It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CopDots - DNA for your property

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The Dots

CopDots™ are tiny discs, about the size of a grain of sand and are endorsed by Law Enforcement. Each tiny disc holds a unique PIN (personal identification number) linking your property to you within a global database accessible by investigating law enforcement when they suspect goods to be stolen.

CopDots™ pens are filled with a special fluorescing adhesive and thousands of the tiny discs. They easy to apply, simple to register on the global register database and the increased risk of prosecution is a successful deterrent to thieves who profit from crime.

Cop Dots Informational video

Video Description: Cop Dots personal property identification program

COPDOTS™ Home Page

According to the story I saw, the equipment to read the "DNA" is free for law enforcement agencies...

How do law enforcement officers use CopDots™?

The CopDots™ technology is reliable forensic evidence for law enforcement to determine the ownership of property. Using specialized investigative equipment, the CopDots™ can be quickly and efficiently located, analysed and the legitimate owner profile revealed in the field, so there are no delays in deciphering a crime.

I was made privy to this via a local news story tonight. However, when looking on Youtube for video info, it seems there are a number of law enforcement agencies in Florida already using this system and it is picking up speed in regards to law enforcement agencies utilizing this technology.

This technology takes writing your name on your property to a whole new level huh? Pretty neat if you ask me, I am sure if I looked deep enough into the rabbit hole I could pull out a conspiracy, but I'll leave that to the imagination.

On a side note, on their website there is a link for Pawn Shops, which is pretty smart. It's where most stolen property ends up anyhow. Now if they can create a clause in the rule where a Pawn Shop wouldn't be allowed to charge someone for the return of their stolen items that are identified by police with this equipment...that'd be even better. Perhaps this technology will allow the Pawn Shops to identify the property and call the owner to verify it is indeed stolen before they make the purchase.

What do you think ATS, good idea?
edit on 5/10/2013 by UberL33t because: GPS

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
As someone who has dealt with personal property crime thats pretty cool, getting your stuff back both from the pawn broker the thief sold it too, or the cops can be a pain in the butt.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Wonder how much this is costing tax payers? it's stupid I think, and room for abuse.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
they have a thing in the uk called smart water same idea though good find s& f

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Wonder how much this is costing tax payers? it's stupid I think, and room for abuse.

Well first its a private company marketing a product, much like Low jack (which also partners with agencies for implementation) if anything it would save money and man power from having the police having to do extensive research.,

second I would love to hear your view on how this could be abused?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What happens if someone places stolen property on YOUR property that is rigged with the CopDots??? That adds a whole new level of scary.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee
What happens if someone places stolen property on YOUR property that is rigged with the CopDots??? That adds a whole new level of scary.

And they couldn't do that already?...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I suppose they could have already. The potential for abuse is still there. I could see a lot of people losing college scholarships over falsely being convicted of being hideous thieves, when they might have been innocent. The potential for some college prank that ruins someone's life is there. I think that's a great example.
edit on 5/10/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
As far as the idea of being able to recover property that is stolen, this is a fantastic announcement. It will lead to plenty of legitimate convictions. I guess I'm just saying that if a person ends up with someone else's property, it shouldn't be an automatic conviction (because accidents do happen).
edit on 5/10/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Excuse me.... Can't think of a way to abuse? REALLY?

Let's take the VERY prevalent focus in media at this moment... Gun Control.

Here is your Abuse Scenario;

Guy purchase Black Market firearm with no identifiable serial numbers or marks (yes it is possible).
Guy then goes to Woman's house... Finds said Woman's CopDot applicator, scrubs the inner mag well of the pistol and the inside of the slide.
Guy then leaves Woman's CopDot in the house and leaves without leaving a trace he was there.

Guy then finds Enemy of Woman, shoots Woman's Enemy dead, then leaves the Gun at the scene of the crime.

Illegal Black Market Gun is then linked back to Woman and then Woman becomes prime suspect in a murder investigation.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
It won't stop people stealing and majority of stolen goods are never found, a lot of them kept by the thief and not passed on. I can see the room for abuse, I could walk in to a pawn shop and tag a few things for myself that I would like to own, perhaps walk into some art galleries and museums while I'm at it.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There is not a lot of detail on how the system actually works on the website, but sounds like it is based on rfid. Not sure what protections are in place, but if a scanner can be made to over write the chip settings it could also cause a lot of problems, just need to walk into someones house and after a moment all their property is now tagged as yours? Who are the police going to initially believe when a domestic situation is going on, the machine.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's how *I* would abuse it...if I were that kind of person.

Keep my "copdots" with me. When I see something I like - say a beautiful 18-speed mountain bike - I put my cop-dot on it.

Go home, register as mine. Wait a little while. Call the police about seeing someone with "my" property.

Of course, I'd probably want to check for pre-existing cop-dots first; but it looks like I could find them with a portable black light.

reply to post by benrl

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee

If that happens, you might want to re-evaluate your circle of friends...

new topics

top topics

join