It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Court Agrees To Hear Case Dealing With Separation of Church & State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Even though no arguements have been made before the court as yet, the latest decissions have began to chip away at this point.

The case the Court agreed to hear today, Town of Greece v. Galloway, is likely to change that. The ostensible issue before the Court is whether a municipal legislature violated the Constitution’s ban on separation of church and state when it began its meetings with overtly Christian prayers roughly two-thirds of the time. Yet the case also explicitly tees up the question of whether a government “endorsement” of religion of the kind rejected by O’Connor is permitted under the Constitution. If you’re placing bets, the odds are overwhelming that five conservative justices will say that such an endorsement is permitted.

thinkprogress.org... te/

It will be some time before anything of substance comes of this but I feel it bares watching.
edit on 22-5-2013 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
America is not supposed to have a central religion. By using Christian prayers they are implying that America is a nation that follows the Christian faith. Nothing could be further from the truth because America was in no way built on the Christian faith. So yes they did violate the law.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
America is not supposed to have a central religion. By using Christian prayers they are implying that America is a nation that follows the Christian faith. Nothing could be further from the truth because America was in no way built on the Christian faith. So yes they did violate the law.

Bud, you might as well be talking to your cat. I don't know why the concept of separation of church and state is so difficult for some people; obviously they haven't read Jefferson's very cogent thoughts on the matter--nor, apparently anyone else's. There are people who simply want to and have to believe that this republic was founded Christian.

I've been trying for years to explain it. You can't. They don't hear you....

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Much appreciation for the interest which has been shown to this posting.
I really was surprised the issue addressed would have generated so much discussion.

Well! I guess this could be considered an indication of the amount of interest there is in the "American way of life" which, once upon a time, seemed to be so dear to those who live in this country.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
All of the Supreme Court Judges are paid with money that says "In God We Trust" on it.

Those Supreme Court wil be hipocrits if they are accepting their US Dollars with that on it......and side against a Government endorsing a religion.

Don't they swear in Presidents on a Bible??
edit on 30-5-2013 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join