It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM created a monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A half built Supercomputer being built for the US Government by IBM, already has a run at the title of the Worlds Fastest even though it is only partially complete.

The US energy secretary said on Thursday that the Supercomputer was able to process 70.72 teraflops per second. This is two times faster then the computer that currently holds the title of the Worlds Fastest Super computer.

BlueGene/L as its called is being developed for the US department of energy's National Nuclear Security Administration and is being constructed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California.

source: www.hardwaregeeks.com...

HA! next step to overwhelming the world..when they come to the private market?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What do they do with these so called super computers that run on ridiculous high amounts of power and speed? I mean I don't know much about them but what do they do? does it run windows or linux? explain?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Hm I don�t know really..I guess, its a own created system for the goverment, they use the computer to crack some codes, or/and figure out some maths :-)...

Do you really think that they use a Microsoft, Linux, MacOS, OS2, DOS (sure! ;-) system?
If they use Microsoft software, Bill Gates must (be) really involved in their goverment business..I mean they can�t use a ordinary Windows XP Home Edition or Prof. Edition on their calculator

cheers!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dacruz
Hm I don�t know really..I guess, its a own created system for the goverment, they use the computer to crack some codes, or/and figure out some maths :-)...

Do you really think that they use a Microsoft, Linux, MacOS, OS2, DOS (sure! ;-) system?
If they use Microsoft software, Bill Gates must (be) really involved in their goverment business..I mean they can�t use a ordinary Windows XP Home Edition or Prof. Edition on their calculator

cheers!

actually they use linux clusters for the current record holder, the Earth Simulator in Japan.

This truly monster computer (actually thousands of networked CPUs) is used primarily for climate modelling and simulation.

www.es.jamstec.go.jp...

This new US computer must be something totally new and special.

Perhaps biological??

[edit on 7-11-2004 by __rich__]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Well it does kind of make me wonder how long it will be before these super computers become like some sort of artificial intelligence, or even self aware.

OMG, I'm starting to sound like the terminator's coming true.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses
Well it does kind of make me wonder how long it will be before these super computers become like some sort of artificial intelligence, or even self aware.

OMG, I'm starting to sound like the terminator's coming true.

Its true man. The new computers they are working on work with DNA....

www.newscientist.com...

[edit on 7-11-2004 by __rich__]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yeah ��ve just want to say this

I would like to know, where they hold this supercomputer? In a atomic shelter?..and if they run with biological intel. you can�t route this computer in a specific direction..I mean this machine has his own consciousness..or something like that?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Covered already:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing this thread.

top topics

join