It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So I was just browsing the news and discovered this little gem being produced out of Texas.

A new rifle goes on sale on Wednesday, and it's not like any other. It uses lasers and computers to make shooters very accurate. A startup gun company in Texas developed the rifle, which is so effective that some in the shooting community say it should not be sold to the public.

It's called the TrackingPoint rifle. On a firing range just outside Austin in the city of Liberty Hill, a novice shooter holds one and takes aim at a target 500 yards away. Normally it takes years of practice to hit something at that distance. But this shooter nails it on the first try.

Are you scared yet?? Has me a little bit worried, but the 100% accuracy is based soley on tech. tech that is as costly as a new car. Over 20,000 dollars for this thing. Take away the scope and it is another rifle that must be disciplined.

Like I would buy this thing if I won the lottery, just because I can. However I do not absolutely have to have it. It just makes me wonder things like, what if the DC snipers had this thing back in 2002? The company has this to say in that respect.

Schauble says because the company sells directly — instead of going through gun dealers — it knows who its customers are and will vet them. And he says there's a key feature that prevents anyone other than the registered owner from utilizing the gun's capabilities.

"It has a password protection on the scope. When a user stores it, he can password protect the scope that takes the advanced functionality out. So the gun will still operate as a firearm itself, but you cannot do the tag/track/exact, the long range, the technology-driven precision-guided firearm piece without entering that pass code," he says.

Well that's good enough for me, plus the price tag should keep it out of most criminals hands. Can you believe this thing comes with an ipad??

Wi-Fi, youtube sync, streaming. this thing probably eat batteries like a woodchipper eats trees. Remington wants to add this platform to a rifle in the $5,000 range, you know so more people can own one. I would definetly shell out 5k for the optics, it is a little bit more reasonable.

IMO though, I believe that this thing should at the very least be registered with the ATF the way you would register an SBR, DD, machine gun or a can. yall at least with me on that one???

you can own one soon in .338 lapua or .300 Winchester magnum. Put your name on the waiting list now lol, if your rich of course.
tracking-point.com...
edit on 5/18/2013 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Wow! Honestly, this looks immensely cool, and I have to agree with the others in the community who think this should not be sold to the public. I don't think the sale of weapons of this caliber should not be allowed, but I think the sale of this should be left to people who are both very experienced and very responsible.

Still don't see why Congress has yet to institute stronger checks on people who want to own weapons, clearly things like this shouldn't be available for just anybody. IMO If anyone can just buy the scope (I'm guessing it will be sold seperately at some point), then I don't think it should be sold to the public.

But damn that gun looks good
edit on 18-5-2013 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2013 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Very cool and scary as hell!

Between this thing and the new unmanned jets the Navy has it's becoming easier and easier to kill.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k[/
edit on 18-5-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I can see how some hunters and marksmen would say that this tech is not right because it takes the skill and purpose out of the hunt.

There is another side though.

If a bullet wounds, and does not kill that could be considered suffering by some people.

With this tech it could end unnecessary suffering by shots misguided only by human error.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
i see no issue with this being sold to the public. why would it be a problem? suddenly when a person possesses this weapon they turn into a crazy assassin? yeah....no.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Im ok with it being sold to the public, but I feel due to the precise nature of this thing, it should at least be registered with the ATF. But does the whole rifle have to be registered or just the scope?? I got the impression from the article that the rifle and the scope are built together.

On the plus, can you imagine the terror on big gov if they rolled into town to implement marshal law and openly declare their facist intent, only to see the storm troopers dropping like flies by a group wealthy businessman who do not want their profits infringed because people cannot move freely

Seriously though I would hate that because it would mean dead American regardless.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time imagining the use for this which isn't related to hunting 2 legged animals. If that is it's purpose (Which seems about the sole purpose to me) ...then I'd not only restrict public sale to Class III, at least, but highly restrict military distribution too. Sniper teams get surprised...wiped out .... it happens. Imagine Jihad Johnny capturing himself one of those. How many Americans would die in the base before it was recovered or destroyed?

