It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I voted for Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Okay, since it seems that a lot of people are mystified on how Bush won, I will elucidate you as to my own reasonings.

First, for the stat gatherers -

I a 33 year-old, bi-lingual (Russian/English), male with some college. My current household income is right around $50,000 for two of us. I am married and have been for 5 years. I am a practicing Catholic. I am a third generation Irish-American, though was raised in a primarily Hispanic household - my stepfather and his family are Mexican Americans, with his parents having immigrated during WW2. My Grandpa became an American citizen by serving in the Army. I work in the Entertainment Industry in Southern California. Uhhh... let's see, hopefully that is enough of my physical demographic for you.

As to my opinions on the tough issues, I support the right to choose on abortion and am for gay marriage 100%. I believe in a strong military and also in a strong foreign aid package. I think our education system is better than people give it credit for but could still use some help. I support the death penalty but am also idealistic in the belief that people can change if they are willing to work at it. I have traveled abroad (though mostly in Asia) and consider myself fairly well read.

I love my country and served for 4 years in the military, though don't think any less of people who haven't.

In short, like most Americans, and I dare say other humans, I have a complicated and unique view of the world.

Now, as to why I voted for Bush when I obviously don't share all of his views. I believe that Bush is, at heart, a good person. I feel that he has a set of convictions and "rules" that he plays by. If these are based in his Christian foundation, then so be it. Our laws here are based on those same beliefs, and I think they are pretty fair.

Everything I saw from Kerry was all doom and gloom and negativity. We Americans are, by and large, a nation of optimists and very hopeful to the future. I don't tend to hear that message from the Democratic party. The Republican party has an attitude that with hard work and focus that every single person in America can be successful and rich. The Democratic party has the attitude that, for whatever reason, the majority of people are oppressed and/or unable to succeed without the government taking care of them.

I think that we are doing the right thing in Iraq and Afghanistan and, though people are dying... no - friends are dying - and I know as well as they do that their deaths mean something. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Patriots and tyrants."

I can already hear the cries of "but Bush is a tyrant!" Get over it. That is a small-minded view of the world from someone who has never actually seen injustices. Someone who thinks that panties on the head of a prisoner is somehow worse that being forced to watch as your wife is raped repeatedly. Yes, Abu Ghraib was an embarassment but one which didn't "leak out" as so many say. It was intentionally released by those it would harm the most. Why? Because it was the right thing to do.

Anyway, I voted for Bush because he believes what he believes and no amount of polling will change that. He has a moral compass, and though I don't always agree with his beliefs I am happy that he at least has them.

Bush got my vote, and that of millions of my fellow Americans because he earned it when you look around. More American's own homes now than at any other time in history. More black people. More white people. More hispanics. More Americans. The economy can't be that bad if that is the case.

I am safer today because of his actions and the war against terrorism (fascism). Iraq has brought a non-traditional enemy onto a traditional battleground.

To those of you wondering why there were so many more Kerry/Edwards signs, it's because I was like a lot of Bush supporters and was afraid of the "tolerance" of Kerry's supporters. The day I put a Bush sticker on my car it was keyed. So much for the left supporting MY freedom of speech. In my neighborhood, Bush signs were repeatedly destroyed and one house was spraypainted.

Anyway, I hope that I have laid out my reasons well enough to help those mystified by the results to understand that we didn't vote for Bush because we are stupid, but because we looked around and saw a world and a future more in line with what Bush was offering than what Kerry was offering.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
YUP: This is what I said last night

Bush put a "Nice good person" Image into other peoples head using words such as "Values" and "You know where I stand"

Now, people who KNOW NOTHING about republicans (people who watch the news channles)

And people who KNOW NOTHING about third partys (people who watch the news channles)

Those people, whose KNOWLEDGE on the situation comes 90% from *free news channles*. The ONLY thing those people have to base their vote on is "Bush *feels* good"

So, because bush feels good to them, THEY VOTE FOR HIM.

Good thing the MEDIA IS CONTROLLED and will never say anything about the third partys (whether it be good or bad)

Good thing the MEDIA IS CONTROLLED and will never tell people how to research the partys or even say researching partys is good

Good thing the MEDIA IS CONTROLLED and they will only show things about republicans / democrats

Using the controlled media- bush could say "I'm a good person", "I fight for what I believe in", "I got values"

People watching will think to themself "Bush is a good person, he fights for what he believes in, he has values".

And if thats THE ONLY THING people base their decision on. . . . bush wins (GG)

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
"I am safer today because of his actions and the war against terrorism (fascism). Iraq has brought a non-traditional enemy onto a traditional battleground."

