seen the people checking doors on the buildings around the mine.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa wait wait wait.

This isn't making any sense.

They want to take our guns away. But now all of a sudden, if we don't use them, we get arrested?

Wait what!?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antiobama
Its almost better to just let him get in and waste him, stab his lungs so they do not inflate, wrap chain around him, attach blocks, leave at night, toss over bridge. That way you don't go to jail. I imagine it is easier then we think to dispose of a body and not get caught. IMO it just takes calmness, balls and patience. But people usually get scared and make mistakes.

So do you dispose of the body and not call the cops or to you risk being thrown in jail and all your guns confiscated.

Sad Sad Sad world we live in.

Actually, you are right. If you shoot an intruder, chances are pretty good you will go to jail for some type of crime. In most States improper disposal of human remains is a misdemeanor charge which carries about a 90 day sentence. So it is almost worth it to handle things on your own and never inform Police.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join