It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Look Into Future Crime Preventuion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
In Adrian Raines book "The Anatomy of Violence", in his final chapter "the future", he outlines some potential programs that he believes governments world wide will eventually institute.

In the story he tells of how this might come about:

It's 2034, and in response to rising crime levels, the government launches the LOMBROSO program - Legal Offensive on Murder: Brain Research Operation for the Screening of Offenders. All males over 18 will get screened by advanced brain imaging technologies and a DNA blood test. The brain scan will cover the "fundamental five functions": First, a structural scan provides the brains anatomy. Second, a functional scan shows resting brain activity. Third, enhanced diffusion tensor imaging is take to assess the integrity of the white fibre system in the brain, assessing intricate brain connectivity. Fourth is a reading of the brains neurochemistry that has been developed from magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Firth and finally, the cullular functional scan assess expression of 23,000 different genes at the ceullular level.

The computerization of all medical, school, psychological, census, and neighborhood data makes it easy to combine these traditional risk variables alongside the vast amount of DNA and brain data to form an all encompassing data set.

Those tagged LP-V (Lombroso positive - violence) LP-S (Lombroso positive - sex) and LP-H (Lombroso positive - homicide) are held in indefinite detention. These individuals are assessed by the above criteria and given one of these tags with a probabilistic rating i.e. a 75% chance that he will commit a violent crime, or a 80% chance that he will molest a child.

The LP's will be held in facilities with access to a phone line (or internet access), and will have to undergo a treatment program. The program will include therapy, medication, mindfulness meditation, nutrition and education.

In 2039, the government launches the NCSP (National Child Screening Program), where instead of at age 18, all children will be assessed for possible violence genes.

In 2044, research analysts suggest a further addendum to the NCSP. If children can be screen, logically, shouldn't the father and mother be as well? Thus, a prospective parent must undergo screening in order to earn his right to become a parent. Once licensed, he can have his child.

What do you think about this? Strike one as Orwellian? Or is it well reasoned and worth the risk?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I think the Elites are working their evil little butts off toward this goal. All the research groundwork is already being laid. The only problem I see with it--and it's not a particularly insurmountable problem--would be the question of how the Elites themselves would escape that particular dragnet.

There's also the slightly thornier problem that having such large numbers of people in therapy would be unproductive. They wouldn't be able to sustain the requisite number of slaves-per-Elite.....

ETA: Actually, after a few moments' serious thought, it occurs to me that I think we'll get to the DNA screening and "reproductive licensing" sooner than that--probably skipping the pre-crime part altogether. It's no stretch at all to see population limits coming pretty soon; and, while they're at it, they might as well use existing technology to decide who the allowed producers will be. That also leaves the Elites out of the equation, as I'm sure the laws won't apply to them in any way. Probably it will only apply to those of us who have to suffer under Obamacare....

edit on 5/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

It's 2034, and in response to rising crime levels, the government launches the LOMBROSO program - Legal Offensive on Murder: Brain Research Operation for the Screening of Offenders. All males over 18 will get screened by advanced brain imaging technologies and a DNA blood test.

If you are interested in this topic I highly suggest that you watch an anime called Psycho-Pass. It's one of the best animes ever made imo. Only problem is that it hasn't been dubbed in English yet.

The series is set in the near future in which it is possible to instantaneously quantify a person’s state of mind, personality, and probability of committing a crime, all recorded on an individual’s “Psycho-Pass”. When their “Crime Coefficient” index becomes too high, they are pursued and apprehended by police officers known as Inspectors, and their ‘hunting dogs’ the Enforcers; in this way, order is maintained. Unit One of the Public Safety Bureau’s division of criminal investigation, navigate the system to uphold justice in their seemingly Utopian society.

myanimelist.net...

