It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Chinese hacking - this time it's Australia's spy agency, ASIO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

The revelation by ABC TV's Four Corners that China is suspected of pinching the blueprints for ASIO's allegedly high-security and massively expensive new building on the shore of Lake Burley Griffin ought really to be filed under the heading of "payback".

ABC
Herald
It isn't the Aussies per se that should be worried about this but its bum buddies the U.S. and its secrets. After all, it's not like Australia itself has so much to hide. The U.S. on the other hand...

How much longer will Western governments give effective carte blanche to Chinese and Russian hackers to steal whatever they please? Will it take the shut down of a power grid or an entire banking system until the cyber war escalates to the ordnance variety?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
hmm..
Thanks, World Reserve Currency, But No Thanks: Australia And ...
www.zerohedge.com/ news/ 2013-03-31/ thanks-world-reserve-currency-no-thanks-australia-and-china-enable-di rect-currency-c

31 Mar 2013 ... Over the weekend, Australia appears to have come to the same conclusion, with the ... will enable the direct convertibility of the Australian dollar into Chinese yuan, without US ... Karl also took a steamy dump on owning Gold.

..we live in interesting times

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The Chinese are worried because Australia is poised to become the world's second superpower.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
The Chinese are worried because Australia is poised to become the world's second superpower.

Lol what makes you say that ? Sorry but i dont see that happening .

Check out THIS site where you can view rankings.

W are not even close to worlds second superpower.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Nah, not by a long shot.
Our current standing is a mirage, sad to say.

a simple 3x1 house for $450,000 in suburbia?... thats a joke.
Fly in Fly out workers being paid $150,000 for a job they should be paid $80k for?.... not going to last.
Ripping of China with our Iron ore by a massive margin is about to explode in our faces.
Unemployment is slowing rising
Our debt is QUICKLY rising

I'm holing out for China to stop buying our Iron, for the Yanky doodles to stop investing in our gas fields forcing people out of the job and selling all these houses for cheap!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbspiracy

The revelation by ABC TV's Four Corners that China is suspected of pinching the blueprints for ASIO's allegedly high-security and massively expensive new building on the shore of Lake Burley Griffin ought really to be filed under the heading of "payback".

ABC
Herald
It isn't the Aussies per se that should be worried about this but its bum buddies the U.S. and its secrets. After all, it's not like Australia itself has so much to hide. The U.S. on the other hand...

How much longer will Western governments give effective carte blanche to Chinese and Russian hackers to steal whatever they please? Will it take the shut down of a power grid or an entire banking system until the cyber war escalates to the ordnance variety?

Firstly, Australia has a lot to worry about if foreign entities are hacking into ASIO's systems. Australia has just had blueprints of ASIO's new headquarters stolen...that is serious! Who knows what other confidential stuff the Chinese got while they were snooping around. Yes, they could have got a hold of US stuff by hacking ASIO, but in this case, Australia has much more to worry about.

Secondly, I assure you that the agencies (ASIS, ASIO, DSD and others) are doing the best they can to halt the espionage being conducted on behalf of Russia and China.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I dont think the Chinese got anything.
Everyones pretty cluey about China hacking left right and centre.
Id say the Aussies were prepared and simply put up something fake!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I think it is just a point of getting to know what your rival in the region (Australia in some respects) is getting up to. As for us being a superpower...it was possible, once (we were blocked by the USA and UK in a lot of our attempts to become more powerful), but not anymore (unless we get ourselves a damn good PM who actually has Australia's interests at heart).

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by daaskapital

I dont think the Chinese got anything.
Everyones pretty cluey about China hacking left right and centre.
Id say the Aussies were prepared and simply put up something fake!

We can only hope!

I have much faith in Australia's intelligence agencies in that they wouldn't let material fall easily into 'enemy' hands.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Seriously I have told many AUS members that getting into bed with china isnt a good idea but many have come on here talking crap about the USA I told them it would only be a matter of time before unemployment happened lol The Chinese ship in their own workers they then buy off politicians and the system falls housing goes unemployment hits and large corporations reap the rewards when salaries drop the Chinese then buy large amounts of land set up shop and bring in their own businesses to kill the small mom and pop shops.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

Without nukes, no one can be a superpower (unless some sci-fi alien tech appears out of nowhere). The only way Australia will ever be a superpower is if that "Ameristralia" joke somehow became fact.

What's scary here is that nothing can be done. It's like hacking an air-tight means of espionage because a state can simply deny any evidence exists and any that may exists is circumstantial at best. China have already donned the Sergeant Schultz helmet over this incident, as is their wont.

It's also been said that the U.S. (CIA) have often used China as a 'conduit' for their own hacking in order to divert blame – i.e., using Chinese servers to make it look like the hacks emanate from there. Remember 'Stuxnet'? (...although that virus was likely implanted via physical means). A virus which the Chinese then took and recoded it to bring down an Indian satellite.

But the real question is: Are we already in the midst of a 'Cyber World War I'?
edit on 28-5-2013 by Dumbspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Lol what makes you say that ? Sorry but i dont see that happening.

Looks like your humour detection kit needs an overhaul.

edit on 28/5/13 by Sankari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
What people need to understand is the the Chinese are no match for the U.S., let alone the collective 'West' in any future conflict; irrespective of all the herp-derp bluster regarding the supposed changing of the superpower 'guard'.

As such, the only chance China would have against the U.S. Seventh Fleet is to cripple them electronically. For this to work, China must hit first or they will surely finish second in any conflict.

Herein lies the danger: China must strike first in any potential clash with the West and thus may well be spoiling for this through such cyber attacks / thefts as have occurred here. Moreover, if one such infiltration has occurred, it's reasonable to expect many more have succeeded also (but haven't made it into mainstream media) and that if Australia is doable, other, less developed nations are certainly easy pickings.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbspiracy

Without nukes, no one can be a superpower (unless some sci-fi alien tech appears out of nowhere). The only way Australia will ever be a superpower is if that "Ameristralia" joke somehow became fact.

What's scary here is that nothing can be done. It's like hacking an air-tight means of espionage because a state can simply deny any evidence exists and any that may exists is circumstantial at best. China have already donned the Sergeant Schultz helmet over this incident, as is their wont.

It's also been said that the U.S. (CIA) have often used China as a 'conduit' for their own hacking in order to divert blame – i.e., using Chinese servers to make it look like the hacks emanate from there. Remember 'Stuxnet'? (...although that virus was likely implanted via physical means). A virus which the Chinese then took and recoded it to bring down an Indian satellite.

But the real question is: Are we already in the midst of a 'Cyber World War I'?
edit on 28-5-2013 by Dumbspiracy because: (no reason given)

Star for you my friend . Id rather Ameristralia never happens to be honest lol. We like australia fine the way it is , bar a few things.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Lol what makes you say that ? Sorry but i dont see that happening.

Looks like your humour detection kit needs an overhaul.

edit on 28/5/13 by Sankari because: (no reason given)

No, Maybe you need to post what you really mean instead of being sarcastic on the internet.

top topics

join