It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Light: House committee passes Iran sanctions legislation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The measure, passed 99-0, also supports the full implementation of U.S. and international sanctions on Iran and urges the president to continue to strengthen enforcement of sanctions.

And the Senate resolved that the United States should support Israel if it is forced to take military action to defend itself from an Iranian nuclear threat.

news.yahoo.com...
www.ynetnews.com...

What an over-whelming vote. Now, the US is by law obligated to assist the Israel militarily if any war were to break out between to the two nations. Not sure if they will need to help with the initial attack on the nuclear facilities, or maybe it's only a defensive obligation. Either way, this is what Israel has been waiting for.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It won't be long before these idiots start saying we should go to war to protect Israel that is what Israel really wants. Nuttyahoo has made this clear many times. After all why get their people killed when you have another country willing to get it's people killed for you. The longer we support that racist nation will only lead to more debt and more dead soldiers. Israel needs to learn how to fight it's own wars without begging for help.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If Iran has been using Syria as a conduit to get weapons to Hezbollah, and Syria's president said he was going to activate non-military fighters (to retaliate against Israel attack recently) not affiliated with a sovereign state Islamic flag then like Assad, Iran's leadership is guilty of war crimes.

You can't enlist religious thugs to your defense without swearing them in under your sovereign flag and giving them a military uniform, legally. Presidents who lead nations are supposed to be above this kind of mafia like conduct in running their nations self-defense.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

It seems that they've done pretty well in fighting their own wars up to this point, eh? As some will never...ever...let us forget, they even managed to win a war while shooting up a U.S. Intelligence ship off the Egyptian coastline in 1967. A pretty strong bit of evidence that no US help was coming in that particular fight..yet they won. They've never lost, in point of fact.

I'll bet they can fight without us...and our beef with Iran goes back and beyond little Israel and their issues. Iran kinda made that bed in 1979 and hasn't done much to help get out of it since. Of course, we've pushed pretty hard too, all these years ..and so it's gone. We shoot an Iranian Airliner, they shoot a US Warship in exchange. Tit for Tat with Israel being a sideline player to most of it.

I'm guess they will be to this one, too. They're a regional super power....but world wise? They're a small nation. Iran is a very BIG one and as close to equal in a fight as the US has had in a few decades. I'd just as soon see us skip it entirely, but that looks increasingly unlikely.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

It seems that they've done pretty well in fighting their own wars up to this point, eh? As some will never...ever...let us forget, they even managed to win a war while shooting up a U.S. Intelligence ship off the Egyptian coastline in 1967. A pretty strong bit of evidence that no US help was coming in that particular fight..yet they won. They've never lost, in point of fact.

I'll bet they can fight without us...and our beef with Iran goes back and beyond little Israel and their issues. Iran kinda made that bed in 1979 and hasn't done much to help get out of it since. Of course, we've pushed pretty hard too, all these years ..and so it's gone. We shoot an Iranian Airliner, they shoot a US Warship in exchange. Tit for Tat with Israel being a sideline player to most of it.

I'm guess they will be to this one, too. They're a regional super power....but world wise? They're a small nation. Iran is a very BIG one and as close to equal in a fight as the US has had in a few decades. I'd just as soon see us skip it entirely, but that looks increasingly unlikely.

You forgetting how we ran to their aid back in the 70's? And I love how you constantly bring up 79 but leave out how we helped to overthrow their government in 53. So what if Israel is a small nation? They have been trying to get America to go to war with Iran for well over twenty years with the they are close to getting the bomb lie. If Israel can't back their mouths up then they need to shut it up. Imo Israel isn't worth another dead American.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I will agree with your last line. Israel isn't worth America at war. Israel has a very robust and advanced domestic arms industry which sees them developing their own weapons systems, missiles and even complete defense projects like Iron Dome. Much thanks to our Billion or so a year in aid, matched to the Billion or so in aid given to Egypt, per the Camp David Accords and attempt at parity between the major regional powers.

I'd be quite happy if we stopped payment to both sides, entirely and 100%. If they want to BUY things from us? Well, that's worth talking about. Simply giving aid to Egypt and Israel in the form of F-16's to Egypt or a myriad of things to Israel IS outdated. Neither side much needs it to wage war by now, either way.

Now as far as just letting Israel twist in the wind because it's the popular mood among some? Well.. That flat out cannot be done. There are a few dozen reasons why. There is the formal and official State Department registry of treaties and international agreements ..but that's a MASSIVE PDF that tends to crash people's computers sometimes. So I'll just link this for ease and specificity to topic.

Current and past Legal Obligations and Treaties with Israel

We'll have to legally withdraw and invalidate many of those agreements by the terms of the treaties....before we can just turn our collective backs on a historic ally. We can't just turn tail and tell Egypt to pound sand any easier, and for the same reasons. It's a mess.....and nothing simple about it. Our personal feelings, entirely aside.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
With all the crimes that US/UK have done in Iran in the last couple of centuries and all publicly admitted interferences and sabotages in the internal affairs of Iran by the westerners,and all the devastating current western involvements in the region,,I am so surprised to see that there are still people advocating these evil actions....You know sanctions only bring misery and more pressure to the people and no one else...And if you think Iranians break under the pressure,,you better think twice.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

No the US is not required by law to assist Israel...

