It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

scientists-find-evidence-cannibalism-at-jamestown

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting post. Is this the first discovery of cannibalism during this time period? I'm actually a bit surprised. Even all the way up to the Andes plane crash in '72 (maybe even more current events happened I'm not aware of) people do what it takes to survive. Although this is a startling discovery I doubt this recovered body will be the last of its kind to be discovered.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedWheel
Thanks for the interesting post. Is this the first discovery of cannibalism during this time period? I'm actually a bit surprised. Even all the way up to the Andes plane crash in '72 (maybe even more current events happened I'm not aware of) people do what it takes to survive. Although this is a startling discovery I doubt this recovered body will be the last of its kind to be discovered.

Greetings WingedWheel well they are reports of ritual cannibalism among some native Americans and periodically reports of cannibalism would pop-up now and then among newcomers including the famous Donner party of 1846. from what I have read there are different forms of cannibalism the majority of which are ritualistic, followed by military men extreme hatred and disdain for their opponents like what happened at the siege of Ma'rra

Maarat was not as rich as the crusaders had hoped and they were still short of supplies and food as December progressed. Most of the soldiers and knights preferred to continue the march to Jerusalem, caring little for the political dispute between Bohemond and Raymond, and Raymond tried to buy the support of the other leaders. While the leaders negotiated away from the city, some of the starving crusaders at Maarat reportedly resorted to cannibalism, feeding on the dead bodies of Muslims. A chronicler, Radulph of Caen wrote: Some people said that, constrained by the lack of food, they boiled pagan adults in cooking-pots, impaled children on spits and devoured them grilled. These events were also chronicled by Fulcher of Chartres, who wrote: I shudder to tell that many of our people, harassed by the madness of excessive hunger, cut pieces from the buttocks of the Saracens already dead there, which they cooked, but when it was not yet roasted enough by the fire, they devoured it with savage mouth

There are reports of the Japanese imperial army during WWII of many cases of cannibalism,George Bush Sr narrowly escaped being eaten.

The former President George Bush narrowly escaped being beheaded and eaten by Japanese soldiers when he was shot down over the Pacific in the Second World War, a shocking new history published in America has revealed.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
full story^

Many written reports and testimonies collected by the Australian War Crimes Section of the Tokyo tribunal, and investigated by prosecutor William Webb (the future Judge-in-Chief), indicate that Japanese personnel in many parts of Asia and the Pacific committed acts of cannibalism against Allied prisoners of war. In many cases this was inspired by ever-increasing Allied attacks on Japanese supply lines, and the death and illness of Japanese personnel as a result of hunger. However, according to historian Yuki Tanaka: "cannibalism was often a systematic activity conducted by whole squads and under the command of officers".This frequently involved murder for the purpose of securing bodies. For example, an Indian POW, Havildar Changdi Ram, testified that: "[on November 12, 1944] the Kempeitai beheaded [an Allied] pilot. I saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it [into] small pieces and fried it."[68] In some cases, flesh was cut from living people: another Indian POW, Lance Naik Hatam Ali (later a citizen of Pakistan), testified that in New Guinea: the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese.

The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.[69] Perhaps the most senior officer convicted of cannibalism was Lt Gen. Yoshio Tachibana Yoshio), who with 11 other Japanese personnel was tried in August 1946 in relation to the execution of U.S. Navy airmen, and the cannibalism of at least one of them, during August 1944, on Chichi Jima, in the Bonin Islands. The airmen were beheaded on Tachibana's orders. As military and international law did not specifically deal with cannibalism, they were tried for murder and "prevention of honorable burial". Tachibana was sentenced to death, and hanged

edit on 6-5-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

I have definitely read about the Japanese in WWII. Having a grandfather serve in the pacific theater, I heard only a few stories...but the ones I did get a chance to hear have stuck with me. As for the rest of your additional information I will have to poke around and look at these examples, it's just so far away from normal everyday thought it's chilling. How many of the bare necessities are we removed from acting like animals? Again, interesting/chilling stuff...

<< 1   >>

join