It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 to 1 Baby. Fewer Meds The Better

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hello All,

I am a somewhat new member here and in my intro post I mentioned that I am bipolar type 1. It just so happens that my meds have not been working up to snuff, along with sub-par therapy sessions that I can only get into once every month or two, and therefore I have sought out a new treatment plan.

I started a program today called PHP (partial hospitalization program) at a facility about 20 minutes from my home. I am not an inpatient, but I am there five days a week for eight hours a day. It's a three week program, followed by intensive outpatient care. I have two reasons for doing a thread on this. First, I just thought it would be interesting to chronicle the process as it goes along so I have something to look back on when deciding if it was a beneficial experience. Second, a lot of people here have very strong opinions about medication one way or the other. Mostly negative from what I've heard so far, and one of the goals of this program is to get me down to the bare minimum of amount of medication possible. It's mostly talk therapy and learning how to deal without having to be stoned throughout your whole day. So while I might not get of meds completely, I was very excited to hear today that their goal for me is to go from five different meds (14 pills) a day, down to one medicine (2 pills) daily. I am someone who firmly believes that society is way over medicated, so finding a program that goes against that trend is wonderful. I know some will only be satisfied with no drugs at all, but I do believe this is a good start.

As far as my impressions of the program, everyone is nice, and the food is amazing. We had Chinese today for lunch. I really think this is a step in the right direction, and if it works for me, maybe something like it can work for someone else on here with bipolar. The fewer drugs the better, right? So I will update this thread daily and record my progress. As for anyone who might have bipolar and is currently taking a multitude of medicines, I'm right there with you. But what they're trying me out on is Lamictal, and if it works it will be the only thing I have to take within a few weeks. Look it up and ask your doc about it, and I will report on how it's doing on me.

Alright ATS, great talking with you. Have a wonderful night and I will see you tomorrow. And again, just for good measure, that's 5 meds down to 1.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Good luck on your journey! You really seem to a great out look and attitude, so i really hope this works out for the best. I am no doctor, but i don't see how anyone can argue that less drugs, or no drugs are not better than more drugs.

I look forward to future updates.

DC

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Thanks DC, and I also wanted to say that I really like your picture/avatar. I'm not real sure what it's called, but very cool nonetheless. A little Joker, a little Tyler, and best of all, a little Alex from Clockwork. Classic.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBateman

Good Luck!! I wish the very best for you, and hope you get feeling better.
I have a dear old friend in your boat, and I am also curious as to how it works out for you, she occasionally reads somethings here that I have mentioned. She may also be interested in your thread here.
Take good care of yourself!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Thank you for the well wishes, and I hope my experiences can help out with your friend. Take care.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBateman

So I just walked in the door from my program today. It was my 4th day, but to be honest, I have been being pulled out a lot for individualized paperwork and such. Today was the first day that I really experienced the whole day.

What can I say, group therapy is group therapy. You're either going to get it or you're not. I don't think I would have benefited from it in my younger years, but now I am making a real effort to be trusting and honest inside that room. I'm also lucky because I feel very at ease with the people I'm with. I am the only guy, so I kind of feel mothered in a way. We all spoke today, and talked about how we could relate to each other, did some worksheets. But the coolest part came during the last hour and a half. We had pet therapy with a dog named Taz. Taz is awesome! I don't really understand the structure of it, but basically you just mess around with a 125lb dog for over an hour, which was enjoyable.

As far as my meds go, like I said, they are slowly getting me off of everything and putting me on Lamictal. That means a decrease in my night time medicine, which is Depakote and Geodon. Both will make you fat and sleepy. Well, I'm happy to get away from the fat part, but my body has not yet adjusted to the decrease, so sleep has been fairly challenging. No side effects from the Lamictal yet, so that is going well. All in all, making good progress.

Tomorrow is Friday, so I will type out an overview of how the program is going and how my meds are doing this weekend. And to all my ATS friends, have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!

new topics

top topics

join