It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pets to get food stamps while children in America Starve each day...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There is nothing deceiving in the title but you stopped by did you not? Looking for someone you could call out or exploit?

Did I state anything about service animals? Nope. Did I state that people on welfare should not have dogs? I quoted someone who says it is not fair that people can use EBT for coca-cola and not dog food. This is true. EBT should not be used for dog food.

Is what this private organization is doing cool? Yup. Does it help? Yup. But it should play second fiddle to human beings. They are not equals.

I said that it is not right that there are children who are starving and there are programs for food stamps for dogs. Read it again what I wrote.

If you think it is ok for a child to starve while a dog gets food, it is not what is wrong with ATS it is what is wrong with America,

A cat or dog can actually reduce your chance of heart attack and you can live longer. I think that is great. Old people in ALF's should have a cat or dog wandering the halls to cheer them up. Cancer children should have a pet to not have them to think about what there short life will entail..

BUT...

I think every child in America needs a meal before a dog. I will not change that thought. If you cannot admit that, well, again, that is what is wrong with America. Priorities.

Also, if it is a not for profit it is a tax write off(so we are paying for it as taxpayers) and if you really think the dogs and cats are getting all the cash, again, you are delusional. If you want to help, go to the local ASPCA and donate 20 lbs of dog food.

Every day, 16000 kids around the world die from hunger. Donate to these guys and then donate to the dogs...

Link

PS - PETA kills animals also so don't donate to them either

edit on 6-5-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

There are NO children starving in America due to lack of government assistance....period....none....zero...zilch. There may be some two-bit drug addled alcoholic lazy-a**ed parents neglecting to acquire assistance for their children, but none are starving for lack of programs.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockerchic4God
OP, you obviously didn't read the entire article you posted as the basis for your thread. It is a totally PRIVATELY-FUNDED program (that means it's not taxpayer money). Last time I checked, it was legal for private, non-profit entities to fund any kind of charity they wish.

Secondly, no children in the US are "starving". Bet you can't find even ONE. If you do find one, call CPS because that parent is obviously too stupid to fill out a benefit form. I know this because I'm a recently retired social worker.

Lastly, many poor people have pets because they are not the easiest people to get along with (many have personality disorders, especially the homeless) and have little to no human support system. Having a dog for love/companionship is all some of these folks have, and I'm sure the dog would rather not be euthanized in a shelter.

ATS is the "deny ignorance" website. Be honest and thorough when you post here and don't twist stuff to whip up outrage over nothing!

I had to answer this one personally....

First, there are plenty of kids starving. How can you be so blind and ignorant to what is around you or are you so privileged you do not care?What planet are you living on.

Privately funded...on donations...and used as a write off. If you think every dime goes to the dogs, well, it is the same logic as you thinking there are not kids in America starving. Tell you what, how about I call a local church and have them stop by your house. I could take you to 3 parks in the area and show them to you.

As far as the poor, I did not say they should not have pets. I could take you to a local conveinence store with an old black guy with a beagle. I give him change whenever I stop there are he is there. I give directly and not to someone who will mismanage funds.

I was not trying to stir up outrage, you guys all did that by yourself. All I said was that I feel it is wrong to give food stamps, even if privately funded, to animals when there are humans starving.

I guess this website is a big bunch of BS, right?

Link

The next time you want to flame someone, get your own facts straight and maybe ask the OP what he means instead of jumping to conclusions...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

What country do you people live in? Are you so reclusive you do not know. The people posting this must not have kids or in contact with kids and stating the only people who could have children starving are crackheads is ignorant to the nth degree.

Read this before you speak about this again....

As a result, children must learn to cope with moving often, sleeping on the floor, and lacking basic necessities like underwear. “They’re growing up big time in those hotels,” Jones said. “You can’t be a kid if you’re worrying about where your next meal will come from.”

Kids cannot learn if they don’t even know whether they’re going to eat,” Scott said. “These kids never know whether they’re going to have to sit alone in a dark, cold hotel room waiting for their mom to come home.”

While Scott admits that some parents of homeless children have made poor choices that led to their homelessness, most of them have simply fallen on hard times.

“No one would choose this for themselves and their children,” Scott said. “The children didn’t choose this. We’ve got to refocus on the children, because they cannot control any of that.”

