It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon May Court Martial Soldiers Who Share Christian Faith

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The Pentagon has released a statement confirming that soldiers could be prosecuted for promoting their faith: "Religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense...Court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis...”.

So President Barack Obama’s civilian appointees who lead the Pentagon are confirming that the military will make it a crime--possibly resulting in imprisonment--for those in uniform to share their faith. This would include chaplains—military officers who are ordained clergymen of their faith (mostly Christian pastors or priests, or Jewish rabbis)--whose duty since the founding of the U.S. military under George Washington is to teach their faith and minister to the spiritual needs of troops who come to them for counsel, instruction, or comfort.

www.breitbart.com...

Is this for real?

Possible courts marshal for anyone promoting their faith?

For over 100 years the military has had chaplins, and now it's 'suddenly' a problem ?

There are some ulterior motives at play here this does not make sense. On the battlefield, in camp soldiers always have the option to 'make peace' with their maker, and have a confidant.

There is an old saying as old was warfare, 'there are no atheist's in foxholes'.

I find the lack of faith disturbing seems to me that violates the first amendment:

Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

That is not a government I would fight for.

Honestly I would not.

For those who would support such a fascist act the military has a civilian leader subject, and confined to the constitution of the Unite States of America to protect, and defend all rights, for all people including government employee's.

I report you decide.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

pros·e·ly·tize
verb ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtīz
pros·e·ly·tizedpros·e·ly·tiz·ing
Definition of PROSELYTIZE
intransitive verb

1: to induce someone to convert to one's faith

2: to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause

According to the article you quoted and linked, it says proselytizing, otherwise known as recruiting. It doesn't say anything about practicing your faith, only attempting to convert others when you should be busy doing the job you signed up for. It's the military, not the Mormon door-to-door service. What part of that is so hard to understand?
edit on 2-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Wasn't aware chaplin's went around trying to convert people.

As already said 100 years, now it's such a big deal?

Don't buy that 'justifcation'.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Definition

pros·e·ly·tize

1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith 2 : to someone to join one's party, institution, or cause
transitive verb
: to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause

To be doing something like this, especially in the middle eastern countries, just creates more problems.

Practicing religion is way different than preaching it, or pestering other people to change their faith

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

War will either make or break the average Christian. And really, chaplains just take up room that could be used for a Gatling or something like that. What good is their Bible? It burns really well, and it doesn't make up for the fact that your buddy was just shot down in cold blood despite his devout faith. What can they tell you, besides the fact that they have no good answers? They're just a liability, dead weight.

'Bout time they're getting rid of the chaplains.
edit on 2-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Neither politics nor religion should be promoted within the ranks imo.

It creates divisions and mistrust, just like in any organization that needs to act as one mindset. Individuals are not good for discipline. That's why they have boot camp, to beat the individual out of you.

You will follow the politics, and religion, issued to you. That is all, fall out.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is hyperbole to get your basic rabid christians' panties in a bunch.

Propaganda to stir up the masses. Red meat for the right.

Ha ha they throw you a poisoned steak now and then and you suckers always eat it and ask for more

When will you ever learn that they are just distracting you with crap they could care less about??

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Reminds me of this scene from Full Metal Jacket.

Private Joker, do you believe in the Virgin Mary?
lol

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
For those who are sitting there saying military service men, and women, are nothing, but killing machines.

They are a whole lot more than that, they always will be if some people are so blinded by the sheer hatred, and bigotry of 'all things religion'.

That is just freaking sad.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Never thought I'd agree with you, but this time you are 100%. Proselytizing does not need to be permitted in the army. What's funny in the OP and the title of the thread is this: "to share" is the code word for zealots when they talk about proselytizing. It happened before in Afghanistan, where some dimwit Christian activists tried to "share". They also referred to Christ as "carpenter", to not get caught. The US of A had to go to great length to rescue them.

The United States, this time represented by one of its important institutions, has no business paying the price of your religious beliefs, not matter what they may be.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
For those who are sitting there saying military service men, and women, are nothing, but killing machines.

They are a whole lot more than that, they always will be if some people are so blinded by the sheer hatred, and bigotry of 'all things religion'.

That is just freaking sad.

That's all fine and good, but what does it have to do with the topic of the thread? It seems to me that you admit by posting this, that the thread has failed. Oh well.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well I am going to Basic Training on Sunday and I'm here to tell you that Jesus is my commanding officer. They tell me all they want that I can't promote my religion, but guess what I'm going to do it even more now. I can talk all I want about my beliefs, and if someone doesn't like it, then I'll be happy to go to any prison they want to send me. If it's God's will then it is God's will. I am happy about this because it's one step closer to Revelation. No prison can hold me as long as I have Christ! No one can kill my spirit as long as I have Christ. Bring it on!!!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Reminds me of this scene from Full Metal Jacket.

Private Joker, do you believe in the Virgin Mary?
lol

Ahahaha. Epic scene.

OT: Soldiers shouldn't be proselytizing for any religion nor any cause inside the confines of service.

So long as the prohibition is applied equally to all religions, I wouldn't see a problem with it.

You could have serious issues with the chain of command if independent chains of authority organically grew up through the unauthorized organizing of a religious sub-community inside of a military force.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am christian and that doesn't bothers me at all. See....., it's always been someone trying to get rid of us for the last..... 2000 years?. They all are in a cemetery now, many of them with a cross on their tombstones.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Never thought I'd agree with you, but this time you are 100%.

Hold that thought while I quickly change my opinion to something less agreeable.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

That's all fine and good, but what does it have to do with the topic of the thread? It seems to me that you admit by posting this, that the thread has failed. Oh well.

Has everything to do with the topics, as well as the responses thus far.

Apparently freedom of religion is just lip service.

Why stop at the military why not make it a crime for everyone in the country if there is nothing wrong with it?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

So what is god's will for you? Is it to kill all the [SNIP] and muslims? You see it is tolerant Christians that everyone can get behind. Normally these people are antiwar and all about brotherly love. It is you jihadists for Christ that boil my blood. So yeah, you go ahead. Bummer you can't get another job.
edit on 2-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/5/13 by argentus because: snipped derogatory word

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I also find it quite hilarious most of you are on board with creating mindless robotic drones for soldiers rather than a man or woman who believes in a higher power. It is so they can have soldiers with no morals at all whatsoever so they do WHATEVER they are told

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
reply to post by neo96

I am christian and that doesn't bothers me at all. See....., it's always been someone trying to get rid of us for the last..... 2000 years?. They all are in a cemetery now, many of them with a cross on their tombstones.

Yep in a cemetery before that there was usually a chapllin with a lot of them giving last rites, and not go out of this world alone.

Once buried religious service's offered again.
edit on 2-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join