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Interesting. I haven't read the full Article on it yet, to see if this would actually happen but I'm sure something will be implemented similar.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think that the end part, about people will have to get screened to get children, sounds somewhat likely. But I think it will be for entirely different reasons than the ones presented in this.
I find it more likely that as overpopulation becomes an increasing problem, the right of having children will be limited to society's upper classes. Those who are denied the right will very likely be considered criminals, but it won't be because of a predisposition to commit murder.
Some people have genetic traits knows as the warrior gene, as far as I can remember, and if confronted or cornered, this gene will most likely trigger, putting them into a somewhat psychotic state. But for most this is not really a problem, since people are rarely put in such situations, and they remain just as normal as the rest of us.

I hope that eventually we will be able to create an environment in which everyone can feel safe. I think the proactive approach is by far superior when dealing with crime. But I fear that we will return to the conditions we had here in Denmark some 300 years ago. Where the country was ruled by the wealthy elite, royalty and such, and the population was denied the ability to move. Not just out of the country, but out of their towns. They were basically slaves.
In the same way - when look at how many people are in prison in the states, I can't help but think that eventually those prisons must turn into little towns. I know convicts are already used as cheap labor, so it is only a matter of time.
I think the percentage of the population that is in prison in the states, in the highest of any nation in modern history. That is kinda scary.

Just found some interesting numbers:
Incarceration in the United States
Compared to other parts of the world
Timeline of US incarceration

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

If you would like a fuller treatment of Adrian Raines book, you could check out my thread Biosocial Factors and Crime

There IS a relationship between genes, brain abnormalities and violent behavior. The science is definitely legitimate - in theory, since it isn't quite as evolved as Raine would like, but it could very well get there in the next 20 or 30 years.

The question is: is it smart to do this? I think Raine is underestimating the possible abuses of power that this program could afford the government. He likens LOMBROSO to other social advances which have become normalized today, but in the past, may have been regarded as "invasive". But there is such a thing as a degree of invasiveness. With this program, the very brain of a person will be analyzed. Only experts within the field will have the prowess to judge who is and who isn't Lombroso positive. And given the enormous amounts of people being screened, how would we be able to deal with abuses? How would we know? Would there be oversight?

I don't think it's in itself a bad idea. If we can use biological markers to predict future violence in certain people, we should. But we should limit the extent of it's use. We should NOT make it a nationwide mandatory program, but instead use for repeat offenders. We should definitely steer clear of a his eugenic suggestion that we should ultimately "license" people to have children.

Why do I say this? Because I'm skeptical of how good Raine thinks this would be. He says people who resist this "progress" want to preserve the status quo. I couldn't agree more! The status quo is more than a state of violence. It's also cultural diversity; philosophical diversity, people with conservative beliefs, liberals beliefs, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus. How would a government with a philosophical bias treat it's opponents? Would they too, perhaps, be tagged as LP-H, or LP-V and subjected to treatment? People like Raine - a person who flat out denies free will, as if it were a scientifically proven fact - show themselves to possess traits that would worry a civil libertarian.

When such power exists to such an extent, the idea would likely rise: "look at what we could do with this program. We could flesh out cultural dissidents, and work to make the world an even better place. After all, there is a connection between ideology and violence. If people all shared the same ideology, than, violence levels would be further reduced". Raines way of thinking is not so far off from making this deduction, and THAT is what scares me.

I have the courage to use this program in a limited way. But I'm not so quixotic as to completely ignore the possible infractions of power that this program would likely create.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Well I believe that if we can detect the genes that cause violence that we will have the tech to alter them also, therefore this scenario simply would be fixed, not taken to extreme measures of preventing people from having children.

You get the test, it shows your child will have violent genes, you undergo a simple procedure to alter or remove those genes, and your good to go.

That is how I see it playing out.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Well I believe that if we can detect the genes that cause violence that we will have the tech to alter them also, therefore this scenario simply would be fixed, not taken to extreme measures of preventing people from having children.

