It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann Once Again Invokes God, Panders To The Religious. Where's The Personal Responsibility?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Interesting. I looked and see she actually left a branch of the Lutheran church in 2011. Lutherans usually are not too "out there" from what I've seen - so her statements seem odd in that respect. I.E. Not something I'd expect to hear from a Lutheran. I see she goes to some place called Eagle Brook now I think - but I don't know what they believe.

The reason I bring it up is - what she says sounds much like a Pentecostal church I attended once upon a time. They preached that basically God was going to do - well- everything. As a result, they always looked for what I called a supernatural solution to whatever the issue was. Like if they wanted the church painted they would pray God would provide the money rather than hold a fundraiser to raise the money for painting the church. As a result, lots of praying was done - but in reality very little ever got accomplished because they were always waiting on God to do it for them instead of ever doing anything for themselves.

I say the to say these two things.
1. If you are saying that type of thinking applies to all Christians then you paint with too broad a brush.
2. Based upon what I've seen that type of thinking applies to more the minority of Christians than the majority.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

No I don't mean to pain all religious folk with a brush like that.

But the majority of religious folk that I know, mostly evangelicals and the zealous roman catholics, would never ever dream of calling her out on something like this.

I know there are plenty of moderate religious folk who do believe God has better things to do than help with Healthcare Legislation. My question is WHERE ARE THEY?

I'm at a loss as to why moderate groups are always so quiet with the extremists, who make them look like idiots, start mouthing off.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

Didn't God also call her to be President? Then she lost. Who is the Liar?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Oh - I think I found it - she's associated with NAR ( New Apostolic Reformation) those guys make Pentecostals look totally sane and sedate.

Anyway - to your point. Why moderates don't call her out? I honestly don't know. Its a question I've asked many times with various groups. Most religions have some extreme nuts in their tree they don't usually denounce. The left and right wing both have nuts at the far edges they don't usually denounce. Heck, you usually don't see cops denouncing the bad cops when they are caught.

Its a mystery that (at least to me) goes beyond Christianity. In general, most groups seem very hesitant to denounce the nuts in their midst. Why? I dunno.

The danger of that is sooner or later people will think the nuts speak for the group as a whole.

Anyway, I'm not like that. I'm a Christian and I feel her beliefs are extreme, border on nutty at times and not a good representation of Christians as a whole.

But, that's just me. My opinion and $5 will get you one of those coffee drinks at Starbucks.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

You clearly don't buy coffee at starbucks, 5$ gets you nowhere haha.

Yeah I agree entirely, moderates do a bad job in general of standing up for themselves. Sad too, cause if only they did stand up and decide that the zealots on either side didn't deserve so much attention, things would be much better.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Originally posted by olaru12
So If God doesn't answer Bachmanns' prayers and Obamacare isn't over turned; Does that mean that God actually favors Obamacare.

No. That means it wasn't His will at this time and He has a plan for our country. And yeah, Satan is at work in the hearts of the Democrats. Convenient, indeed.

reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96
Yeah well with the 2008 election and the 2012 elections they said he was going to perform a myriad of 'miracles'.

You're just really upset that this thread ISN'T ragging on Obama, aren't you?
Who's "they". No one ever claimed Obama was going to perform miracles. :shk:

Yes, Obama panders. I don't deny that one bit. All politicians do. This isn't about Obama pandering, however. It's about Michele Bachmann using religion and religious voters to shirk personal responsibility and the way people just accept what she says, even though it's ridiculous!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I know there are plenty of moderate religious folk who do believe God has better things to do than help with Healthcare Legislation. My question is WHERE ARE THEY?

It wouldn't be proper for any kind of Christian to speak out against someone who pulls for "their team". For a moderate Christian to "judge" Michele for invoking God and prayer would be quite sinful. That's what I meant in my first post. She's "on their side" so even if her ideas are a little "out there", they're going to support her because she invoked religion.

I know there are Christians who would call her out, but they are in the quiet minority.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It's about Michele Bachmann using religion and religious voters to shirk personal responsibility a

So it's perfectly acceptable to use government and it's 'religious' voters to shirk personal responsibility.

Government is a religion plenty of outsourcing 'personal responsibility' from it's supporters.

I do love the hypocrisy from Bachmann's accusers.
edit on 21-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

They simply and plainly state " God is on our side, he'll come around and fix things". Why would you accept this as an answer to a question that doesn't involve God?

It is a logical step along the path of turning the US into a religous dictatorship - a theocracy.

If god is doing all the legislation then you have no need to elect anyone......you just need to follow the word of god's appointed mouthpieces who will tell you what the law is.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: my typing sucks

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It wouldn't be proper for any kind of Christian to speak out against someone who pulls for "their team". For a moderate Christian to "judge" Michele for invoking God and prayer would be quite sinful. That's what I meant in my first post. She's "on their side" so even if her ideas are a little "out there", they're going to support her because she invoked religion.

I know there are Christians who would call her out, but they are in the quiet minority.

Ummm... I'm a Christian and I just did..

Its a few posts up the page...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Mixing God and politics is always a dangerous mix.

We need to get these people out of our government. It's fine to have personal beliefs. But it's not fine to use those beliefs for political ends. We don't need Cannon Law in this country.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

[Re Religious Pandering]

So, the wonderful congresswomen once again has opened her mouth and probably made an idiot out of herself.

During an interview with with evangelical radio host James Dobson, she had the following to say:

“I think the President will ultimately be forced to repudiate his own signature piece of legislation because the American people will demand it,” she explained. “And I think before his second term is over, we’re going to see a miracle before our eyes, I believe God is going to answer our prayers and we’ll be freed from the yoke of Obamacare.”

