It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantConfusion3
reply to post by Hopechest

I COULD afford my children! You are not the ONLY one who busted their rump going to school and working forever. I didn't go to clubs, or buy clothes, or eat out, or splurge on anything! I got HURT! All your sacrifices, all your schooling and all your saving wont save you if YOU get hurt, or get cancer. No amount of arguement will effect you at this point. Its useless. You will learn on your own, eventually, as most people these days do. I wonder with an attitude like yours, when you fall off of your horse, will anyone be there to help YOU?

Well if you'd read the entire thread you will have seen where I stated that people who do get serious injuries or diseases should be taken care of.

That is unavoidable and not there fault.

The person that has 5 kids by the time they are 25 and then suddenly finds themself on the street I have no sympathy for.

I would yank their children, make them wards of the State, then hope they take the necessary steps to get their children back.

I would not enable them however.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

When one can not afford medical treatment there is little an ill person can do about their mental illness without help.

Giving cash to someone who abuses drugs in never a good idea, giving food to a hungry person regardless of their background is always the right thing to do.

How do you know most of the people at the soup kitchen are lazy drug addicts?

I've talked to many homeless people and many of them are full of lies and will tell you anything to get a handout. Some of them are even content with their situation. I don't think you realize how difficult it is for someone with no place to live, no place to shower, no way to keep clean clothes to find work.

Being a transient sailor I get looked down in places like the Florida Keys because we are considered one step above the homeless.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

I agree with you here.

There is a often a fine line between charity and enabling someone, especially with the homeless.

+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Sounds to me like you are jealous because you have lived your life the "right way" by your morals, and as you stated you have missed out on things because you deemed them un-affordable. If we waited for the perfect opportunity to do things in life, we'd all be spending a lot of time waiting around doing nothing.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

King

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I'll try doing this the right way

Most people don't realize that they can do everything right in this life and still end up with nothing - we don't all start out the same - we don't all share the same strengths and weaknesses. Life can deal you a bad hand - one serious illness can take everything. There are a lot of people these days in this economy working marginal jobs - or without jobs at all. They rely on family - or friends - but what about those that don't have any kind of support?

I don't drive - I walk every where or take public transportation. I walk past areas regularly where the homeless sleep at night and then places where they're looking for help during the day. They sleep out in the freezing cold and stand in the snow, the sun - with out much food or water. Anyone that thinks begging is easy should maybe try it some time

If you talk to some of these people and get to know them a little - the stories you'll hear are amazing - and you'll meet all kinds of people. Young, old, veterans, mentally ill, most desperate for work. As the guy in your video said - it's hard to build from ground zero - when you've got nothing you can't even stay clean. You've got no address, no phone - you just try to make it from one day to the next and that takes everything you've got. There's only so many places that can help - and they're maxed out a lot of times. There's no room in the shelter - or, as on guy told me - the shelters are scarier than the street sometimes. One veteran in a wheelchair just recently told me he's on a list with the VA to get a room - but he has to have one that's wheelchair accessible - and those are all taken. He's been sleeping outside while he waits

With this current economy I've seen it grow - and there are people now showing up on the street that weren't there before - young families even. Just recently met a young married couple living in their car - she was sobbing while he was walking the highway with a sign...

I don't understand people who would rather turn away or punish people that don't measure up to their standards. I said this in another thread yesterday - but I almost feel sorry for them. They must be empty inside

Anyway, S&F for putting this out there

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

I agree with you here.

There is a often a fine line between charity and enabling someone, especially with the homeless.

That was the only point I was trying to make.

Charity is great, which is why I have volunteered at homeless shelters, but that charity will often be taken for granted by many in the homeless community. Many of them have no desire to change or dig themselves out of the hole they are in.

I say to hell with those individuals.

+8 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The U.S.A. has over 50,000,000 people on foodstamps and other
government programs.There are NO JOBS out there for american
citizens.What jobs are available costs businesses too much to hire
americans.Illegals and immigrants fill these jobs because they can be
paid cheaper wages without any benefits.

Bottomline...Be very careful how you treat others,one day you could
wake up and find yourself in their situation,jobless,homeless and begging
for handouts.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

The U.S.A. has over 50,000,000 people on foodstamps and other
government programs.There are NO JOBS out there for american
citizens.What jobs are available costs businesses too much to hire
americans.Illegals and immigrants fill these jobs because they can be
paid cheaper wages without any benefits.