To be honest, the chances of us "finding" genes specific to violence are not very good. Although some scientists love talking this way, at our current rate, it would be hundreds of years from now until we can make a one on one correspondence between genes and behavior. Right now were struggling to figure out how genes even work. We know certain genes are involved in certain diseases, but then it gets more complicated: these genes are not solitary but interact with other genes. And they don't just interact, but interact in a specific way, in a certain order. It's extremely complicated.

Raines suggestion that we screen prospective parents would be a possible solution, one that would seem more enticing because "removing genes" although sound in theory, is so far off into the future.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

To be honest, the chances of us "finding" genes specific to violence are not very good.

I'd have to agree, but many serial killers are psychopaths who lack the ability to feel empathy and remorse. I wouldn't say it's so much that they have a violent gene, but they lack something in a specific part of their brain or that part of their brain hasn't developed properly due to bad gene mutations or other factors.

But still I'd have to guess that true psychopaths are fairly rare with respect to all murderers. I personally believe that our experiences and memories, especially during the early childhood phase, are crucial to the emotional and psychological development of a person. A person who experiences too much trauma or suffering in their life can easily become detached and filled with hate. I think all of us have the ability to snap if we get pushed too far. I know deep inside me I have the ability to kill a person if they push me too far.

EDIT: and just as a side note that is why I really like Psycho-Pass, they don't base their measurements on genetic principles, it's something more like they analyze the current brain activity of the person to determine their general emotional state and frame of mind. Highly disturbed or irrational people will have "clouded hues" when scanned. Once their "crime coefficient" becomes too high they are considered a threat to society and forced to undergo rehabilitation therapy or jailed. And the scanning devices exist around every corner like CCTV cameras in the UK, total surveillance state.
edit on 27/5/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I will check out your thread. Thanks.

I'm not so sure this lombroso program would be a good idea.

I don't think its fair to judge somebody before they've done anything wrong. It sounds like a very twisted prejudiced judicial system to me. Its entering a territory usually left to a judge and jury to be replaced by doctors or scientists.

It's open to be wrongly accused with no case to defend ones self.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I was just watching short films on YouTube and I came across a really cool short film which portrays yet another interesting take on future crime prevention. Definitely worth watching:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Oh I have no doubt something like this will be introduced. The thing is, I don't think we'll have to wait until 2035 to see it. I'd be surprised if they don't try to shove it in our faces by 2020.

Think about it. 9/11 was one day. A few hours changed everything. The instant it happened, freedom started to fall away like dust in the wind. TPTB certainly can convince people to accept this kind of thing.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

violent gene,

You Should read the book. There are genes that are partly involved in aggressive behavior. They've done studies with rats which shows that those who have been bred without the gene act more aggressively with other rats. They then tested this hypothesis in humans, and it turns out that most psychopaths and repeat criminals have a lower level of this gene.

At the same time, this is only one gene (can't remember the name as I don't have the book with me); there are others.

but they lack something in a specific part of their brain or that part of their brain hasn't developed properly due to bad gene mutations or other factors.

There are so many processes involved, one wonders how they'll ever be able to figure out how genes interact to produce the physiological disease we experience. Scientists are beginning to understand that the body acts as one big system. One gene interacts with a school of other genes in producing this physiological effect. The degree of complexity here is staggering. You should check out the book "why us" for an interesting analysis of this situation.

I think all of us have the ability to snap if we get pushed too far.

You bring up a point.

Everyone can be led to miscreant behavior - but not everybody has the same potential. Prenatal complications and early life experiences can predispose one to psychopathy. For instance, infants without a mother to bond with in the first 2 years of life are many times more likely to develop psychopathic tendencies.

Those of us who merely make bad life decisions, and via these decisions, sculpt are brain chemistry in a negative way, SHOULD be treated differently from people who have been impaired from birth, childhood or are dealing with a cyst or tumor growth that is impairing cognitive function. I DO believe there is free will, and if you kill someone, an aspect of punishment should be retributive.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
bump

top topics

join