It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrities: Double Mastectomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I am curious as to what others think of all the celebrities , the lastest Angelina Jolie, having double mastectomies.
Angelina Jolie: Why she had a Double Mastectomy

Information about BRCA1 & BRCA2 testing

I think the part of this story (and others like it) that bothers me the most is the way the story is told. The MSM acts like anyone can have this test. As if anyone that has a very high risk of breast cancer can have preventative surgery.

I have talked alot with my doctor about this test. Since I have already had a fibroadenoma found and removed from one breast it is a worry that is often on my mind. According to my doctor if the test comes back positive then I could be turned down for insurance in the future.
So IF I can get the insurance to cover the test (most don't), then I will have to pay out-of-pocket for surgery (my insurance will not cover this if preventative), if I want reconstruction, out-of-pocket again(only pay reconstruction if you needed mastectomy) AND I may never get insurance again. So it sounds to me like the normal person will continue to wonder....

Am I being overly mad?
edit on 5/16/1313 by Martin75 because: Changed title

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Martin75

Yes you are. Angelina jolie has probably over 50 mil. But whats that got to do with you? .. Ultimately, its the case for people in the USA that they pay for their medical care via insurance and so forth. So... it is complicated and you are quite right.

They should make people aware that its a " complicated" process . But I am sure your doctor should oblige and help you should you want to have a mastectomy.

The media make everything look easy. I agree....

Country

Costs Mastectomy
USA

$12,000-$35,000

India

$900-$3,000

Malaysia

$800-2,000

Singapore

$4,000-5,000

Thailand

$1,200-2,000

edit on 17-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
And I hate how they/the media are saying what she is doing is " sooooo brave". What nonsense...

If its between your LIFE and looks/a few limbs - you would choose your LIFE.
You wouldnt need courage to do this you would be pretty much " choiceless" infact.

And choosing to keep breasts and ovaries that are actually dysfunctional... is quite vain and shallow. No one cares at the end of the day and and are able to see past " having no breasts" or " ovaries". Life is bigger and greater.. Many disabled people survive quite well with some support.

Particulary if you have a family and are quite happy in life.

Its an insult to average people..... as if they dont have the intelligence to be able to make such a decision.

edit on 17-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

join