It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A long time ago? In America I remember when.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
A long time ago? I remember when.....

Sigh... Yes Americans! don't you remember when? you could have "sit ins" to protest something? Now SWAT teams PEPPER SPRAY PROTESTERS IN THE FACE and arrest them for nothing!

Sigh Yes a long time ago in America... You could get a paper traffic ticket .. today.. cops tazer you!

Sigh Yes a long time ago in America.. cops did not throw down drugs or weapons and theaten citizens with arrest!

Sigh, Yes a long time ago in America.. you could keep a gun for your families protection.. Now? You are a terrorist for just thinking about personal protection!

Sigh, Yes a long time ago in America.. children could play "cops and robbers" but today are being expelled from school for "just being children or playing for fun ( 4 year olds with bubble guns) ON THE PLAYGROUND!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I remember when people wouldn't stand for this, wouldn't let this happen.

I guess Martins dream ended on the balcony.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I remember when ...
you could fly without getting molested by the tsa ... you could ride motorcycles without a helmet ... there was free speach instead of politically correct newspeak ... children could go to school and not worry about some lunatic shooting them ...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
When politicians, CEOs and most other government employees where held accountable for their actions like the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I remember when....

Crime didn't pay... hard work did and people knew the difference.

People loved the truth and hated a lie.

To be called an American was worth dying for, to be called a Christian was worth living for and to be called a traitor was worth fighting for.

Criminals were sent to jail... not to Washington.

edit on 4/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I remember when....

It was a social stigma to have a relative in jail. Now my students think its bragging rights.

I remember when....

Students came to school to learn, and parents respected the teacher. Now I feel like a glorious babysitter, and parents rarely listen to what I have to say or take my advice.

I remember when....

I would run barefoot in the summer and get stung by bees at least three or four times. Now I rarely see bees at all.

This brave new world is not for the better, me thinks.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
When people believed others where good and honest because they wanted to be and not because the government told them to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I remember when....

It was a social stigma to have a relative in jail. Now my students think its bragging rights.

I remember when....

Students came to school to learn, and parents respected the teacher. Now I feel like a glorious babysitter, and parents rarely listen to what I have to say or take my advice.

I remember when....

I would run barefoot in the summer and get stung by bees at least three or four times. Now I rarely see bees at all.

This brave new world is not for the better, me thinks.

I have to bow to you. Seriously. There is not enough money in this world to make me want to teach. I don't know how you do it because I would be in jail before 1st lunch ended for sure. My daughter's teachers have never had to call and complain, but my daughter has come home and said that Mr. or Mrs. was mean to her or punished her for something. I always asked her what she did instead of getting on the phone and cussing the teacher out. She is in the 9th grade now and I have seen parents at school act like they need to be quarantined for rabies if the teacher had an issue with their children. :shk:

I really feel for what you have to put up with.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
When politicians, CEOs and most other government employees where held accountable for their actions like the rest of us.

Thanks to you all... Lets keep this thread going for AMERICA we do not live in Americka..

What else do you remember when in America?

I remember people having real PRIDE and RESPECT for the flag,

I remember when you could say "GOD" or Jesus and Not have to mention Allah or Budda in the same sentence.. But ist RIGHT to respect all religions.. Christians should be FREE to pray

I remember when you could stand on the corner and PRAY.. today you will be arrested as a terrorist!

I remember REAL entertainment on TV shows and not $200 a month cable with 500 stations of INFOMERCIALS AND CRUDE SEX SMUT AND CRAP

I remember when packages of FOOD weighed the same each week and did not go from 24 peices of something to 12 and RAISE the price

I remember when people actually WORKED at their jobs and did not expect to get paid for NOTHING

I remember when GASOLINE was 19 to 34 cents a GALLON... and when it hit 50 cents we all freaked out

I remember not having to have bags checked at the malls and at sports events!

