It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hunting for Alien Megastructures"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Here you go, you all may get a kick out of this:

Apparently they may have already discovered some Dyson Spheres!

Okay a bit over the top, but it still doesn't change what they have found:

SETI has adopted these assumptions in their search, looking for such "infrared heavy" spectra from solar analogs. As of 2005 Fermilab has an ongoing survey for such spectra by analyzing data from the Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS).[25][26] Identifying one of the many infra-red sources as a Dyson Sphere would require improved techniques for discriminating between a Dyson Sphere and natural sources.[27] Fermilab discovered 17 potential "ambiguous" candidates of which four have been named "amusing but still questionable".[28] Other searches also resulted in several candidates, which are however unconfirmed.[29]

Source

So, 17 potential candidates (using one of the methods I touched on), of which 4 have been named as questionable.

So not quite a "Eureka!" they've found it.....but still finding something that gives us that Mr. Spock look of raising a single eyebrow.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I'd say! That is really amazing. As we get more sensitive equipment to check these "hits' out you just never know. Billions of galaxies with billions of stars and people out there that might be millions of years older than us (like in that book I just read "Bowl of Heaven" ) I would not be surprised. Hope the info flows freely.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
reply to post by TrueBrit

The problems with finding ET communications signals is a complex one.

SETI has assumed that ET, assuming they desire to advertise their presence or like Humanity on Earth, have been careless about their radio emissions and allow them to radiate into space for anyone who might be listening to pick up, will be broadcasting using radio.

This is a ridiculous assumption.

We assume ET is technologicaly advanced, so my guess would be that they would no longer be using something as primitive as radio, and would more than likely be using a communications system based in Quantum science.

Probably far ahead of our own currently early poking and prodding into the area of the Quantum sciences.

Perhaps ET's signals are....all around us, everywhere we look in space. The problem is, if they are using a form of Quantum entanglement having got around the decoherence problems we're currently scratching our heads about, the moment we try to 'read' or otherwise detect one of their Quantum signals...it degrades into random noise due to decoherence.

Maybe the random static or noise we see and hear on an untuned TV or radio set...is actually the remains of ET's Quantum communications, broken down into nothing coherent becuase we observed it or tried to record/listen to it.

As we make progress in the Quantum field...we'll probably discover the chatter surrounding our local area of the Galaxy is everywhere.

IGPPA requires all radio transmitions to be directed and not generally broadcasted, you know the
Inter-Galatic Privacy and Portability Act?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There are many credible reports of UFO sightings . Even there is a rumor that Aliens are living amongst us , such as MIB

So , why don't we simply ask them where did they come from instead of spending billions of $$ in the name of Alien hunt ?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicQuest
There are many credible reports of UFO sightings . Even there is a rumor that Aliens are living amongst us , such as MIB

So , why don't we simply ask them where did they come from instead of spending billions of $$ in the name of Alien hunt ?

Not making fun of you or anything like that, but last I looked, UFOs don't exactly land with aliens popping out at Universities so scientist can ask them questions, and do you or anyone you know have the addresses of any MIBs?

So while what you suggest might make sense, it's a bit problematic.

We don't actually spend "billions" of dollars on SETI. Most of the funds for doing research that is specifically for SETI comes from donations.

Using data that was from NASA equipment (like the IRAS IR data), the money spent by NASA was for other research. However the data is available for all to look at, even SETI groups.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

do you or anyone you know have the addresses of any MIBs?

I bet ' The Federal Government of USA ' has their addresses

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That book I mention in relation to this thread "Bowl of Heaven" is the authors quotes on it.

"Gregory Benford and Larry Niven will launch their new novel, Bowl of Heaven in San Diego on October 16 and follow with signings at bookstores all the way up the West Coast. (A list of dates and locations follows the jump.)

When they come back they’ll go back to work on the sequel, Shipstar.

