It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Guy Fawkes UK members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Remember Remember the 5tth of november........

Please all follow the saftey rules when using your fire works ect,

Just for those who do not know this celebration we have here in the UK heres a little bit about it,

For almost 400 years, bonfires have burned on November 5th to mark the failed Gunpowder Plot.

The tradition of Guy Fawkes-related bonfires actually began the very same year as the failed coup. The Plot was foiled in the night between the 4th and 5th of November 1605. Already on the 5th, agitated Londoners who knew little more than that their King had been saved, joyfully lit bonfires in thanksgiving. As years progressed, however, the ritual became more elaborated

if you want to read more

www.lasalle.es...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
And don't forget your Tony Blair figure to burn in effigy

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
And don't forget your Tony Blair figure to burn in effigy

haha indeed, there are many an effigy that can be put on me thinks.

You've got to wonder why we still celebrate this though really. I mean I know it's cool for the kids e.t.c. seeing great fireworks and that, but if someone were to blow up the Queen today I'd pat them on the back.

I'm sure if many thought about it they'd have a similar (obviously not as extreme hehe, but you know what I mean) view as mine, except for the Royal Family lovers, I've never understood them people but go for it...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
How cool, my grandpa Guy W. Faulkner was born on that day! Happy Birthday, Granps, wherever you are ~ (deceased)

English with that wonderful dry wit, that nobody over here understands....

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluelady
English with that wonderful dry wit, that nobody over here understands....

Nobody understand us English people

I'm off to a bonfire today, lots of pretty fireworks

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Nobody understand us English people

I actually think that's a good thing, it gives great satisfaction when the other person doesn't even know they've just been had.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Happy Guy Fawkes to the people in the UK or perhaps people that are british celebrating outside the UK

i heard loads of them go off so far 2nite, the only thing is, if you do them yourself. the mess you got in the garden the next day is bad. nothing worse than soggy fireworks

i hope your sticking to sparklers asala hehe

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I had a *blast* of an evening.

What makes those whistling things whistle so darn loud?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Is it me or is Guy Fawkes turning from a celebration that kids enjoy and morphing into an excuse for a p**s up for the adults, (lots and lots of 'firework' parties that went on till 2am) then again we're British do we even need much of an excuse.

top topics

join