It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sitting Will Kill You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My trainer sent me some interesting studies on the risks of sitting too much. I did not find any other thread on the matter, so I hope it is okay to post it here

1) Significantly Higher Risk or Chronic Diseases, Regardless of BMI or Amount of Exercise

In a February 2013 survey of 63,048 middle-aged Australian men, those who sat for more than four hours a day were significantly more likely to have a chronic disease like high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and cancer, regardless of their BMI or amount of exercise.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

2) Much Higher Risk of Dying

Analyzing self-reported data from more than 222,000 people aged 45 and older, Australian researchers found that mortality risks spike after 11 hours of total daily sitting. but are still 15 percent higher for those sitting between 8 and 11 hours compared to those sitting fewer than 4 hours per day. People who sat more than 11 hours a day had a 40 percent higher risk of dying within three years.

health.usnews.com...

3) 73% Higher Risk of Metabolic Syndrome

Association of Sedentary Behaviour with Metabolic Syndrome: A Meta-Analysis

Ten cross-sectional studies (n = 21393 participants), one high, four moderate and five poor quality, were identified. Greater time spent sedentary increased the odds of metabolic syndrome by 73% (OR 1.73, 95% CI 1.55–1.94, p

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Humans are not made to sit at a desk under fluorescent lighting for half their life, do that to any animal and watch them wilt.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
oh no I'm wilting

Seriously, if you sit a lot, but you also work out a lot as well, could you not be in great physical shape but still be a sitting type of person. I agree a sedentary lifestyle will make you gain weight, which could be unhealthy.

join