That's not a rifle as much as the Finger of God by modern technology. Where you look, someone dies. I think there really IS a point where accurate, efficient killing has taken a step just one bit beyond the logical and it's become just a bit TOO much a video game.

As far as hunting......something like a pile of corn or a salt lick is considered baiting and a crime one is prosecuted for. That's because it makes it too easy and hunting becomes farming. Not the intent....so how wouldn't this do the same thing by other means? Hence...Not a hunting rifle for game animals, anyway. Just human ones.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well...who didn't see something like this coming down the pipe?

Welcome to the new era of shooting. Good old iron sights worked well, then we got upgraded to the also good old optics (EOTech for example)....and now we have a desktop rifle. (or maybe a laptop rifle?)

Cant wait to see what are troops are carrying just a few years from now....

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Aimbot...in real life?

edit on 18-5-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I was thinking more on this and they just need to add one thing to make it perfect... Amazing how long ago some of this was thought up in movies too. Total fantasy and unimaginable as a real thing back then...

Anyone remember this old classic for technology run a bit too far?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Try tablet. I would still like to know what batteries this thing is using. A 38 seconds and then again around 150 they show the battery compartment. It appears to me like a multi-cell Nimh or lithium-ion compartment. It would have to be for the kind of chips and sensors that are onboard. Looks like you would have to maybe charge it up on the grid instead of conveniently swapping out batteries in haste.

Texas now has a heads up on the rest of the world for any extinction level event that would destabilize civilization enough to trigger a mad max survival world in the near future. Only a handful of things can today trigger SHTF, some geological, biological, interstellar event which totally throw the global climate and/or hits humanity with mutagenic or viral stuff from the unknown, or aliens invade. And I for one would re4st better knowing our communities would be equipped to better fight off these aliens. They are just as dangerous a zombie, but actually more possible.

Mars Attacks .....

Also wrabbit, we have already turned that movie into reality for artillery with Excalibur, as well as the XM25. I believe I have heard talks of a guidance system for bullets in some phase of development. Is this merely rumor??
edit on 5/18/2013 by DYepes because: thinking green, saving post space

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is pretty amazing tech I have to admit. The main concern ought to be, keeping things like this away from fully automatic fire weapons. Obviously where a bit of kit like this is concerned, I would assume that rapid, consecutive recoil would skew the aim a bit, but if all that needs to happen is shot one, then it would make a fairly comprehensive assassins tool. First shot kills, the next four are insurance, and the misses dont matter.

Plus something like this could be set up to fire remotely, so its a pretty scary prospect in that regard also.

But, cooler than a glacier in flares dancing to disco music while kung fu kicking a politician in the gonads.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, since it comes with a IPad, streaming, etc. It should be pretty easy to find using GPS.

While it is cool, it's also outta my league price wise. I doubt I would buy one even if I did win the lotto. I guess I'm old school when it comes to shooting.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The notion this would need regulating is ridiculous.

What is it with these frightened apes trying to ban fire? As it is it's little more than a rangefinder and a scope that does the math for you. A human still needs to pull the trigger and there's more than enough human error there.

If we attack it for doing math for us then we have to attack calculators or just marksmen in general for knowing how to shoot.

Pair it with one of these:
and then we'll have some issues.
edit on 18-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hey Kids, wanna play a new FPS on your iPad with awesome graphics?

Amazing technology. Hopefully it stays out of the hands of the public. Too many risks for people who as a whole still own guns irresponsibly or for crime.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Was I the only one watching the video of them shooting running boars from helicopters lol ??

I mean, the only chance you normally have of hitting something from a moving target, is luck spray, it's not like the movies, or now it is...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A bit like a firing solution on a combat jet.
I can see the military taking full advantage of a system like this - it totally removes the snipers spotter, thus doubling it's sniping teams, no?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
A New "Smart Rifle"

Where hacking comes to real life...!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Id be willing to bet that snipers become a whole new important part of warfare again....
The Cartels should be able to buy a few hey?
and the military......the rest of us are stuck with our red dots i guess......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join