Its a non binding resolution... NOT a law..

Secondly -

Also on Wednesday, the Senate passed a non-binding resolution stating that, if Israel takes military action against Iran in a legitimate act of self-defense against Iran's nuclear weapons threat, the United States should provide military, diplomatic and economic support to Israel.

The key word is legitimate act of self defense in striking Iran...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by CALGARIAN

No the US is not required by law to assist Israel...

Its a non binding resolution... NOT a law..

Secondly -

Also on Wednesday, the Senate passed a non-binding resolution stating that, if Israel takes military action against Iran in a legitimate act of self-defense against Iran's nuclear weapons threat, the United States should provide military, diplomatic and economic support to Israel.

The key word is legitimate act of self defense in striking Iran...

The US has no business in Iran right now. Iran isn’t much of a threat to anyone outside the region. However, they do pose a threat to their neighbors.

Should Israel move to take out Iran’s nuclear program (which is none of our business) and get attacked by multiple forces in retaliation (not just retaliation by Iran alone) I would support aiding them in a limited way. I will probably be flamed for this but….in that event, I hope Iran is completely disabled militarily and politically so they can no longer support terrorist attacks against their neighbors. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if Ahmadinejad, his fanatical puppet masters and any other fanatical extremists who chant "death to America" are sent straight to Allah.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Respectfully, I always found the mind set of "its none of our business" to be naïve...

What's going on in Syria then technically would be no one else's business except Syria's... However Russia and Iran are involved in Syria... So why cant other nations?

Iran is involved in Venezuela, so why shouldn't the US be?

Iran and Syria are involved in Lebanon and Israel, so why shouldn't Israel or the west be?

To me the notion that Israel or the Us or the West shouldn't be involved is nothing more than people bitching because there is no "I win" button on their side of the fence. All that leaves is the constant whining of nations involving themselves where they have no business while at the same time those same whining nations are involved.

In for a penny in for a pound... If Iran is going to send material support to Syria then they have no room to complain when the west does the same.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well the difference is that Iran is helping an ally to overcome a foreign invasion,but the US and others ARE the invaders,they have already used their privileges!....It is like saying,now that you are protecting your neighbor by sleeping over there, then there would be no problem if all tugs on the block do the same.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Respectfully, I always found the mind set of "its none of our business" to be naïve...

I’m not naïve…I’m skeptical and reserved. I was once a pawn in this game. It's not cliche when I say 'it's none of our business', it's my opinion.

What's going on in Syria then technically would be no one else's business except Syria's... However Russia and Iran are involved in Syria... So why cant other nations?

Iran is involved in Venezuela, so why shouldn't the US be?

Iran and Syria are involved in Lebanon and Israel, so why shouldn't Israel or the west be?

To me the notion that Israel or the Us or the West shouldn't be involved is nothing more than people bitching because there is no "I win" button on their side of the fence. All that leaves is the constant whining of nations involving themselves where they have no business while at the same time those same whining nations are involved.

In for a penny in for a pound... If Iran is going to send material support to Syria then they have no room to complain when the west does the same.

All of this back-door, proxy, sneaky BS is exactly why I distrust my government. I know that every other country does it….I know we do it. I just think we’d be better served if US stayed the hell out of it unless we’re truly needed (to defend our allies).

I don’t know how people can say they distrust their government and then advocate for the same crooks to do black-ops in ME countries. If you don’t’ trust them, why do you trust they’re doing what’s best for us with regard to Iran or Israel.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
HumanSlayer Assad had caused the slaughter of tens of thousand innocent men, women and children in Syria, mostly of a different religious but majority sect, within 2 years of constant use of his air and land might to bombard them daily and then sending in butchers to finish the job. This is evident and clear that no beast sympathizer can hope to deny.

For the persian leadership to irresponsibly support that animal in Syria, only shows the depravity and how low he had descended into the darkness of killing innocents.

BUT, let us all be VERY CLEAR - the sanctions are not about his support to the HumanSlayer in Syria.

It had been about his very devious and secret desire to create nuclear weapons, at a time when the world is trying to limit them, and his neighbours have the fullest intention to create their own too if he achieves it.

All he needs to do is to be transparent, and open up his nuke sites for inspections, and if found only for peaceful use and is safe, not another fukishima cheap charlie type station that leaks, then those sanctions will be immediately lilfted.

As for the iranians' suffering, that responsiblity lays with the persian leadership.

