It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rock Anomaly Threads. Who S&Fs these things?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

ETA: On second thought. Staff already gets accused of playing favorites, and everything else you can think to accuse them of. I'm sure this would be no different.

true i know that is proably the big draw back and why staff would be against it but something needs to be done, its possible you could set certian standars, must have a minimum number of words, links and must of a set quality.

but even at that some would cry if thier thread about the Galatic Federation of Light talking to them not getting put in it even thought they have "proof" form thier own YouTube channel.

i think one of the biggest probelms that ATS has is not the site, mods, T&C's but the members thats the real problem its us.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I have not flagged all of them lol I have flagged a few of Arkens and I flagged that guinnea pig rat thread

I am still not convinced that it a rock lol and I'm a skeptic. When I look at the rover pics I am looking for another guinnea pig

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

you may not want to hear this...

it's you

by posting on 'em

and now you're giving 'em free publicity

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

look who wants to be a mod........ got somthing on your nose.

my question is to all, who give two sh!ts who flags what, or who stars whom, its a just a popularity contest anyway, people get flagged just because they have a ton of flags already and it is expected that every thread they make is gold, which most of the time they are, but not all the time.

Some just get stars because they have a "there real picture " of a pretty girl as there avatar.

I agree the star flag system is flawed, but the best way to fight that is to ignore it and not make threads discussing stars and threads as to bury the threads that have info that really matters.

Please guys dont star me for this post, I do enjoy seeing a line of stars going by my name every now and then, but my hippocricy only goes so far..........Doc Holiday
edit on 17-5-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

what if it is a life form that can mimic a rock exactly as a defense system. We can never know untill people set foot and start looking for themselves. Until then all we have is speculation. Since you nor the other person(s) your ranting about are on mars what makes your opinion more valid than the others?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Mars is not like Earth, at least on the surface. It's not even pristine as far as foreign rocks are concerned, to a far bigger extent than Earth. I'm sure the Goodfella's at NASA know all about that. It's probably safe to say that they regard Mars rocks in a much more complicated way, while we can mostly muse at the pictures we see, and often it is, "that looks like" from our own perspectives yet the rocks on Mars's surface may be so old they have no water trapped in them, they may have water in them, or look like something exotic formed from blowing 'sand' and from some surface moisture in an Ad Hoc way. Some of those formations that 'look like' rocks would likely crumble under your feet, as may very old rocks that have no water in them, but they are still inside the defintion of rocks
Funny enough, I can't even think of a reason for not wanting those Mars rocks back here on Earth at some time in the future, unless of course there is still some kind of life form there.
For the OP, I think the pareidolia effect over the Mars rocks, or anomalous other world pictures for that matter, is the one thing that makes me think much more about what we are actually looking at, rather than some guy rattling on in monotone about rock, or rocks, from our Earth point of view, as interesting that may be. The hoax idea is not so easy to define.

edit on 17-5-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Great thread. Nice to see some proper discussion on this subject. S'n'F, OP.

I Flagged Chris' thread, but I must have missed most of the others.

Rocks Rock!

Mars Rocks rock rocks off earth Rocks.

Mars rocks often have martian features. It's really interesting.

Maybe you're just not looking hard enough?

reply to post by windword

Nice pictures.

I think the postcard is fascinating. Who'd a thought it, martians sending postcards....

Tfw.

edit on 17/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Mars Rocks!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
my question is to all, who give two sh!ts who flags what, or who stars whom

It's not a popularity contest. I have...like...not enough stars to even make a dent on the surface of the stats of the long-termers. Never will.

If I post ..say a thread that states matter of factly :

Ant Eaters tongue PROVEN to be the Cure for Cancer!

-And you are interested in that sort of thing, then you may take the time out of your life to click the thread.

-And after clicking said thread then you would soon realize that you've been duped, cause well...other than an ant eaters tongue there is nothing to go with. It's an Ant eaters tongue, nothing more, nothing less.

If that makes sense..
Not only have you been duped out of your time, but buddy has 79 flags on his "waste of our time". My question is : Why? Why S/F a false story claiming something that's obviously untrue?

edit on 18-5-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

If I post ..say a thread that states matter of factly : Ant Eaters tongue PROVEN to be the Cure for Cancer!

Then you would be breaking the rules...

15). Posting: You will not Post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Source

And an upside down i still looks like an i.

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene........You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

Why do you care who gets a flag or a star for what they post?

If you don't agree with someones opinion, ignore it.

I'm taking my flag back.

You can keep the star.

