It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello been awhile since i posted my art

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
One more comment. Have you thought of making paintings of photographs during the recovery after the tornadoes. I just noticed you are from Joplin. You could do that for charity and also as a way of spreading your good work and make money in the future with it (if you don't already do)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

Again thanks all for the kudos!! It really makes me inspired!!
I do freelance art but i haven't been notice by the big companies as i have yet to turn in anything. You see i had other careers that i dropped art for when i was in my 20s. In the Navy and i work in Hydraulics now (which is very demanding) SO i stopped for awhile and got rusty. As a few notice i love details but being rusty i was slow. ( i like to enjoy the process) I NOW have the speed and a style i like. I am now 41 and i am gearing up to turn in like a monster.

I know Jeremy Haun (he lives in Joplin) he has done the Darkness books and yes artist work 60 hours a week and is Very deadline orientated. I work 60 hours a week now doing hydraulic repairs but i am going/want to change that. Self publishing for me first.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

I lost a few friends in the Tornado. I plan on doing something but i have been so busy repairing all the equipment that was for the relief effort i didnt have time for much really. (70 hour work weeks then) A lot of artist around this area did get in on such a venture. I was to depressed and didnt want to take advantage of the situation.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Optix

Really great stuff you put up there... I once did an attempt to make a comic page myself. I also joined the The darkness contest on DeviantArt but failed to sign inn , merely because I thought the standards where to high..

I too started to enter that contest but work got in the way. I hear a lot of artist get jobs like night watchmen or something that doesn't take your constant attention and draw while they're on the job..Stjepan Šejić who does the Witch Blade comics said that is what he did. 8-10 hours a day drawing for years. I wish i had a job like that.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Optix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Optix

Yeah hes really good , Read an article of him few years ago . He had to do allot to play himself into the picture started off in coloring raw drawings then they discovered he could draw too ..

I also hope of I could manage such job for myself . But more in the matte painting business. But when it comes to that you have to do allot of contdsts and devotion to be discovered.I mostly do this for fun have never earned a dime with this but gives me inspiration if people like it.

The avatar I wear is a combination of 3d zbrush and photo manipulation. I like to create Alien worlds or vehicles . The full 4000x2000 looks very nice . I will make a thread soon from my latest art. Keep on doing the stuff you like most and who knows one day!

Peace
edit on 15-5-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I like Zbrush but man it can be daunting. I did download the Sculptris program...basically a stripped down version of Zbrush. Have you tried that? I think its free to download..

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Art. Is it a curse or a blessing?
Don't ask me because I still haven't figured that one out? It pulls you,.. for better or for worse.
I know nothing about computer art, Optix. I do it the old fashioned way. With brushes and canvas. Mind you I'm modern enough that I use tubes of paint. [Acrylic] I know an artist who still cooks and makes his own paint on the stove the way the masters did. His place stinks like hell when he's at it!
I had a great art teacher in public school. I did my first canvas at 7. It wasn't anything special. They say start with a still life so I painted a crummy small red lamp sitting on a stone fire place. Boy I wish I had that first canvas today. lol
It takes decades for secrets to reveal themselves and we spend so much time working for the system to survive that only some find the years to break down the walls, and make your hands do what your mind sees.
So much of it is trendy or valium wallpaper. Just do your own thing and try to take it to a higher level.

Read the light. Layer it on.

It's a 53 Plymouth
Behind it?
Well that looks an Aircooled V-dub dune buggy! I'll bet some scruffy ole hippie owns that

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I can only speak for me. For some artists, the secrets come faster. For me it was an endless struggle.
Portraits are the hardest. So many layers of light and shade in a face. It took me about 30 years to knock down this wall, and start painting portraits, like this one of my daughter. Time to complete [About 70 hours]
People have called my work "Nostalgic Realism"
I like that! I think it's a very fitting name for what I do.

I also have a great love of wood working
I can make anything out of a tree! lol
One day, years ago I had a thought. Could I mate the two? Art should be everywhere, right?
My "Hall Tree bench". They use to make these chairs about 100 years ago except they had a mirror where I layed the artwork.
The handy storage box under the seat would have gloves and scarfs, if these were in the downstairs hall. Spare blankets, if they were in the upstairs hall. A staple in every old farmhouse once upon a time.

The gold line on the wood, surrounding the painting acts as a straight barrier. That way the wood stain can't bleed into the painting on the wood, where it shouldn't. [Jeez, I'm giving away secrets here] lol.
This method also works great if you want to 2-tone a beautiful wooden floor in your home. Say,.. clear coat in the center with a 24 inch dark stain at the perimeter of the room.
Also I added a carving [far right pic] over the painting on the bench. You can't really see it well here, but it's a circle with a cross and the clover leaves.
I wish more artists knew that they really never compete, because each person does something different.
I can't do what they do, and they can't do what I do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join