It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador Voted The Best Place In The World To Live In Retirement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ive really been considering leaving the US sometime in the next 5 or 10 years because I dont like the direction that the US is heading
I came across this article and was really surprised that Ecuador was as nice as they make it out to be.
source

Jim Kennedy, a British expat retiree who moved to Ecuador last year, said: “If you are a senior citizen you can qualify for some discounts on eating out and travel. But these things aren’t expensive anyhow, so your pension goes a lot further out here.” Ecuador, where Spanish is the official language although English is widely spoken, also has an excellent safety record by South American standards. Paul Green, a spokesman for Surtrek South American Travel (www.surtrek.com), said: “My wife and I are currently renting a three-bedroom, comfortable apartment in the capital Quito’s safe yet bohemian village of Guápulo. We wake up daily to truly breathtaking mountain views through the bedroom window and our rent is a mere $200 (£129) a month.”

edit on 14-5-2013 by Berzerked because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm adding this to my list of sweet places to flee to, thanks!

Gotta have money to get there, tho, eh?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I know an ex-pat who lives there and says everything is changing there, like prices of food sky rocketing, land/home prices blowing up, cameras in all the cities, chinese coming in and snapping up farm land for exporting food back to china, and resources being stripped for export.

Was looking at taking off too and Ecuador did look good for a while. Now its Iceland/Denmark that im looking at

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

That figures... Uruguay used to be a good cheap place for expats to go too but Ive heard that it has also been ruined in a similar way

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've read that in a few articles about Ecuador.

Belize is my choice. Purely for economic reasons. I just don't want to have to work till i drop dead. Panama is another i considered.

Originally it was going to be the Philippines, had a house and everything there in southern Luzon. Then got divorced and she/her family got the house.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ecuador is a great and wonderful place - it's horrible to hear what's going on down there in the local economy.
Panama and Belize are a bit more expensive than Ecuador for retirement, but still affordable by US standards.
Far East Thailand, VietNam, Cambodia are all affordable places to retire. The Phillippines is high on people's list of retirement havens as well.

ganjoa

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Far East Thailand, VietNam, Cambodia are all affordable places to retire. The Phillippines is high on people's list of retirement havens as well.

All of that is changing as well. Not sure if you guys aware, put various portions of Indonesia are becoming Islamisized with hard core Fundies, Sharia, women in head to toe covered garb, etc. Its spreading there at a rpid rate, so Phillippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia is just around the corner t becoming completely Muslim. Probably next 100 years or so.

Very sad to see this happen

new topics

top topics

join