It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMOs Quietly Pushed For Commercial Growing in The UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hi peeps...

For those of us resident in the UK this is a worrying development. At the moment no GM crops are grown in the UK. Apart from an experimental trial of GM wheat which commenced in 2012. However apparently David Cameron's 'personal scientific advisor' Mark Walport and others are pushing for an agenda which would allow Biotech firms aka Monsanto to grow GM crops for commercial use...

Calls to relax the rules on GM crops were backed yesterday by the nation’s chief scientist. Sir Mark Walport said the rise of genetically modified food was ‘inexorable’ and there was a ‘strong case’ for it to be grown in Britain. So far biotech firms have been deterred from growing GM crops in Europe by the tightest controls in the world.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Sir Mark said it was his ‘job to advise on the science and it is then the politician’s job to decide how to use that … The final decision is a political decision’.

His comments – in his first public speech in the job – are the latest indication that the GM lobby is rapidly gaining influence after years of public hostility.

Over the past 8 weeks 6 supermarkets; Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrison’s, Marks & Spencer and Co-operative ended bans on farm suppliers giving GM Soya and Maize to animals producing meat, milk and eggs, this includes free range animals. Waitrose still requires non-GM feed for poultry, eggs and lamb.

Marks & Spencer and the Co-op have said that their chickens will be fed on GM soya. Apparently it is because they have said that their suppliers had told them that non GM food for poultry is now 'too expensive' and 'too difficult' to obtain. Well that maybe because Monsanto soya that is grown in Brazil and the US is over 80% genetically modified.

www.guardian.co.uk...

And with the European Union ignoring calls for a ban on GMO as they think that more research is needed to prove it is actually dangerous instead of trying to prove that it is safe. Talk about backwards...

According to a survey conducted by the FSA in 2012. They found that 2 in 3 people believe that food products from animals which are fed on GM should be labelled as such. That is quite a lot of people. But as we know there are no plans to do this...

Many people seem to be waking up to all the lies and disinformation regarding GM....

A British Science Association study showed public support for GM foods declining from 46% in 2002 to 27% now, even with all of the disinformation of the media, food companies, etc…

www.exposingthetruth.co...

So we have the majority against GMOs and yet they are still pushing for GM crops. Why won't they listen to us...! Peeps watch out. They will be trying to sneak this through under the radar. We do not want GM crops or food...!

Instead of using GMOs for increased yield we could try regulating our waste. And trying not to waste as much. We do not need more food. There is more than enough. Did you know that the UK wastes roughly 15 million tonnes of food per year...

england.lovefoodhatewaste.com...

Anyway I shall keep trying to do my bit in this GMO craziness. Spread the word peeps....

Peace
Fluff

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the info' OP.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

No problem...

There are also a long list of links at the bottom of the linked article. Plenty of information to get stuck into...

www.exposingthetruth.co...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So basically, since they have bought Washington, here in the US, They are now focusing on buying your government. I'm sorry, and please fight it hard, while you still have a chance!.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'v singed numerous petitions against GM foods and appropriate labeling - But for what? What is the point of having a Government when they don't even listen to you anyway? The vote is merely a choice of which one of the 2 Parties you want to shaft you.

Who needs a partner when the Government #s you this much daily?

And no surprise that its Cameron's money grabbing party that's eventually initiating this, about as surprising as not been able to breath under water.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Some Brit supermarkets have given up the fight to support what the majority of its customers want-that is NO GMO's.
They have now decided that its too difficult to be able to say for sure if animal produce/meats were reared on GM foods,so they won't try to label the fact anymore.

This is yet another sneaky way Monsatan an friends force thier nutrient difficient,pesticide rich filth on to the masses-they sell it as animal feed to countries who wish to avoid human consumption.

They play the long game,and although many people are against GMO's,they know all the tricks to force it on us.

DEMAND labeling of all GMO's,and ALL animals fed on it.

Would you eat a GMO meal in public with your wife and kids please Mr Scameron if you believe it to be so wonderful?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I'v singed numerous petitions against GM foods and appropriate labeling - But for what?

Me too. It seems to be pointless at the moment. They do not give a flying beep about what we want. Governments are meant to listen to the people. But it seems that money and power and control are far too desirous to give up..

I do not know what it is going to take. But we need to give them a serious wake up call..!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well...that's just fan-bloody-tastic.

Are these arseholes actully listening to the people or not...not would seem the obvious answer.

We can tell who is whispering in the ear of the chief government scientist can't we...bleeding sell out.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Sir Mark Wallport is a geneticist, educated at Cambridge, however he apparently worked for Welcome Trust for ten years prior to being appointed the UK governments go to geek.

The Trust was established to administer the fortune of the American-born pharmaceutical magnate Sir Henry Wellcome.[6] Its income was derived from what was originally called Burroughs Wellcome, later renamed in the UK as the Wellcome Foundation Ltd.[7] In 1986, the trust sold 25% of Wellcome plc stock to the public. Overseen by incoming Director of Finance Ian Macgregor, this marked the beginning of a period of financial growth that saw the Trust's value increase by almost £14bn in 14 years, as their interests moved beyond the bounds of the pharmaceutical industry.[8] In 1995, the trust divested itself of any interest in pharmaceuticals by selling all remaining stock to Glaxo plc, the company's historic British rival, creating GlaxoWellcome plc. In 2000, the Wellcome name disappeared from the drug business altogether when GlaxoWellcome merged with SmithKline Beecham, to form GlaxoSmithKline plc.

