It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth Waren, a Great Investment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I have admired Elizabeth Warren since she started working over the credit card companies. Now she is a senator from Massachusetts and continues to challenge Wall Street and the Big Banks. If you are from the great state of Massachusetts, congratulations. I think she would make an excellent U.S. President.

THE NATION: Elizabeth Warren, a Great Investment

The student loan interest rate that had been temporarily cut in half back in 2007 was once again set to double, but instead of pushing for the status quo as Congress did last year, Warren has upped the ante with legislation that would cut the student loan rate way down to the near zero that the big banks enjoy. As Warren put it in her characteristically no bull style: “The federal government is profiting off loans to our young people while giving a far better deal to the same Wall Street banks that crashed our economy and destroyed millions of jobs. That’s why I’ve introduced the Bank on Students Loan Fairness Act as my first bill in the Senate: To allow students to borrow money at the same rate as the biggest banks. ” … Why should the big banks get a nearly-free ride while people trying to get an education pay nine times more?” Warren asked. “It isn’t right.”

I would never vote for Bachman, Pelosi or Hillary, but I would get out and canvas for Elizabeth Warren.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DiscreteParticle

I admire her as well. Unfortunately in a climate of harsh divides she will lose votes both because she is a Democrat and because she is a woman. Pity people couldn't vote for common sense and the people who show it rather than voting along political parties and gender lines. Ms Warren dares to stand up to the Big Banks, and political establishment that fosters them, the way others only talk about. S&F

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DiscreteParticle

The bigger issue here is how much these colleges charge to get an education....it's a business and people keep paying these extortionist ridiculous amounts of money and provide very little hands on experience in the real world...to me college should be more affordable and granted the interest rates are insane but just imagine if the rates went to 2.0 percent...how much would colleges hike their tuition to after a few years...it will look like a housing bubble when the rates go back up...

edit on 19-5-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Colleges will be extinct in another decade except for certain professions like surgery that require hands-on training. Everything anyone could want or need to learn is on the internet and schools can't saw your head open and pour the learning in; and there's no reason people can't organize their own global, social networking, conversational groups to get the kind of learning that comes from a group dynamic.

There's two kinds of people in the world, curious and incurious and as far as I know, no way to change one into another. College may be able to turn a non-learner into a learner, but I doubt that, and in many cases they manage to turn off the learners by virtue of all of their flaws.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
reply to post by chrismarco

Colleges will be extinct in another decade except for certain professions like surgery that require hands-on training. Everything anyone could want or need to learn is on the internet and schools can't saw your head open and pour the learning in; and there's no reason people can't organize their own global, social networking, conversational groups to get the kind of learning that comes from a group dynamic.

There's two kinds of people in the world, curious and incurious and as far as I know, no way to change one into another. College may be able to turn a non-learner into a learner, but I doubt that, and in many cases they manage to turn off the learners by virtue of all of their flaws.

Oh, there will be plenty of colleges, just private ones that cater to the upper middle to upper class..
The rest of us will drone on behind keyboards receiving second rate educations.

Online learning is by no means more effective then classroom learning, I know this first hand as the company I work for slowly switches away from classroom training..

new topics

top topics

join