Bottomline...Be very careful how you treat others,one day you could
wake up and find yourself in their situation,jobless,homeless and begging
for handouts.

That is one of the biggest copouts I have ever heard.

There are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is that many people refuse to do certain work. If the pay is low than go out and get 3 of them, improve your skillset, and start moving up to better jobs.

You are excusing people for being lazy.

+6 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.

What goes around comes around Hope......and there but for the grace of chance go you or i.....
You got no call to hold those hateful thoughts, but i guess there an excuse for everyones shortcommings....
I truely resent your attitude however ,,,,,,god bless the chile what got his own.
The poor you will always have with you.....why because the rest of us have little or no compassion or understanding....and are overwhelmed by self interest

edit on 26-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ConstantConfusion3

Life, what can I say - it can go from GREAT to CRAP in a moment. One shouldn't expect society to bail them out, that only breeds dependency.....not to mention society can not afford it either.

+12 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Wow, you actually do have a "God Complex" like you advertise in your avatar.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of compassion instead judging other people. Perhaps I can turn around some of my bad Karma that I incurred when I was filled with moral superiority and arrogance.

edit on 26-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by stirling

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
-Confucius

+9 more 
link   

There are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is that many people refuse to do certain work. If the pay is low than go out and get 3 of them, improve your skillset, and start moving up to better jobs.

Can you tell me how someone would have the time to improve themselves when they have to work 3 jobs? And how do they get any jobs in the first place? Like buddy said, "How can I leave a number, I don't have a home?"

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Wow, you actually do have a "God Complex" like you advertise in your avatar.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of compassion instead judging other people. Perhaps I can turn around some of my bad Karma that I incurred when I was filled with moral superiority.

I haven't judged anybody. I was generalizing between those that deserve charity and those that don't.

Many in this thread believe all homeless people should be helped and I say some don't deserve it. Some need to be kicked in the back while you stroll by them and hopefully knock some commonsense into them so they get motivated to get out of their situation.

+15 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I haven't had a helping hand since I turned 18....I did not use drugs or get myself pregnant....sacrificed many a relationship because I chose to work and go to school instead of running out to the clubs on the weekend or buying new clothes.

Same here. And yet, I still ended up homeless, through no fault of my own. Fortunately, there are people out there who have a heart and helped me out when I was down. I was able to turn it around and I consider myself fortunate.

Later, my sister and her husband ended up without a home. We helped them out in their time of need, or they might still be on the streets.

You have a very cynical attitude about the homeless, judging the majority of them as having made bad decisions. Sometimes, that's true, and sometimes, homeless people do drugs and drink. But to put them all in one basket (beneath you) and to think you know what's going on is just ignorance on your part.

Who is Homeless?

I know you probably have no sympathy for the fact, but one in four veterans are homeless. I'm not proud of a country who doesn't take care of their veterans.

Some people have children, jobs and everything is going great. And THEN something happens that results in their homelessness. I sure hope that never happens to you because karma's a bitch.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Problem is so many of you think every homeless individual wants to help themselves, that all those on foodstamps want to better themselves. But open your eyes, many of them don't. They are perfectly happy with staying on social assistance. Why go out and work your ass off when it is much more easy to stay at home and collect all the free stuff.

I am all for giving a helping hand but the culture of entitlement.....don't support that at all.
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This is without a doubt one of the most ignorant things I've heard anybody say here at ATS in a very long time

Do you even read the news?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Can you tell me how someone would have the time to improve themselves when they have to work 3 jobs? And how do they get any jobs in the first place? Like buddy said, "How can I leave a number, I don't have a home?"

Do you believe some people could find themselves on the street and dig themselves out of the hole through hard work and motivation?

If one person could do it than anyone could.

I've seen people fall on hard times and end up on the street and make it out...I've seen others in the exact same situation give up and turn to drugs and alcohol.

Two people, same situation.

The only difference is one wants out and the other doesn't care. They don't deserve equal sympathy.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

This is without a doubt one of the most ignorant things I've heard anybody say here at ATS in a very long time

Do you even read the news?

Not really, its all biased.

You should never trust what the MSM is telling you....first rule of ATS

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Problem is so many of you think every homeless individual wants to help themselves, that all those on foodstamps want to better themselves. But open your eyes, many of them don't. They are perfectly happy with staying on social assistance. Why go out and work your ass off when it is much more easy to stay at home and collect all the free stuff.

I am all for giving a helping hand but the culture of entitlement.....don't support that at all.
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Thank you

My point exactly!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join