I remember when MEN were MEN and respected women.. Women were happy to raise families and did not consider it a loss of freedom to love their children and care for them at home

I remember when young people did not have 10 kids our of wedlock.. and they knew who the daddy was most of the time!

I remember when young people got married, set up a household and had DREAMS about a happy future

I remember when a college degree MEANT something!

What else do you remember in America Land of the free and home of the brave?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I remember when....

Getting pregnant in high school was a social stigma, and pressure was often induced to marry the boy, usually at the behest of the girl's father and a handy shotgun.. LOL

When your handshake was your bond.

When young people were polite to older people, even strangers they didn't know.

When folks used to surrender a bus seat to a disabled person or a lady.

Extended families often resided together in one home.

A high school education was yet good enough to get a decent paying job.

Women were still home raising their families, not in the workplace because they had to, but only because they wanted to.

Divorce, was still considered "taboo", and a social stigma was attached to it.

The first man landed on the moon. ;-)

Peace!
SK

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
When hamburgers always had real meat in them.

When getting lost meant you where lost and not that your GPS had run out of power.

When there wasn't a warning label on everything.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I remember growing up in a home with unlocked doors and never even worried about break-ins.

I remember families having closer connections (family picnics and reunions).

I remember parents being involved with their children, knowing all of their friends and their friends' parents.

I remember my mom being a stay at home mom and she never had to defend herself for doing so.

I remember playing in the woods, not coming inside until it got too dark out. Staying inside would have been considered punishment.

I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning at school.

Thank you for creating this thread!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I remember when people had actual conversations instead of texting and instant messaging.

I remember when a tank of gas didnt cause a sizeable dent in my bank account.

I remember when kids played outside instead of sitting in front of the tv.

I remember when books smelled musty and I had a mail order library service to deliver my books to my home free.

I remember when it was a family embarassment to be pregnant at 16, or to have two children by 18.

I remember when I didnt have to keep my bike locked up at my OWN home to keep some schmuck from stealing it.

I remember when you could break down on the side of the road and people would stop to help.

I remember when I could buy a coke and a candy bar for a dollar!

I remember when I could play outside until dark and my mom didnt have to worry I would be kidnapped or murdered,.

I could go on and on...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I remember...
When I could actually pay my bills and had money left over to save or have a little fun...
When time was slower and I could actually get things accomplished AND relax in the evening after work
The joy of receiving a postcard or (gasp) letter from a friend
When skies were blue and clouds were puffy and beautiful
When teens' pants weren't hanging below their butts
When teens earned their own $$ to get their first car and pay their own insurance
The joy of having a homemade picnic by the beach with the transistor radio playing
When you didn't worry about being sued over stupid things
When neighbors looked out for one another
When holding a real book in your hand and having dog-eared pages and bookmarks was the norm
When you could go "hang out" at the airport, people watching, and dreaming of traveling somewhere when you were young
When your suitcase wasn't always rifled through
When customer service meant something
When you didn't feel compelled to air your every move on social media
When my family all sat down to eat "supper" when dad came home from work
When we actually had four distinct and wonderful seasons
When we had some semblance of privacy

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I remember when you could mail a letter for a nickel
when you could walk to the corner store without being afraid
when you could take a drive without worrying about the high price of gas
when you could turn on the tv without seeing violence everywhere
when you could trust the person you were talking with was not high on drugs
when being successful was something to be proud of. Now we must dress down to avoid being harassed
when you didn't see a drug deal outside every 1 - 2 minutes

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
In America I remember many people were not on welfare and more people were willing to become successful in their lives.

I remember when the television shows had less to do with "reality" and more entertainment.

I remember when people hid drugs from others. Now people use them freely and see it as a badge of honor.

I remember that only a small percent of kids and other people were on medication to help them. Now they're all on medication and having worse problems.

I can go on and on. You might not agree with me, but as Bob Dylan says "these times are a changing" Something of that nature. The good ol' days were not perfect. But the future doesn't look bright.

new topics

top topics

join