It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA convention speaker advises parents to store guns in kids' rooms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Have you seen this yet?

In the wake of these highly publicized shootings involving kids, is this really the right time to propose something like this???

NRA convention speaker advises parents to store guns in kids' rooms

I’m not sure when this particular convention took place but this certainly doesn’t seem like a good time to make such a suggestion. This is going to be used to further paint the NRA as a bunch of loons, as if the NRA doesn't have enough on its plate already!

Having said that, what do you think about his suggestion? It does kind of make sense! That is the first place I would run to (my kids rooms and my gun safe) if there was an intruder in my home.

edit on 6-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Really stupid idea, sorry. Only takes one time when you forget to lock the trigger, or unload properly.

This is how gun rights groups shoot themselves in the foot. It's as if they throw all logic out the window and become gun rabid. We really need to produce common sense solutions.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm- IDK.

Personally I wouldn't. If you are worried about all that (running to the kids room first, etc...) there is a chance the "bad guy" will be there before you wake up, run to Juniors room and unlock the safe. Sounds dumb.

In my case, I have dogs. When my kids lived at home (they are grown) I kept the Firearms in my bedroom- Had someone decided to break in they would first be dealing with a Pit bull and a Mutt dog (the mutt dog being the mean one, lol) during which time I would have grabbed my kids and holed up in the bedroom while my wife was phoning the Police.

-My best bet would be to try not to even confront anyone because
a) I do not want to kill someone in my home (or otherwise) since it would affect me for life
b)I am not wanting to put myself in a position to die if I dont have to- Especially over "things".
c) A defensive position gives me a 1 up on the intruder IF they make it past the dogs.

-That said, I see no issue with doing this . The Firearms are locked away and it is a free Country (supposedly)- just not a wise idea IMHO.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
reply to post by seabag

Really stupid idea, sorry. Only takes one time when you forget to lock the trigger, or unload properly.

This is how gun rights groups shoot themselves in the foot. It's as if they throw all logic out the window and become gun rabid. We really need to produce common sense solutions.

He didnt say "trigger lock" he said "firearm safe" (world of difference.)

I do actually agree with you though- pretty dumb. bad PR for Firearm owners and too easy to twist/take out of context.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This would be among the reasons I threw my NRA card into the shredder a couple years ago and haven't regretted it since. There are other national organizations for gun rights that are far more ....grounded. They don't look like the radical loons that the opposition make us all out to be. This guy is the poster for it.

He brings truth to the saying...with friends like this? Who needs enemies??

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
reply to post by seabag

That would be stupid, I agree, but that's not what he suggested.

He suggested keeping the firearm in a safe and locating the safe in the kids room. I can see his point but I prefer mine within arms reach!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The leaders of the NRA have what i like to call the "Ted Nugent Effect."

They try so hard to protect gun rights, yet manage to make all of us gun owners look terrible.

I really wish they would just shut up for a while.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Sorry didn't hear him say safe. Still, not totally foolproof.

Also if you did engage in a shootout would you really want the backdrop to be your kids and their room?
edit on 6-5-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

He brings truth to the saying...with friends like this? Who needs enemies??

Did you notice who posted the video?? THINK PROGRESS!

It's already being used against the NRA by the gun grabbers!

Not a very well thought out bit of advice....and extremely poor timing.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Also if you did engage in a shootout would you really want the backdrop to be your kids and their room?

My first priority is getting to them.

I would rather show up to the fight locked-and-loaded rather than fumbling to get my gun out in my kid’s room.

I do see his logic though…that is your first destination as a parent. However, all he managed to do was make the NRA look bad with those comments at this time IMO.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

If you had the time it would be better to get to them and have them get in a room behind you. Drawing fire towards that room would be bad. Of course each situation is different, and you don't always have a lot of time.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You know, there is a practical side to this which doesn't make sense either. Lets note on one hand, safes are rated by the time it takes for a professional to get into them. The longer the time which is estimated, the higher the rating (among other factors). Would we want a safe sitting in our kids room and their "sphere of privacy" for virtually unlimited time to work the thing?

In a related concern but no less valid ..do we want to go for our gun when it's a life and death situation, to find that was the day or week our kid decided to screw with it and jam the mechanism?