Scott and his team at Hazel Dell often find themselves using their own private vehicles to transport children to and from school, or to drive parents to job interviews and grocery stores. They call social service agencies, looking for solutions to each family’s particular crisis. They’ve seen heartbreaking situations like children sleeping on a dirt floor, children wearing flip-flops in winter because they lack adequate shoes, and mothers having to sleep right next to their children because they can’t trust the people with whom they’re staying.

Link

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

I agree with everything you have said except this.

Secondly, no children in the US are "starving". Bet you can't find even ONE. If you do find one, call CPS because that parent is obviously too stupid to fill out a benefit form. I know this because I'm a recently retired social worker.

Things happens, parents don't qualify for one reason or another or do not believe, they qualify but still do not have enough for food.
Fraud under the parents social security numbers disqualifying them until they get it cleared up. (I know someone this happened too.)

The family lives in a rural area and they don't have transportation to apply.

There is also a 5 year lifetime limit. at least in my state.
edit on 6-5-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

No, many of you taking it out of context is what is wrong. You folks are picking the wrong battle here.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Why post this stuff in a contentious manner?
You obviously are aware of the human proclivity to mistake the kings english when written.
And no dog is more imprtant than a child.
That being said, do you actually expect that humans behave rationally?
shows how much you know about people...........

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Thank you for your psych eval. At least we agree on one thing but, WTC7 was not a demo...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
You do realize of course, that someone can easily use their government food stamps to buy a can of tuna to feed their cat, right? Just sayin'........

As another said, if a child is starving, there's a problem. No child should, we have benefits for this. If they are, it is the parents' fault, or the child if they are alone and not seeking assistance.

If people want to give to ANY charity, that is their business. And this particular program as pointed out is not a government one, but a private charity.

I have a LOT of animals, yet even when out of work for a time, managed to feed the humans in the house, and the animals. You can't penalize people for getting animals in better times, and suddenly expect them to get rid of them. They are like family. I've had one cat for 19 years, for example. (yep, he's an old man).
edit on 7-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There is a local gas station that advertises...spend over 20 dollars on our EBT and get a free pack is Swisher Sweets..EBT pays for the dime bags(they get cahs back) and they roll it up with the free 'gars. I know how the system is used.

I really wish I had not quoted the 'website' that stated even those on Assistance should get these. I would like some free pet food

My basic point was more that there are kids starving and it not always the parents fault and certainly never a child. Teenagers are embarrassed to be poor and younger kids do not know where to go and teachers are sometimes to busy to notice who is usually the only other adult in their lives. It is real easy today for this to happen. The family dynamic is lost where people used to be able to go to their parents or other family members. 80k is year is not what it used to be with rising healthcare and gas and car insurance and rent, many people do not qualify for benefits unless you live in, say, Boston and you ma get some cash to make sure you have gas and oil for heat. The more money you make, the more bills you have. Plain and simple.

People who make 35-125k with kids are strapped sometimes even with budgeting. People making less scoff at this but it is a reality.This is the 'change' that has been coming for some time and I do not blame it all on Barry, Bill opened up loans to people who did not qualify, GW did not do enough to stop it and now, all those hard working people have horrible credit and live paycheck to paycheck. This is the state of much of America. Surviving not thriving. I wish that those who attacked me in this thread see that instead of thinking I want all dogs to go to heaven.

To make another point,yes.there are a lot of people who may not be 'starving' but Ramen noodles every night is not good for a kid to grow up on when younger. College, go for it, but more programs like Free Food Stamps for dogs need to be created in local areas for kids and families who need it. A child in America may not die but families sometimes have to choose who will have the meal each night, if they can get meds or eat and go without basics. America is not as generous as it once was and people are too selfish to look up from their smartphones to care.

That was my underlying point to all of this. I am not hating on anyone here, just pointing out we should take care of our peeps before our Fido's.

Again, I did not put in the title of the thread "Obama feeds dogs and let kids die"...some of you made that connection all by yourself. If I would not have quoted the website that is "pushing for that people on public assistance need help to feed their dogs" it might have been different.

I also agree 100% that people can donate to whatever they wish too and no one should tell them different. I was pointing out the problem with kids needing to eat and that personally, I think children should come before animals to be fed. An opinion, which we all have, just like as...