There is no requirement for members of the international trading community to do biz with another whom is hell bent on destroying them all, for all had seen how irresponsible the persian leadership is and will never know who may be his next target, and the free will and choice to avoid Persia in terms of trade altogether, a fully commercial free will decision that even a housewife whom had been ill served by a trader would do the same and comprehend.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shapur

Well the difference is that Iran is helping an ally to overcome a foreign invasion,but the US and others ARE the invaders,they have already used their privileges!....It is like saying,now that you are protecting your neighbor by sleeping over there, then there would be no problem if all tugs on the block do the same.

then, using your same principles and position, the Us is justified in supporting Israel from foreign invaders like hamas and hezzbullah, which are in turn supported by Syria and Iran.

in for a penny, in for a pound eh?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I’m not naïve…I’m skeptical and reserved. I was once a pawn in this game. It's not cliche when I say 'it's none of our business', it's my opinion.

Its naïve to think Iran will mind its own business when it comes to the United States, or Israel, or Saudi Arabia, or that China will mind its own business when it comes to Taiwan, or Japan or Vietnam.

While I understand what you mean, its not realistic.

It would be like the US disbanding our military with the expectation that other nations will leave us, and our interests, alone, simply because we are minding our own business.

not gonna happen...

All of this back-door, proxy, sneaky BS is exactly why I distrust my government. I know that every other country does it….I know we do it. I just think we’d be better served if US stayed the hell out of it unless we’re truly needed (to defend our allies).

Again, going off your viewpoint... If the US did act in the manner you think they should, would it not already be to late if the US does need to get involved when it comes to an ally? If we are getting involved, it means the situation has progressed to a point that reached a dangerous escalation, something significant enough for the US to take an interest in.

Would it not be more prudent to be involved to ensure it does not reach a level where diplomacy fails and the military begins?

I don’t know how people can say they distrust their government and then advocate for the same crooks to do black-ops in ME countries. If you don’t’ trust them, why do you trust they’re doing what’s best for us with regard to Iran or Israel.

Because the Government is not so much a single entity, but many individuals working as one. This means that not every person who is employed by the government is a crook.

Adopting a singular view where everyone is grouped into one category is part of the reason we have gone to war in the past.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Its naïve to think Iran will mind its own business when it comes to the United States, or Israel, or Saudi Arabia, or that China will mind its own business when it comes to Taiwan, or Japan or Vietnam.

While I understand what you mean, its not realistic.

I know that no country will mind its own business. All I meant was US has no business going to Iran right now. We have UN sanctions in place and those sanctions should be rigorously enforced by UN. If Iran’s neighbors believe the threat is too great and decide to attack that’s their prerogative….it shouldn’t be ours!

It would be like the US disbanding our military with the expectation that other nations will leave us, and our interests, alone, simply because we are minding our own business.

not gonna happen..

I don’t believe in isolationism….far from it. I know it doesn't work. I just don't believe in attacking unless there is an imminent threat. Those conditions haven't been met.

More specifically I disagree with this part of the OP’s article:

United States should support Israel if it is forced to take military action to defend itself from an Iranian nuclear threat.

US military shouldn’t take its marching orders from Israel or any other government. Those orders (a declaration of war) come from the US Congress and should only happen when US faces a direct threat based on OUR ASSESSMENT rather than the assessment of others.

Because the Government is not so much a single entity, but many individuals working as one. This means that not every person who is employed by the government is a crook.

Adopting a singular view where everyone is grouped into one category is part of the reason we have gone to war in the past.

Not every single member is a crook but AS A WHOLE the government is corrupt. One need only look at our country's recent history and current state to see this. I don’t know many people pleased with the direction we’ve been heading over the past decade+. Have you seen the latest confidence polls?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The thing about Hitler and World War 2 is that it was really just a continuation of World War 1. Germany had not changed its mind. And, in fact, Germany did pay 20 billion gold marks in reparations by 1931. This was only 1/8th of what was asked. However, Germany was on the edge of financial collapse by 1931. They could not have paid even if it was asked. After that, they refused to pay anything. Hitler rose to power. He completely privatized the economy by nationalizing the banks and various other things; healthcare, roads, natural resources, etc. He electrified his people with confirmation bias speeches. He said their country was great and intelligent and righteous and so on. The man himself was prideful and had already written a book. He was a nice fit for the role. But it's psychological research that shows exactly why the people loved him....

Read here to find out why they loved him:
www.psychologicalscience.o rg -
Why Do People Defend Unjust, Inept, and Corrupt Systems?...

This shows you'll defend a system that you're living under, if one or more is true:
1) The system is threatened or attacked
2) You're dependent on the system
3) You cannot escape the system; easily or otherwise
4) You have very little personal control over your life while living under this system

Every single point on that list is checked in NAZI Germany. This made them dangerous because they were mad dogs and, worse, they had the people on a leash following their command.

What this shows is that people are easily controlled when they're weak. If they're weak, they cannot easily escape nor do they have much control. They're dependent by default.

This made them the perfect victims of an idealistic control freak like Hitler and his NAZI cohorts.

If your people are not weak then it's a question of how nationalized things are. Do people have freedom? Only a threat to the system is a surefire way to control them.
edit on 25-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Backing up your friend and ally is an honorable thing...But the more honorable is when you fighting for a good cause and you back up the good guys,.the real ones.

top topics

join