It's funny then that the only place that suffered the full brunt of terrorism voted for Kerry. To think that the war in Iraq somehow will prevent terrorism is illogical, it is a civil war. You only need a handfull of people to fly a plane into a building but for a civil war you need thousands if not millions. So i don't see the connection between Iraq and terrorism since it was a secular state that would have put down religious fanatics like Bin laden and co... unlike the Taliban which was a religious state that was supportive of them. Iraq could actually end up being a breeding ground for people like Bin laden if things continue as they are with the religious fanatics starting to get more power and supporters than they ever had before.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Sabre262]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Are you insinuating that C(L)NN - the Cable (Liberal) News Network is controlled? Sorry - I'm not buying it. CBS? Nope - mainstream media is, in fact, very liberal - so your opinion about control from Bush is not factual.

Bush won because of people like roswellite. People who don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but people who know that he has a set of convictions and will do what he thinks is best - even under criticism. To me, that's a leader.

You nay-sayers can go on with your petty whining and moaning about the end of the world, but you just make yourselves look more and more immature and ridiculous. WORK TOGETHER people - if not, then MOVE AWAY.

Four years from now, I may vote Reublican again - or I may vote Democrat...I know this - I WILL VOTE FOR THE MAN (OR WOMAN) I FEEL IS THE BEST LEADER.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
New York has gone Democratic for virtually all previous elections going back to the early 20th century. The only notable exception was for Reagan when most everyone else went for him, too.

Do you honestly think that these people who are beheading INNOCENT civilians would be doing good works were we not in Iraq? Think about it. are you able to kill someone in such a deliberate and cold blooded manner? I hope not.

Saddam Hussein was paying the family of each suicide bomber $25,000. That seems like clear support of terrorism to me. That amount of money in any third (or second) world country is huge. It could literally set you up for life.

Also, Iraq gives a focus for the Islamic extremists. If they want to punch America in the mouth is it easier to do it there or over in the US? In this way it very much is a distraction, just not the one that some people think it is.

The vast majority of the people in Iraq are thankful that they have the opportunity to be free and understand it will be difficult for a while but in the long run it will be better.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by roswellite
Everything I saw from Kerry was all doom and gloom and negativity.

Well what if it was in fact objectivity?

We Americans are, by and large, a nation of optimists and very hopeful to the future.

That's fantastic, but it should not lead to delusions about how bright the future looks, especially with certain current policies.

The Republican party has an attitude that with hard work and focus that every single person in America can be successful and rich.

You may have read statistics. American are working longer hours and their productivity is OK. However, the number of bankrupcies has skyrocketed. I hear news from various neighborhoods about the downward mobility of the middle class.

The Democratic party has the attitude that, for whatever reason, the majority of people are oppressed and/or unable to succeed without the government taking care of them.

That statement is basically untrue. On the contrary, the republicans seem to intervene in people's lives, be it abortion issue, or prohibition to buy medicine in Canada, etc etc etc

I think that we are doing the right thing in Iraq and Afghanistan and, though people are dying... no - friends are dying - and I know as well as they do that their deaths mean something. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Patriots and tyrants."

The unnecessary war in Iraq doesn't help my liberty here in the US, that's pretty darn sure. And the Iraqis have suffered quite some bloodletting, between 20 and 100k dead. That's pretty poor gardening, speaking of libery trees and such.

Someone who thinks that panties on the head of a prisoner is somehow worse that being forced to watch as your wife is raped repeatedly.

If you read the reports, there was a stronger component than this (panties). And it's a poor argument, "be thankful at least we didn't rape your wife, just forced you to masturbate".

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sabre262

It's funny then that the only place that suffered the full brunt of terrorism voted for Kerry. To think that the war in Iraq somehow will prevent terrorism is illogical, it is a civil war. You only need a handfull of people to fly a plane into a building but for a civil war you need thousands if not millions. So i don't see the connection between Iraq and terrorism since it was a secular state that would have put down religious fanatics like Bin laden and co... unlike the Taliban which was a religious state that was supportive of them. Iraq could actually end up being a breeding ground for people like Bin laden if things continue as they are with the religious fanatics starting to get more power and supporters than they ever had before.

Millions of Americans from coast to coast still have no idea that George W. Bush and his republican administration were negotiating a caspian sea oil pipeline with those very same Taliban terrorist regime up until Sept. 11th

It's never about the security, its about the black gold.

I highly believe 9/11 would of never took place if those negotiations were deemed successful, literally pooring billions of dollars into the pockets of the Taliban and keeping them well happy in the world. I know it's all speculation now, but i do believe the Taliban were not happy with their slice of the pie with the parties involved, hence going forth with the 9/11 attacks on America.

Sometimes i wonder how different the world would be if Al Gore was President

[edit on 4-11-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
why i would have voted for Bush had i felt like getting off my lazy ass:

land use access

that is all.

environmental fanatics traditionally find a lobby in democratic administrations much more easily than they do in republican administrations. i am an off-roader.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
most people seem 2 HAVE FORGOT 911!!! and voted for their own personal
gain - great job at denying ignorance but not so good at deny selfishness!

people outside the u.s cannot believe Bush was voted in...election fraud?
....the bogeyman bin laden trick worked?....please tell me it is anything but personal gain.

if it is the a personal gin thing then i guess this really is hell on f ng earth

top topics

join