It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Self-Defense/Intervention Against Knife-Wielding Maniacs...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If I saw about half a dozen large males (armed with knives) violently assaulting a couple of young schoolboys and then proceeded to intervene (with them coming at me with knives intent on killing) and in the process killed five of them (with bare hands - no weapons; though I did not intend to kill them and feared for my life) and knocked the other unconscious - would I be imprisoned?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
If I saw about half a dozen large males (armed with knives) violently assaulting a couple of young schoolboys and then proceeded to intervene (with them coming at me with knives intent on killing) and in the process killed five of them (with bare hands - no weapons; though I did not intend to kill them and feared for my life) and knocked the other unconscious - would I be imprisoned?

I can't imagine why. After you'd snapped the neck of the first person to come at you, if the rest miraculously allowed you to take them out one by one, without showing any signs of retreat, I think you'd be good to go. You'd have loads of hot chicks wanting to bed you and grateful citizens begging for your autograph and a picture before you could leave, tho'.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Everything depends on the reason behind why you did something and did you have to kill them...did you stop them escaping and break their necks etc...spend 5 mins bashing the last guys brains into a wall etc...the question is down to reasonable force...if the force was reasonable to the threat then its fine but if its excessive then you're in trouble

link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

No It is known as reasonable force.

Don't see it happening though .

link   

If you were in danger of bodily harm? No. You would not. (Obviously as long as you could convince a Jury).

Is this something you are planning to do?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

If you were in danger of bodily harm? No. You would not. (Obviously as long as you could convince a Jury).

Thanks for the answer.

Regarding the bit in bold - no of course it's not something I plan to do (that would be premeditated murder). Rather, I'm just trying to find out how the UK law stands on this matter - because it seems to me that people are fearful of intervening in crimes, not only because they're obviously scared of being hurt, but also because they fear being imprisoned. For example, homeowners are imprisoned even when protecting their properties from burglars by shooting them...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Same question as asked on digital spy eh richard henley?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I do not recommend following any advice you will find regarding these matters on any private forum, valid or not.

The best course of action is to do some research on applicable laws in your country, state, province, city etc.

These laws vary greatly, especially with the variety in legal definitions. Best thing to do is inquire with your local law enforcement station if you are unclear.

You should familiarize yourself with the following (but not limited to):
-Laws pertaining to self defense
-Laws pertaining to stand ground policies.

Quite a morbid scenario you are asking about though.
edit on 23-5-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Are you stalking me?

I just like different perspectives - I am a member of several forums; the internet being a free country and all!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Thanks for the answer.

Regarding the bit in bold - no of course it's not something I plan to do (that would be premeditated murder). Rather, I'm just trying to find out how the UK law stands on this matter - because it seems to me that people are fearful of intervening in crimes, not only because they're obviously scared of being hurt, but also because they fear being imprisoned. For example, homeowners are imprisoned even when protecting their properties from burglars by shooting them...

As the saying goes, "I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by six!" As to your claim about homeowners being imprisoned when protecting their properties, there's been a few relatively recent high profile cases where people haven't been charged when they've killed an intruder.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Sir, if its anything like the recent attack, you have nothing to worry about.

These supposed "crazed" attackers were so "out of their minds" that they engaged in some normal polite conversation after the fact:

"These two guys were crazed. They were just not there. They were just animals."

Ok.

Afterward, the men appeared to want to be filmed, with one of the attackers going over to a bus and asking people to take photos of him as if he wanted to be on TV.

Thats weird.

Then, a man with a cleaver and knife in his bloody hands "came straight to me (and) said, 'No, no, no, it's cool. I just want to talk to you.'"

Thats completely normal.

source

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Nothing worse than trying to convey the same info twice

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

If you lived in my state (Texas) not only would you not go to jail but you would be given a parade and somebody would probably send you on an all expenses paid trip to Disney. If you lived in a more liberally minded state there is a chance you could go to prison for the rest of your life without the chance of parole. It really all depends on your location.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

For example, homeowners are imprisoned even when protecting their properties from burglars by shooting them...

Is that a reference to Tony Martin?

He was imprisoned because he followed Fred Barras as he was crawling away and executed him. Martin was in no bodily danger at the time as Barras was attempting to leave.

Martin's mistake was not killing Fearon and Barras with his first shot as they were entering his house.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

So the question you're asking is does the UK have laws against a person defending themselves? Basically any force you use has to be reasonable & in your situation defending yourself against such attackers would be reasonable... to me, but you never know.

top topics

join