It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of creature is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
’m afraid it’s not a hoax. Atretochoana eiselti is one of the most important discoveries of 2011. This particular amphibian (yes, it’s not really a snake) was thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 2011 by a team of engineers who were draining the Madeira River in order to build a new dam. After the discovery two of the six snakes removed from the site were taken to laboratories for scientific studies where scientists marveled at the fact that they not only looked like, well, male sex organs, but that these animals also have no lungs. Up to date nobody has figured out how Atretochoana eiselti actually breathes. So...any takers on what the heck is this creature???

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Naughty naughty!!

Good find for them though, hope some good science will be done.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Wiki

Well, it seems to be an unusual species that scientists are having problems categorizing.

A. eiselti is the largest tetrapod to lack lungs, double the size of the next largest.[4] Caecilians such as Atretochoana are limbless amphibians with snake-like bodies, marked with rings like those of earthworms.[5] It has significant morphological differences from other caecilians, even the genera most closely related to it, despite the fact that those genera are aquatic.[3] The skull is very different from those of other caecilians, giving the animal a broad, flat head.[4] Its nostrils are sealed,[3] and it has an enlarged mouth with a mobile cheek.[6] Its body has a fleshy dorsal fin.[4]

Not everything can be categorized and if the scientists are having problems I am not sure in this case whether ATS can do any better. Strange creature for sure.

P

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Unsurprisingly it earned itself the nickname of "the penis snake"...

I don't have much more to offer, besides that has been offered in the thread already.

But I present some more pictures.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The First Real Proof of Grey Alien and a male !!!!!!!!! wait for the rest of the creature to be revealed to prove to the dumb public that Aliens are REAL

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
It looks like a gangrenous penis!

Sort of makes you wonder why you can't see the rest of it, hey...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Not the joke forum people

Let's stay on topic

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

I wont state the obvious

but i thought you may like this

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

...What else do we think is extinct, that isn't.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Is this the elusive protein python.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Oh, this must be that too Buku, "Alabama Black Snake" that guy in Full Metal Jacket was referring to...

...and to think, that I thought he was talking about his penis this whole time!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Ok that's creepy and gross but fascinating all at the same time!
The article say it has poor eyesight well I don't see eyes at all.
Does anyone see eyes?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't see any eyes!!! Makes it even more disturbing and scary if you ask me.
edit on 10/5/2013 by Shibz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks for all the input thus far...Since this creature was just discovered in 2011 maybe in the next few years we will know more about it, heck who knows maybe they will even start a breeding project to insure that they never do go extinct, since it sounds like they dont have many of them...but then that even raises more questions like what do they eat? How do they tell what gender they are? You get the point....Maybe they will buy some land and make a sanctuary for them to live and thrive in their own habitat...Its obviously a funny looking critter but its alive and here and is worthy of the same attention and research we have given other creatures and I for one would be interested in getting to know this little guy better

new topics

top topics

join