Tfw.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I do, I find those thread interesting and entertaining.. what about it?
Thats the great thing about free will, if you dont like those threads, you dont have to click on it..
I think that would be easier than bitchin about the people that do like them, wouldnt it?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I have definitively seen Mars rocks more interesting then this rant.

There's a saying : When you got nothing to good to say about something, don't say anything.

ATS has 1000's threads a day, don't like it move on. If not, well start your own forum and ban Mars rock anomalies threads.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Klassified

I've seen some great posts and threads go totally unnoticed, and horrible threads and posts get mondo recognition

And that is exactly why i am starting to think a "staff's pick" forum is needed, I dont know if it has been suggested before or not but i do think that something like that is needed. I have to say when i first joined up thats what i thought Really Above Top Secret was.

That's a good idea. I received staff applauses for some of my posts and threads. Maybe they could create a section in ATS that recognizes how many staff members applauded the thread. At least that area of ATS could be guaranteed to have quality content.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
You're equating an SnF with a blowjob. Stop it. An SnF is nothing more than "huh...that's interesting", and do you presume to have any say so on what people's interests should be. Then there are some people who give a star and flag just because they like the person who made the thread. Maybe they connected in some way in some other thread so they just want to support them. Then you have numbers obsessions, I'll give a star if it will bring a thread to a "special" number, as long as I can stand the thread (basically if the person is not an ahole). I can think of many other reasons to give a star or flag other than "because I wholeheartedly believe in everything that was said 100%", but, do I REALLY need to explain to you, at THIS stage in the game, that not everyone thinks the same way you do??? Are you still at that youthful arrogance level where you truly believe that your own beliefs and thought process reign supreme in the universe?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Well im different. I have a huge rock fetish thats why i star and flag them

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A few of you are'nt getting the point.

I don't give a whiffle about stars and flags.

This is about misleading the forum and why misleading Mars Rock threads get S/F.

Can't put it more plainly but if you still believe (for whatever reason) that this is a S/F jealousy thing you are wrong.

I could post 100 mars rock threads a day, garner 9000 flags and still not come close to the board leaders.

Why do people S/F mars rock threads that have misleading titles?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Why do people S/F mars rock threads that have misleading titles?

Because there's Life on Mars.

Possibly

And everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Even you.

Tfw.

edit on 18/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: there is a reason for everything

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
...Now I ask... Why are people starring and flagging?
...Starring and Flagging is supposed to mean that the thread has credibility within the forum...
...(?)...So ... What's the deal people? Why are many of you starring the heck out of these HOAX threads?
...Its an ATS anomaly,
thoughts?

I'm probably guilty of precisely what you've illustrated, here.
I appreciate the fact that someone found and presented a puzzle.
Regularly - many/most of the first responses are "clichés". No thought involved. "Gimme $2 on red! Come on red...."
Sometimes you go 2, 3, 4...(more) pages before someone (or, collaborative effort) puts the question to rest.
In those cases, I place more value in the OP, than all those who ended up "right", for calling "red"...I mean, "rock".

Conversely - I wish their was an option in place, to qualify a star &/or flag...
Or - perhaps it would be worth considering that giving stars and flags should cost the Grantor. (Awarded 5 complimentary Stars & 1 Flag as a New Member...and, go from there.)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with the "Creature spotted on Mars" threads....I'm quite partial to it!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Windword, that is the best Mars thread I have seen, and its just a reply! Come on guys whats wrong with a bit of entertainment, if you don't like mars threads don't read them! They make me laugh in an otherwise mostly negative conspiracy site.

)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Preach!!! LOL...I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. Every once in a while there will be something that is truly interesting, but 99% of the time these things are just rocks. Most of the time this is obvious upon first glancing at a picture. This seems to occur often when there is obvious evidence of running water in times past, as the erosion patterns produce flat surfaces and edges, and make certain rocks to appear more manmade than others. Human beings really do have the tendency to find patterns in chaos, and this is something I have learned by entering the bigfoot community.

I actually performed my own experiment to prove something to myself. I went out in the woods and took pictures of treelines, just to see if there would be "faces" visible once I looked at the photos. Sure enough, I could match what others would call faces or bodies, even though I knew for a fact there was nothing but trees in the photographs. It is worse with faces, because it has been proven that the human brain, from an early age, is hardwired to recognize faces. So it is not surprising at all that these things would show up in photos, even though there is nothing truly there. What is surprising however is the fact that so many people do not posses the ability to be objectionable. They look for conspiracies everywhere, and every little thing that they deem out of place was made by aliens, or proves life on Mars. It is absolutely ridiculous, and it gives those of us who are truly interested in a subject a bad image to the rest of the world, and causes anyone with certain ideas to lose credibility.

<< 1    3 >>

join