As I understand this "charitable" trust is owned by GlaxoSmithKline plc, LOL.

Conflicts of interest?, nah, not with this government surely.

Oh and the Chairman of Welcome Trust is William Castell

Sir William Martin Castell LVO (born 10 April 1947) is Chairman of the Wellcome Trust, a Director of General Electric and a former Director of BP. He was CEO of Amersham plc from 1989 until it was acquired by GE in April 2004 and then became CEO of GE Healthcare and a Vice-Chairman of GE.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

We need to make them listen. But unfortunately any effective methods are illegal due to their own paranoia and the irresponsibility of criminals. Besides, nobody has the balls any more to do what is necessary against the real evils destroying this planet.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Why don't people just stop eating so much and then GMO crops can't be justified.
(Not that they can .)
GMO = junk
Limbo

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Lets demand that Prince Charles entire organic farm land, THE LAND THAT FEEDS THE ELITE, be converted to GM crop production!

Come on you scumbags, lets see YOU eating this crap!

It's strange that we see so many news items that say
"Scientists prove that organic food tastes no better than supermarket food"
Or another common one is
"Scientists prove that organic food does not have more vitamins"

Both those statements avoid the following
"Scientists prove NON organic food is drenched in chemicals" And that is the reason Prince bleedin Charles is the elites supplier of NON TOXIC food.

THEY DON'T EAT WHAT WE EAT
THAT'S WHY THEY SAY ITS SAFE

COZ THEY AINT EATING IT!

edit on 28-5-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Monsanto is the central bank of the food supply and I highly doubt they are going away. Food is expensive enough as it is and those bastards are going to make organics financially beyond the reach of most consumers. They operate using back doors and secret hallways, slyly and well behind the scenes they play the pieces on the board. Generally I'm an optimist but I think they'll bribe and cheat their way into total control of the food supply. I F***ing HATE them

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Limbo

Like you said I do not think that they can stop eating as much. It is an addiction. Especially with all the sugar and additives in food products these days. Sugar is a big killer. And yet it seems peeps do not take notice or they do not care...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

LOL! I doubt we will ever see them eating GM. It really does disgust me the way they lie to us. They really do not care one iota about any of us. As long as their pockets are lined and they get a good deal. They will never care. They have lost all compassion for their fellow human being.. It is very sad and quite disturbing....

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Monsanto is the central bank of the food supply and I highly doubt they are going away.

Well put! I think it would take a huuuge amount effort to even try to make Monsanto go away. I do not like them either.
What might make them go away is if all farmers decided no they were not going to be in Monsanto's pockets. They even say themselves of their website:

Monsanto could not exist without famers.

www.monsanto.com...

And I do not know if you have ever looked at their websites or their accounts on social media. But they way they tout themselves as being eco friendly and wanting to care for the earth. What utter rubbish. However I have noticed now that it seems peeps are waking up. If you look at their Twitter or Facebook accounts many many many comments are from peeps who do not care for GM. And want them to stop.

"Why wont you let the people eating your "food" know what's in it and where it comes from?? What are you afraid of? Oh, its made with poison.....I wonder if you feed this garbage to your own families???"

"All I want to know is why are you lobbying so hard to keep me from knowing what my family consumes? Your link answer is VAGUE at best."

"There are countless documentary's available, that show that Monsanto is nothing more than a money making machine that cares nothing about healthy food. Don't be a redneck and trust a multinational.
www.youtube.com..."

www.facebook.com...

And there is plenty more of that! It is quite fun actually. I have asked them many questions myself. I have even taken screenshots of articles about them and asked them why they are so bad. Funny thing is they never reply.....
The least we can do is just troll them to death.....

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
S+F OP, it is tragically only a matter of years until our food is like the Americans, ie, laced with GMO.

Who is going to stop them? The government is utterly sold out.

I am convinced GMO is the 'final solution' to population control.

'Mistakes' will kill of millions, if not billions until they 'iron out' their product and make it safe. They know full well what they are doing.

Worst of all? Humanity will sit back and let it happen because deep down, we all pray it is just 'conspiracy nonsense' and everything will be OK.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

Thanks Wonderer....

Who is going to stop them? The government is utterly sold out.

It is completely sold out. The only thing that could possibly stop them is if we all and I do mean all of us become self sufficient. Then we would not have to purchase any of their crap. I.e. food or warmth or power..

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Yeah, couldn't exist without the farmers, but here is the problem. I've asked all of my neighbors, here in Mid MI about what they plant, and where the seed is from, ect. I have no idea why, but the only seed they are able to purchase is GMO! The Mills around here are not even offering Organic to commercial farmers. Two actually looked into it after we had a discussion about GMO. They went as far as three towns out from here.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Yeah, couldn't exist without the farmers, but here is the problem. I've asked all of my neighbors, here in Mid MI about what they plant, and where the seed is from, ect. I have no idea why, but the only seed they are able to purchase is GMO! The Mills around here are not even offering Organic to commercial farmers. Two actually looked into it after we had a discussion about GMO. They went as far as three towns out from here.

I know that is the problem. If the farmers could I am sure that the majority would want GM free seeds. I wonder if they have ever looked into bulk buying from online maybe..
Monsanto is making it more and more difficult for farmers like the ones you described to purchase anything that is not GM. It is ridiculous. We should have a choice....!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join