LIke I also said, I have animals and love each one...with sweet and sour sauce.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
I dont really understand your angle on this OP. I think its a pretty cool idea for a privately funded non-profit group to help animals. what is so bad about that? theres another program here that assist with cost of expensive medical procedures for pet owners who cannot afford them on their own. Is that bad too?

Thank you so much, Cheese. I'm sending this link to my daughter.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Dogs on Dialysis is just as silly. How do you know how much pain they are in? I have seen people to scared to put a dog down because they could not handle it. How about the poor dog.

I have to admit my animals have CareCredit....like an insurance for animals. That is why I have to really shake my head at some of you. You do not read the threads...your read the byline and do a drive by post.

edit on 7-5-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
To be honest this doesn't even belong in US Political Madness.
This has absolutely nothing to do with US politics.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

But... how many kids in america die from hunger each year. Am I right that your thread was about the priority of children in America over dogs? I'm sure it is significantly lower than the global statistics... In the grand scheme of things though , does it even matter? Do you own a dog? Any pets at all?

Animals are family. While they may not offer much in the ways of technological progress, they also do not start wars, create and enforce unjust laws, or place monetary value on every conceivable resource,,,

They provide unconditional love and companionship. But most of all they are completely innocent. They exist in the same world we do, except they have nothing to do with the current state of affairs. Just innocent bystanders that are always there waiting to greet you when you get home.

Personally, I have become so incredibly attached to dogs I have had in the past. I wouldn't that think for a second that its wrong for people to care so much about the well being of domestic animals.

More importantly, this program is charity... What do you care what I or anybody else might do with our money? Have you never spent any money on anything in life that wasn't a basic necessity? If so(already knowing that the answer is yes), has all that money not spent on personal expense gone directly to help all of humanity?

edit on 7-5-2013 by Cheesefacedogbone because: just to touch up some grammar

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
but more programs like Free Food Stamps for dogs need to be created in local areas for kids and families who need it.

Then start one.. As stated numerous times in this thread, this is not a government program. Obviously someone concerned about the well being of pets did. Someone felt the same amount of compassion for animals as you do children in need. Why not you be the the "change" that you are calling for? These programs all start somewhere, they don't just happen. Why complain about someone else's accomplishment in creating something positive, instead of using that as the inspiration to create your own?

P.s. If you're truly concerned about money going to unworthy causes, then why didn't you make a thread about this site
edit on 8-5-2013 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Link

Here is a thought...if you are too poor to feed yourself...don't have a pet. It is not a right. You have a choice. If you want Federal Assistance you should not have a pet, especially if you have children.

Anyone receiving public assistance through the United States Food Stamp program is prohibited from using the funds to purchase pet food and supplies. “There is zero ability to use food stamp money in any state in the U.S. for any pet food whatsoever, even though you are able to use food stamps for unhealthy things like Coca-Cola (which gets about $4 billion a year from food stamps),” Okon said.

No way to use EBT for pet food. Uh, really. How about you use if for FOOD...

Pet's can be incredibly beneficial to ones emotional health and well being. Now there should be a limit, but having a pet can pay dividends down the road and help teach children in impoverished families important life lessons. We aren't in normal times, things are really, really, really bad right now. It is only a combination of social policy and technology that is giving us the comfort of being able to have some conversations about human and animal welfare that amount to nothing. What would it matter? Are these people bartering food stamps for $500-$1,000 pedigree pets?

Let's be real here, I mean lets drop all the stupid. People at that level of society are either a) taking in strays or b) getting their pets from animal shelters. Both of which ought to be considered a public service to animals that aligned with our species for thousands of years. I know some only care about themselves and not our allies. Sure they may not be the most intelligent allies and sometimes do silly stuff, but they sure know how to lift your spirits when your down.

In these trying times, a brief smile is worth more then gold. I will not deny that to any other human being period.
--------------
To make it nice and clear, I support food stamps for pets. Some people are thick, and since this is technically about a private charity but used in a way to bash the food stamp program, just want to make it clear as I prefer clear language and other people being clear as well.
edit on 8-5-2013 by korathin because: because I did, after the "------------------"

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Why don't all of you who are telling me how I hate animals, read my posts and the entire thread.