I don't know what kind of safe others have, but I inherited a very nice one after my Father passed on. Among it's many features in an anti-intrusion system that is strictly mechanical in nature. If it tips over, is struck hard enough or drilled in the wrong way? It's never opening again without the skills of a locksmith/safe expert. Not a comfy thought under those circumstances.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In a related concern but no less valid ..do we want to go for our gun when it's a life and death situation, to find that was the day or week our kid decided to screw with it and jam the mechanism?

It could happen but here is the biggest fear I’d have with his proposal.

I’ve seen the way my 3 year old can fly through aps on my iphone. He even cracked my password protection once (and it wasn’t 1234
).

Even if it kept them out 99.9% of the time there is still a 1 in 1,000 chance for my kid to access the gun safe.

Yes, this idea is fairly stupid!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

While i agree stuff like this will be used to make the NRA look like complete gun nuts.... It's not new. Every mass shooting, school shooting, you name it, has seen the NRA hold a rally as close to the location, and as soon after the event, as they possibly can.

I kinda get what they are after, trying to whip up their members to a frothy state so they will be "on guard" when "they" come to take their guns.

Now, I'm sorry, but there are so many reasons NOT to keep a gun in a childs room, I couldn't ignore any of them.

BUT, you in particular, mentioned a gun safe. That i can get behind, an unloaded, locked weapon, in a locked safe, no harm there. Add to that some basic responsible gun ownership teachings to the children who live around these guns, and I think you are better prepared than most.

Here's the thing. Your child has a chance to be shot and killed in your home, it's slight and remote, but there is a chance. If you remove YOUR guns from the mix, you are ensuring they will never be accidentally shot by your weapon.

i could really go either way on this, i really wish the NRA would tone it down and have some common sense, unless of course they are (time for my favourite term again)

Alex Jones'ing it up.

Maybe they are doing this specifically to marginalize themselves, maybe that's the game all along.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree 100% with you , NRA is not what it used to be , as a DEM it makes me ill every time is see my own party try to take the rights away, as a DEM, I am for the second, and it shall not be infringed, to bad the rest of the party does not think the same way

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Bad choice.

Im surprised I didnt hear " Take it in the shower with you".

What he should have said was just keep them safe, away from children.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Here's the thing. Your child has a chance to be shot and killed in your home, it's slight and remote, but there is a chance. If you remove YOUR guns from the mix, you are ensuring they will never be accidentally shot by your weapon.

You are correct.

But I’ll also be removing any chance I have of putting a bullet in an intruder to protect my family.

I’ll take my chances on keeping guns in the house; though I certainly won’t be moving my gun safe into my children’s room.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So i renewed my NRA membership recently. Apparently there was an error on the card number or something, and they sent me a note letting me know that I needed to renew still. I told them the correct card number, and forgot about it. They never ran it. I get another notice last week telling me that they just want a check. Not sure why they are being obnoxious about it...but whatever. I need the membership as a prerequisite for a shooting range nearby (or a "gun club", to be more accurate).

On the notice it said something like, "Right at this moment in Washington, there is an army of liberals waiting to march on you and take your guns". It was in huge bold font.

I LOL'd as i wrote out the check.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

On the notice it said something like, "Right at this moment in Washington, there is an army of liberals waiting to march on you and take your guns". It was in huge bold font.

I LOL'd as i wrote out the check.

There is a lot of fearmongering coming from the NRA….for sure! There is also reason for the NRA to be on high alert these days. The attacks against gun owners and gun rights are flying faster than I’ve ever seen them.

The NRA serves a great purpose and for that reason, like you, I hold my nose and pay.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I agree 100% with you , NRA is not what it used to be , as a DEM it makes me ill every time is see my own party try to take the rights away, as a DEM, I am for the second, and it shall not be infringed, too bad the rest of the party does not think the same way.

I second that (no pun intended)!! I wish more Dems felt the same as you on this issue!

There are a few but they remain quite and look for other excuses not to vote for the gun grab.

Obama wanted his bill to make it to the House so he could blame its failure on Repubs but he couldn’t even get it past his own party in the Senate! Unfortunately that has more to do with midterm elections than anything else….but, I’ll take it however I can get it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join