Benford talks about Big Dumb Objects vs. Big Smart Objects on his blog,and in the same post Larry Niven pitches the basic idea:

With Greg Benford I was willing to take a whack at a Dyson-level civilization. Greg shaped the Bowl in its first design. It had a gaudy simplicity that grabbed me from the start. It was easy to work with: essentially a Ringworld with a lid, and a star for a motor. We got Don Davis involved in working some dynamite paintings.

Greg kept seeing implications. The Bowl’s history grew more and more elaborate. Ultimately I knew we’d need at least two volumes to cover everything we’d need to show.''

link with picture of "bowl" file770.com...-10555 ALSO GO HERE www.gregorybenford.com...
edit on 29-5-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Truth is that any civilization advanced enough to create these "Mega Structures" would more than likely be beyond our current level of comprehension. We would probably observe these structures and assign some other explanation to them than what they actually are. That holds true for any civilization that is more advanced than us, we would be hard pressed to actually identify what we are observing. A Kardashev Type II or III civilization would seem godlike to us and the technology they use would seem much like magic to us but the most intelligent of our species.

That being said it is highly likely that these Mega Structures do exist somewhere in the vastness of our Universe. And with the upcoming launches of the JW Space Telescope and others we are more than likely to encounter or observe one of these structures in the near future. Maybe within our own galaxy or neighboring galaxies. If we haven't already.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Would a superstructure (Dyson sphere or ring) maintain a stable orbit around a star? Considering the mass involved, how much energy would be required to keep it in a stable orbit? Would the structural integrity of say a mile thick "skin" be enough to withstand fracturing, cracking, breaking under it's own gravity and stresses/strains?

As for the variants like the swarm, yeah. It makes sense, depending on how close you want to get to the star and overcoming energy transmission problems. That could be a work in progress that never ends; every generation contributing a new structure. Big super satellites. Heck, just pull the asteroids into closer orbit and trick them out in solar energy sucking cells. Let mother nature do the hard work for you.

But a solid spherical/ring structure... no.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Yes definitely not a new idea but a fruitful one. I always thought that we should be able to see traces of hyper advanced civilizations with such footprints.

But just because we don't, doesn't mean they aren't there. It should be child's play for any sufficiently advanced civilization to that has our system under scientific quarantine (the Zoo Hypothesis) to interfere with our instruments. We can contemplate nanotechnology. Someone a million years ahead of us could use quantum technology for the lack of a better term. They just throw a self-replicating, artificially intelligent, quantum level "goo" on our planet and simply block progress along certain avenues until they deem we're advanced and unifed enough (or whatever their criteria is) to interact with us.

The idea they are here in metallic discs with biological entities mucking about with pregnancies sounds more ludicrous with every new technological advance we make, let alone what a true interstellar civilization could accomplish.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Oh yes, it was either giants or aliens.

We have to ask, what happened at the Skinwalker ranch? This has been scientifically documented.

Ghosts don't mutilate cattle.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

Larry Niven's "Ringworld", he used a futuristic material that could handle the stress. He also had huge fusion ram jets mounted along either edge of the ring to help keep it centered.

-------------------------

Speaking of Alien Mega Structures, I'm reminded of Cities In Flight by James Blish.

Cities here on Earth taking to the stars.

edit on 31-5-2013 by eriktheawful because: added picture

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Futuristic materials and fusion ram ... jets? (Ptsss, it's space, that won't work unless we're in a Starwars universe!
)

Great sci-fi though, and it's that flavor of brain juices that really help mankind push the boundaries of what is possible (theoretically anyway). Two things come to mind with this concept though, linear closed system thinking and cost/benefit.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Flux8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hello All;

Perhaps our Moon is inhabited....check out this pic from Apollo 12 in the Surveyor Crater. I don't think those are rocks on the rim of that smaller crater. Zoom in to get good look....

Just my opinion I might be wrong..

NASA Image # AS12-48-7084

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is the only thread I found with a topic remotely close to what has been discovered this week. I usually stick to the science and space forums but this has peaked my interest. There are now serious scientists who think they may have found one of these structures, surprised I didn't see it on ATS first.

www.washingtonpost.com...[editby ]edit on 15-10-2015 by Vdogg because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2   >>

join