It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA convention speaker advises parents to store guns in kids' rooms

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Not many parents would think that even storing alcohol in a kids' room is a good idea.

Dont worry.

Washington DC Kids can buy it for themselves. Who needs Parents?

"The Pepsi machine was in front of a 4-unit apartment and of course no one claimed responsibility for it. It charged $3 for the malt liquor so kids were buying it (cheaper for adults to get at the store)," she wrote.

Pepsi Vending Machine Sold Malt Liquor Instead Of Soft Drinks In DC Neighborhood

Funny how this happens under Obamas nose. Time for a Malt Liquor ban.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Did the NRA die with Charlton Heston?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The chances of the kid getting hurt with the gun in his room are higher than the chances of the father not being able to get the gun from under his pillow to fend off an attacker.

The pain the father would endure if his son shot himself is not worth the risk of keeping a loaded weapon in a childs room.

The hospital doesn't keep loaded weapons in the hands of patients. The weapons are kept separate.

Come up with a better tactical plan for defense than this, there are plenty out their.

For starters, put your kid in the least vulnerable room of the house so intruders have to get through you first.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

The pain the father would endure if his son shot himself is not worth the risk of keeping a loaded weapon in a childs room.

Agreed but, he is talking about keeping your gun safe in the kid's room. He's not talking about leaving a loaded gun laying out in the open!

I think we've all come to the conclusion that, even inside a gun safe, keeping your gun in your kids room isn't the most practical place for several reasons.

The real reason for the thread wasn't to debate that issue but to share my dismay at the NRA coming out with this advice in the wake of the recent shootings involving kids. It was a really poor decision on their part IMO and the NRA didn't do itself any favors.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As usual, I watched the video and then read through everyone's posts.
It's kind of interesting, but without more context for the speaker's preceding discussion it is ignorant to pass judgement on the video.
Notice one thing nobody brought up which was the speaker stating (paraphrased):

If you are worried about the kids trying to get into the safe simply because it's in their room but you don't think they would try to do the same if the safe were in your room, then you've got bigger problems to deal with.

that sentence right there could've been the entire basis of the discussion/debate, which is totally valid since its being designed to make people think and re-examine the basis for their assumptions with regard to safety/efficacy

Also, one point that I definately feel is lost on the ‘scared-to-death-of-firearms’ crowd is that when children are raised around guns and taught to respect and understand them as tools, then yes, you could, not should –but hypothetically could– really have a damned firearm safe in a kid's room without them messing with it. Because, if you couldn't –then you are doing a poor job of teaching your kids to properly respect/understand the lethality of firearms anywaywhich is exactly what the speaker was saying.

edit on 7-5-2013 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think it is important to remember what the NRA is. It is not a public intrest group. It is not a gun rights group. It is a front for corporations the make, distribute and sell guns. Its job is to sell guns. Period. It does not care about you. So long as you keep that in mind the crazy things they say start to make sense. Their are plenty of legit gun rights groups you can join but you since they are not corporate shills they do not have the money or PR of the NRA.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Hahah... hope he gets canned as a speaker. What an idiotic idea.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Their are plenty of legit gun rights groups you can join but you since they are not corporate shills they do not have the money or PR of the NRA.

I hear that a lot lately about the NRA but what group has been more successful at protecting the 2nd amendment? I’m curious, who are these ‘other’ gun rights groups and what have they actually achieved?

Unfortunately in today’s political environment it takes a powerful lobby to get things done. IMO all of the recent gun legislation would have passed quietly without the loud voice and big spot light of the NRA. For that reason, I’m grateful for the NRA and what they've accomplished. If peddling guns for profit is their biggest fault...so what?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I here you. I'd be scared to do it because the kid might figure out how to open the safe at some point unless its a finger scanning safe or one you need a credit card like card to open. I agree totally with your main point that the timing of their comment was ridiculous.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I guess the NRA shot themselves in the foot with this suggestion.

It's almost like the NRA is giving ammunition to the anti 2nd amendment types.

sorry, I haven't been myself lately...
edit on 7-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In a related concern but no less valid ..do we want to go for our gun when it's a life and death situation, to find that was the day or week our kid decided to screw with it and jam the mechanism?

It could happen but here is the biggest fear I’d have with his proposal.