1. I have stated that animals can help with disease and can actually help you live longer
2. I have stated that animals should be in ALF's with old people
3. I have stated that I have many animals and that I have insurance for my animals(yes, insurance)
4. I have stated that this is not about the government, but about piorities
5. It is political madness based on the sites line that states those on Federal support are the ones that qualify
6. Why not make it available to everyone.

I then go on to show hiw it is not just those who are on government assistance who could use help for their pets.
So, stop the hate folks,

My point was this, which was in the OP

if you are too poor to feed yourself...don't have a pet. It is not a right. You have a choice. If you want Federal Assistance you should not have a pet, especially if you have children.

Here, I am not saying that you should never own have a pet if struggling, you should prioritize. Children should be first. If you do not feel that way, fine, we have a 'difference of opinion' which I also touched on but you are not reading the whole thread.

I did not blame the government for the program. However, children in America starve each and every day. I also put in a link for that.

So, why all the hate? If anything, I have seen a person cannot have an opinion on children and whether or not they are more important than a pet but can be told they are wrong if they want to help kids. One of you Flamed me and told we there are no starving kids in America????

Pets are great for kids. For comfort. There are also TONS of programs already out there. So on more is not needed if there is still one child without a meal in America.

HUMANE SOCIETY

Free neuter programs...free flea medicine.

The Big Hearts Fund (financial assistance for the diagnosis and treatment of canine and feline heart disease): bigheartsfund.org
The Binky Foundation: binkyfoundation.org
Brown Dog Foundation (prescription medications): browndogfoundation.org
Canine Cancer Awareness: caninecancerawareness.org
Cats In Crisis: catsincrisis.org
The Dog & Cat Cancer Fund: dccfund.org
God's Creatures Ministry Veterinary Charity: www.all-creatures.org
Help-A-Pet: help-a-pet.org
IMOM.org: IMOM.org Magic Bullet Fund (cancer-specific): themagicbulletfund.org The Mosby Fund: themosbyfoundation.org T
he Onyx & Breezy Foundation: onyxandbreezy.org
Paws 4 A Cure: paws4acure.org Pet Food Bank: www.petco.com Pet Food Stamps: petfoodstamps.org The Pet Fund: thepetfund.com
Pets of the Homeless (pet food and veterinary care assistance for homeless): www.petsofthehomeless.org RedRover Relief: redrover.org Rose’s Fund: rosesfund.org Shakespeare Animal Fund: www.shakespeareanimalfund.org Top Dog Foundation “Bentley Grant”: topdogfoundation.org

Now, do you really still want to beat me up ? Tell me i am evil and hate animals?

In 2008, there were less than 30 million on food stamps. That number has swelled to close to 50 million in the last few years. I think there is more of a need to help families right now than dogs. I think they are covered by existing programs.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Nope , this is a privately funded charitable program and the headline by Drudge is deceiving.

Of course it's deceiving. Drudge makes his money by telling lies to the gullible low information fools who believe them and, worse, repeat them.

and yet...here it is with THAT SAME TITLE on ATS!!.....can the ADMINS just change the moniker of ATS to "EMBRACE IGNORANCE", it would seem to be more truthful.
edit on 8-5-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Still not reading and just hating...exactly what I said you all would do...shows why people in this country care more about animals than humans. Animals can't talk back and have their own opinions...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Still not reading and just hating...exactly what I said you all would do...shows why people in this country care more about animals than humans. Animals can't talk back and have their own opinions...

How so? How so are people valuing animals over people? Because people are choosing pets rather than siding with you in this debate/discourse on if poor people should have pets; and if charities and aid programs should be expanded to include pets within reason?(don't want to promote animal hoarding or subsidies commercial breeders).

Millions of American's aren't starving to death like during the first Great Depression, and the mass starvation in other nations has nothing to do with global food supplies, but rather with distribution of current food stocks and internal problems within nations experiencing hunger and starvation.

If you can't take a beating to your ego without going into hysteria, maybe you should take a break from ats for awhile? I know when some people here on ats get to me, I take a breather for a bit, watch anime, focus on school and laugh a bit and calm down a bit.

As far as debate, this thread has done well for itself and you should be proud of that. It is not easy to start intellectual conversations. Heck, most threads end up dieing a shameful death of negligence, never to know deep thought or discourse between ats users and to remain only as baggage in the servers memory systems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join