It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it take to be 'American'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm really not sure if this thread even belongs on ATS. However, I'll carefully word this post so that it sounds somewhat like a conspiracy

For those of you have known me or seen some of my nutty posts, you can skip this paragraph. Even though I'm located in 'Wales, UK', I�m originally from the Texas. That would, obviously, make me an American. The sole purpose of me being in the UK is to attend a local University and do some teaching. Ok...

A few of my friends went out to a club located in downtown. A few beers later, we are struggling to talk to girls. Note to everyone: After a few beers, speech gets impaired. Now couple that with international language barriers and 'spitting game' becomes nearly impossible.

Anyway, my Belgian friend told me that there is this American girl that wants to meet me. Great! Finally another American to talk to. We walk a short distance and he introduces me to this gorgeous girl. I ask her where she's from and of course I�m expecting the typical response (Cali, NYC...Idaho, etc).

She tells me she is from Brazil.

Later that night, my Portuguese friend gets in a huge argument about this girl considering herself American.

He says that she is not American because Americans are from the USA. She is from South America. If she was to be considered American, then Canadians, Mexicans...etc would also be America as well.

I argue that she is American based on the simple fact that she is from South America (nevertheless still America). And person from the Czech Republic is just as European as a person from Spain.

I guess what I�m trying to get at is why aren�t people from North, Central, and South America considered American?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
technically, TECHNICALLY mind you, people from south and central americas can be considered americans sence america is in their continants name. same with canadians.

america is latin for amrigo, which is the firt name of amrigo vespuchi(sp) who the amricas were named after.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
technically, TECHNICALLY mind you, people from south and central americas can be considered americans

So why is the term 'American' only restricted to people from the USA if other americans are considered 'American'?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Alright guys, this is the last time im going to try to get this question answered

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
probally were the only country that has america in the name of the country. and there are many definitions of being an american so im not even going to get into it.

again its probally cause were the only county in this hemisphere with the word america in our name. thats my reason and im sticking to it!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am guessing if there was another country with "America" in its name the people of that country would call themselves Americans as well.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I am guessing if there was another country with "America" in its name the people of that country would call themselves Americans as well.

So that means that everyone from the North,Central, and South America ARE Americans?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I guess that could be true. As true as anyone living in Europe would be called European or anyone living in Asia being called Asian.

top topics

join