I’ve seen the way my 3 year old can fly through aps on my iphone. He even cracked my password protection once (and it wasn’t 1234
).

Even if it kept them out 99.9% of the time there is still a 1 in 1,000 chance for my kid to access the gun safe.

Yes, this idea is fairly stupid!

edit on 6-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

You do know that is completely staged. He was shown how to do this.
edit on 7-5-2013 by mythots because: Once upon a time very very close to home a rabbit # in the woods

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
I think it is important to remember what the NRA is. It is not a public intrest group. It is not a gun rights group. It is a front for corporations the make, distribute and sell guns. Its job is to sell guns. Period. It does not care about you. So long as you keep that in mind the crazy things they say start to make sense. Their are plenty of legit gun rights groups you can join but you since they are not corporate shills they do not have the money or PR of the NRA.

Actually, it is a public interest group.
Guns as a rule, really do tend to sell themselves.

To tell you the truth if their job is to "sell guns", then they aren't doing a terribly great job of it because I don't think that I have ever seen an advertisment by the NRA on the TV or the radio even.

Well, I mean if you consider ad placements in Guns and Ammo magazine and the like, or their pamphlets wedged in with the manufacturer's warranty and disassembly instructions that come along with a newly purchased firearm – as the NRA “selling guns”, then I guess they really do.

It's actually a pointless argument because people wouldn't care if they worked directly for the gun manufacturers overtly.
Hey, as long as they're fighting against more restrictive moron laws being written, then mí casa es su casa, Wayne.

But that argument does sound familiar, probably because it's repeated so often by that guy Rachel Maddow on MSNBC or that blathering idiot on the radio, Randi Rhodes.

edit on 7-5-2013 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That video of kids breaking into gun safes is staged beyond belief. Lets setup the safe so the latch isn't actually locked and code reset. Lets give the kid the 4 digit code to open the safe. lets pre drill holes in the top of the safe and show him how to jam a screwdriver into the hole and push down to release the latch.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

So you're cool with the gun safe in your kids room?

Interesting.

Regardless how fake the video is it still illustrates the point. The thought of my kid spending even 10 minutes trying to open my safe is concerning. That certainly wouldn't be an option in its current location (my bedroom).

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by sean

Interesting.

Regardless how fake the video is it still illustrates the point. The thought of my kid spending even 10 minutes trying to open my safe is concerning. That certainly wouldn't be an option in its current location (my bedroom).

Buy a good safe. Period.

That's what I got out of it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I honestly think of the NRA as a terrorist organization (as well as being a bunch of lunatics).

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

reply to post by sean

Interesting.

No I don't agree with it, a bump in the night obviously the gun in the parents room would be accessed faster. A kid can wander into the parents room and play with the safe too. I supposed you could lock the door to the room too, but the more you do this the more it defeats the purpose of getting to your guns as quickly as possible. A good strong safe up in the closet out of reach is plenty secured or a large gun cabinet. An intruder armed with even a knife could stab, or slit your throat faster than you could get a key out of your pocket, or open a gun case, or even know what the hell was happening till it's all to late. Unless of course you are already armed with a gun then you have the upper hand against a knife. There is lots of variables to all of this.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The best thing to do when in your home is instead of hiding the guns that you intend on defending yourself with, keep them on you at all times.

My brother had my shotgun loaded, pointed at, and ready to shoot our neighbor in the chest when he decided to try to break into our house with a hatchet.

The police showed up in time, as my brother would've shot to kill if the dude got in our yard!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

This tells me that there is more fear and paranoia than common sense in the minds of the NRA and a lot of Americans.

This seems to be a common tactic with the NRA - to create the idea that being confronted by an armed intruder happens every day to millions of people and they all die because they didn't have a gun

It's pretty interesting that so many here swallow that propaganda though, while outing other organizations for their proposed manipulation of the truth.

I would say that if you put guns and ammo in the presence of a child as this idiotic man suggests, you are FAR MORE LIKELY to end up with a child killing/maiming themselves with a weapon than you are likely to ever need it to fend off an intruder.

A lot of Americans seem to think there's an armed crazy man stalking their house and about to break in any moment, but this fear is irrational.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

bald head, sniff sniff i smell a corrupt government paid jackass trying to give the NRA bad rep. Exactly what the gov wants.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join