It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Well, in Australia we actually recently received fair pricement! By fair pricing I mean almost equivalent to USA pricing. We used to pay literally double. (Other digital goods still generally costs a lot more in Australia).

USA: $599.88/year ($586.16AUD)
Australia 613.92/year (599.88AUD/year)

Student edition is only $239.88AUD/year. A bit more reasonable, although in long term...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

nopes you're wrong - you access the payment/activation part on the internet, but the software is installed on your computer, and doesn't need to be online to work. If you rent it for a month, then don't use it for 3 months, and try to use it again, it'll "nag" you for payment and sit there like a dead-duck on your hard-disk until you pay for another month/year. That payment has to be made & verified (activated) via internet. As soon as that is done, your software will continue to work (even offline) until that time-period you paid for runs out. YMMW

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
This is also in the rather looong article, but important to note for those who only want ONE of the programs, for instance.

For those who don't want the entire suite, Adobe offers subscriptions to individual programs. And now they're cheaper, down from $20 a month to $10 a month, Morris said.
(Same Link)

That should make it reasonable for people who just want Photoshop or simply want Illustrator. I may actually return to picking up a subscription for Illustrator or In-Design based on that. $10, I can do. $50? Not so much when I'm not Graphics Design focused anymore.

I've been using CS2 for years (mainly Photoshop), and paid around £800 for it. A few months back my PC developed problems and I've not been able to use it. I had the choice of subscribing to Photoshop for £17.58 per month (around $25), which is ridiculous IMO. Instead I had to go through a complex process of installing an old version of Photoshop CS2 on my new PC the other night. It serves me just fine, and I'm glad I'm not paying any more seeing how much I've paid to Adobe in the past. This new pricing system is daylight robbery

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Umm.. CS2? I'm glad it works for you.... MS Paint works too..for what that matters, I suppose. Might I suggest taking a look at Gimp or Inkscape? I mean, there is out of date and then there is simply using software that is missing basic areas of technology? Heck... If it works tho...I suppose that is what matters most.

I understand people's aversion to wanting to pay for commercial grade software....but really, the companies that make it, aren't popping it out as a subsidized gift. They pay a fortune so we don't have to. Now, to use Adobe in the casual and strictly non-commercial way I do now? Paying isn't worth it and I have 5.5 to make do with.

If I were using it for anything remotely commercial in nature or for revenue producing work right now? I'd have CS 6 and say I had some real problems with skill and marketing if it didn't pay for itself in the first job or two I did with it.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by FireballStorm

If I were using it for anything remotely commercial in nature or for revenue producing work right now? I'd have CS 6 and say I had some real problems with skill and marketing if it didn't pay for itself in the first job or two I did with it.

I'm using it for commercial purposes. I firmly believe in graphic design you have to keep up otherwise you get too far behind the eight-ball.

I have to say - I subscribed to CS6 Adobe cloud last week. The subscription and installation process was (imho) the most efficient, quick and easy I've ever come across in all my years of installing software.

The only problem I'm having is that OS Mountain Lion finder doesn't recognise between an Illustrator eps and a Photoshop eps, but that is a small price to pay.

CS6 . 'Tis a thing of beauty
"sigh" ♥

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

I'm glad it worked out so well. I was hoping it would be what you wanted it to be in having chatted about this before.

There are some little quirks like the EPS thing, but it's a nice set of software otherwise, eh? How do you like the Content Aware toys in photoshop? Like magic almost, eh? Well compared to the manual work which used to be required, anyway.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I have seen first hand how remarkably easy it is to get cs6 for free.
I know several people who knew better than to break out their wallets for this extremely powerful program.

It takes all of 5 minutes and uses the Already downloaded trial version and makes it an "extended trial" by simply replacing a particular folder from the trial version with a folder of the same name from a working version,lol.

With it being that easy to hack, It doesn't surprise me that they are doing this.
It doesn't take much more incentive than the $800 price tag to start thinking of creative ways to obtain it.

The people I know might have been more willing to shell out a couple hundred bucks but, when you have the balls to charge what they are charging, you get what you get.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join