“I believe that’s going to happen and we saw step one last week with the repeal of Obamacare in the House. We have two more steps. We serve a mighty God and I believe it can happen.”

Source
The pandering aside, let me ask a few crucial questions.

Why does God care about Healthcare in the US?

Why would he care about that MORE than, lets say, Genocide? Or famine? Or any other number of problems that exist in the world?

I would think, that God had more things to worry about, than intervening with a set piece of legislation don't' you think? In any case, I wanted to write this thread to discuss another topic.

Why is it that religious folk, accept the following scenario?

Congressman or Congresswomen goes on the record,claiming that God will intervene when asked about something regarding any piece of legislation. They don't at any point, provide an answer beyond that, like what they intend to do about it, since it's their job.

They simply and plainly state " God is on our side, he'll come around and fix things". Why would you accept this as an answer to a question that doesn't involve God? Even if he was going to help, I don't want to rely on him to make sure taxes are collected and that my kid's school is up to code.

Where does personal responsibility start? What are you responsible for Ms. Bachmann if you can just claim a miracle for anything you've personally, or collectively failed at?

ETA: It seems my blurb up here wasn't all that clear. I know Ms. Bachmann has the right to say whatever she wants, this isn't a 1st amendment question. It's a " what are you doing with your day" kind of question to a congresswoman who seems to talk a lot, but not get very much done, or say very much of consequence.

~Tenth
edit on 5/21/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

As a Christian, and one that's been so for 6 years (I'm 30) it's really annoying when politicians use the God card as if God is behind the political interest of one group over another. These freaking politicians must've not read the Bible because Jesus was against the political/religious figures of the time who used the name of God to support their own agenda.

These people are simply modern day pharisees.

I don't blame the non-believers bashing Christians because these puppets, who are "Christian" only for political purposes abuse spiritual truth and muddy the waters.

Sheesh...listen to me. Now I'm going to be arrested because I'm a fundamentalist Christian whose speaking out against the government. According to them I'm "dangerous" because of my "radical beliefs"

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I know you did. That's why I said this:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

What I asked is why people are willing to accept "God's Miracles" as an alternative to actual legislative work.

Simple answer. Given what has come out of Congress lately, God would do a much better job. God believes in free will, unlike the politicians that have done their best to destroy the 10 Bill of Rights.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Here is what gets me about Republicans...They claim religion much more than Democrats, yet they are the least religious in their actions. Most claim to be Christians, yet a Christian is supposed to be all about helping people, serving others, as Jesus put it. So it is obvious from this conflicting behavior that Republicans use religion simply as a tool to convince the sheep, those who are ignorant when it comes to politics. They pander to their personal beliefs, and those who are shallow-minded or followers will think to themselves "hey, this guy is religious, practicing the same religion I do, so he must be a good person," or something along those lines. It is absolute malarkey to say the least, but people have shown their willingness to swallow this pill over and over again. It is the same type of people who Fox News panders to. It is not necessarily that these people are ignorant, and it has more to do with the fact that they are gullible. They can still change, but it is up to us to open their eyes.

And I am not saying the left is better than the right, because both sides are no good when it comes down to it. I just say the right should at least not attempt to use religion to their advantage, when in fact they are not religious at all. If they were they probably would not be Republicans to begin with, considering Republican values are the exact opposite of religious values.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

No I don't mean to pain all religious folk with a brush like that. But the majority of religious folk that I know, mostly evangelicals and the zealous roman catholics, would never ever dream of calling her out on something like this.

I get it. Everyone is entitled to free speech EXCEPT Evangelicals and "zealous" Catholics. By the way, what do you consider a zealous Catholic, someone that practices their religion? Your OP is extremely troubling and offensive to those of us that practice our religion, regardless of what religion that is.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

What I asked is why people are willing to accept "God's Miracles" as an alternative to actual legislative work.

Simple answer. Given what has come out of Congress lately, God would do a much better job. God believes in free will, unlike the politicians that have done their best to destroy the 10 Bill of Rights.

Perhaps if Christians spent as much time praying as they do ragging on Liberals on ATS; things would be different.

I get it. Everyone is entitled to free speech EXCEPT Evangelicals and "zealous" Catholics.

Actually I think the progressive left loves Bachmann and her free speech because by her continually making a fool of herself; she discredits the conservative movement and actually gives the left some credibility.

edit on 21-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Well think of it this way - God is kind of like the Christian Collective. Does that make any sense?
Although I'm not sure anyone knows their motives or reasoning.

Obama Care... Tenth, do you have a realistic assessment of how this bill will effect the poor and middle classes?

It seems fairly complicated. I think my parent's premiums are going to go up around $10,000 - $20,000 a year. I'm not really affected by it at the moment.

I am interested in the poor, because it is important to make sure the poor have a good quality of life. I am interested in the middle-class, because it is important that people have something reasonable they can achieve.
edit on 21-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I believe Bachman is a brainwashed plant by the CIA to stir up the Christian right and take them off down the wrong path.. I know it's far fetched but really how can someone as stupid as her get elected.. If you look into her eyes you can actually see the "crazy" in there.

People like her and Jeb Bush's plant and pet project Marco Rubio will destroy what's left of the Republican Party.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WhereAreTheGoodguys

Politicians right now are nuts and aren't grounded in real issues or reality in a lot of cases. In addition, there is a lot of polarization.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join