It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Cheerleader Denies Felony Charge for Lesbian Relationship

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I don't care how old they were when the relationship began. If an 18-year-old has sexual relations with someone underage, there are legal repercussions. Their sexuality (even if that's why the parents are so upset) is irrelevant.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by HomerinNC

That's a mighty big assumption to make in saying every 18yr old male in the United States who has screwed with his girlfriend after her turned precisely 18...has seen a criminal prosecution over it.

Rather than call for the head of the girl here in some retribution to wrongs gone by, we ought to seriously question why males EVER get criminal charges within a true girl/boy friend relationship and they're both school age? Just my two cents...but two wrongs never make anything right and it's as wrong against males as it is against this previously excellent student (going by her record as stated).

Youre not getting the point I'm making here, if theyre going to prosecute a male, why shouldnt do the same with a female charged with the same exact thing?
OTOH, I agree with you, this shouldnt be a crime, but until the law is changed, it is

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

What high school did you go to?
Maybe it's just different here in MI. 18 year old High school males very rarely get charged here for a consensual relationship with a freshman girl.

Ain't that the truth. I grew up in Arenac County. This happened every day and no one that I know was ever charged.. even when it led to pregnancy.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Then your alleged comments that they were both underage when the relationship started is false and invalid if you cant post your source

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Then your alleged comments that they were both underage when the relationship started is false and invalid if you cant post your source

Actually, if you want to get logical about it..

They are both true AND false until the facts come out.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_cat

You can't claim my information is false simply because I wont give you the source. You can choose not to believe them and that's fine. However your ignorance is willful as I have given you the tools to find this information on your own.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Two Words.

Jury Nullification.

That's all you need to know.
Next!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm talking about the ones that were CHARGED, like this guy:

Matthew Freeman is struggling to move on with his life, six years after being convicted of having sex with a high school girlfriend who was one year below the legal age of consent.

Freeman told the trooper he was on the Michigan Sex Offender Registry because he had “sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend when he was 17.” He also said his girlfriend’s mother got “upset with him and pressed charges.”

story

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Two Words.

Jury Nullification.

That's all you need to know.
Next!

If it gets to trial, there is no way a jury is going to hand down a guilty verdict for a felony conviction against a girl in a relationship with a willing partner that would otherwise ruin the rest of her life. There wasn't a power imbalance. This was two young people in a relationship that had sexual contact. No jury is going to find that felonious behavior in this context.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Actually, if you want to get logical about it..

They are both true AND false until the facts come out.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_cat

You can't claim my information is false simply because I wont give you the source. You can choose not to believe them and that's fine. However your ignorance is willful as I have given you the tools to find this information on your own.

My facts CAN be verified by police statement, yours cannot

I can say for a FACT there is a flying saucer under the great pyramid, BUT til I show my source of info, its not valid, the same as your statement.

The girls were 18 and 14 when they became sexually involved, according to an arrest affidavit by the county Sheriff's Department.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I've seen birth certificates.

Those trump police affidavits considering.. as I have told you before.. they are merely reflections of the information that the police had at the time of the arrest.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
14 year olds have no idea what they want. The 18 year old is clearly manipulative. I have no problem with the resolution.

If the arrest affidavit is correct .. that they were 18 and 14 ... then I totally agree with the charges and I agree with DaTroof. An 18 year old has NO BUSINESS being physically involved with a 14 year old ... be it 'straight' or 'gay' or 'lesbian' or whatever.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

It is NOT right when it happens to boys either!
But aren't we talking about the one in your OP? Which appears to definitely have grounds in biased against same sex relationships. (The parents of the other girl)

link   
Since the older girl was in high school and a dependent living at home, I wonder why the other parents didn't discuss this with the older girl's parents before pressing charges. I wouldn't want my 14-year old having sex with a senior in high school (regardless of the gender), but I think I would try other avenues before pressing charges, unless I thought it was not consensual, i.e. rape. It just seems pretty hateful to me to do it this way if it was consensual.

link   

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey Homer Read this

Dad

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by defuntion

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
The girl's were 17 and 15 when this started, not 18 and 14.

The parents didn't file charges until she was 18 to ensure she would be tried as an adult. The ages are important because Florida has an age proximity clause in its consent laws.

This probably wont go to trial.
edit on 22-5-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

No. That is not what the article says....
Straight from the OP's article source:

The girls were 18 and 14 when they became sexually involved, according to an arrest affidavit by the county Sheriff's Department.

Why are people trying to make excuses?

I was going to stay out of this thread because a friend of mine is friends with Kate's family but your comment is ignorant.

Do you believe EVERYTHING the media tells you? Where have you been? They get facts wrong ALL the time!! Kate was NOT 18!! The parents of the other girl are doing this for the wrong reasons, it's pathetic they can't accept their daughter and want to ruin another girls life because of their own religious beliefs. It's BS.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Okay, I do see your point on that. If the law is to charge based on this offense...then the law shouldn't be bent or waived by genders involved. Okay, that is fair. Just as female teachers who rape and molest their kids seem to get a pass on a frequent basis compared to the 'dirty old men' who do the very same things, in the very same age ranges and get thrown away for something close to life over it.

In the first case..I'd hope a case like this could cause a review of the law itself.

In the second case of gender bias..I'd hope the females could come to share the 'throw away' fate of the 'dirty old men' and no see the whole thing get more lenient to find the least common denominator. One where the law is too hard and one where it's too light ..both by 'Gender Norming'. If that's more your point, then we do agree.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
In my eyes the state of Florida stands accused of housing an excessive number of people of the lowest possible character, who spend zero time on improving themselves, because they're too busy with their obsessive bigotry. Could the same be said for regions across America? Absolutely. The world, even. But none quite as pronounced as it is in Florida. Here's a place that churns out one news story after another about parents who rape, torture, kill their own children, children who rape, torture, kill their parents...but yet the state is famously know for rabid persecution of people because of skin color, voting habits, religion and sexual orientation.

Then they hide behind the word "Christian".

Listen. If you're hyper-focused on the sins of others, yet you aren't yourself employing Matthew 7:3-5 in your own life daily, you ain't a Christian. You're a blight on society. End of discussion.
edit on 5/22/13 by requires1231 because: I messed up.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Kate was NOT 18!!

Are you saying that the relationship was over by the time Kate turned 18? If that's the case, I don't think they have a case.

The parents of the other girl are doing this for the wrong reasons, it's pathetic they can't accept their daughter and want to ruin another girls life because of their own religious beliefs. It's BS.

I definitely agree with that. If the parents of the younger girl are doing this out of homophobia and hatred, it's pathetic.

I think the law is pathetic anyway. My first husband would have gone to prison if someone had pressed charges against him. I feel very sorry for all involved...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join