It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does 'That' Thread Have So Many Flags??!! Allow Me To Explain...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
It took me a while to realise this, but how clear it is once you see it. Now hopefully this thread doesn't get deleted, as it highlights what is really happening on this site.

To avoid breaking the rules, I won't link names of posters or actual threads, but basically, accounts are being set up and agent provocateurs are starting threads and then 'flagging' each others threads to create attention, which is then used to monitor our replies.

Next time you come to this site, look at the home page and if any thread has let's say 70+ flags, check out the thread. Now sometimes a thread is legit, contains excellent info and genuinely receives attention. Sometimes people over flag a MSM source or catchy title, but more increasingly, threads that do not warrant much attention at all are being overflagged to artificially create attention.

Once you identify these threads, check out the OP, go to their profile, there are account names on here with less than 10 threads started but close to 1,000 flags!!

Check out the content of these threads and you will see the content is poor, no detail, just usually a link to a video they don't even explain- but usually highlighting a key topic that would be 'of interest' to someone collecting data.

Agent Provacateurs flagging specific threads to generate artificial attention which is then used to monitor people's replies based on the subject.

Oh and for those interested, the main current reason for this is to identify who and how many people are showing 'sympathy with the enemy', namely Islam- take what I have said and do some research- check out threads and compare the number of flags in relation to number of replies and also the content of the replies and level of criticism to the OP- it isn't hard to work out...
edit on 27-4-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I'm wondering the same about the thread in your signature.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

I thought that was a pretty good thread to be perfectly honest

Believe me or not, that is what is happening (although I'm guessing you never even read the OP but just the title!)

+33 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012

Believe me or not, that is what is happening (although I'm guessing you never even read the OP but just the title!)

I did read the OP, I was trying to make a point. People have different opinions as to what is crap and what isn't, also there is no "flag down" button, so 50 people could flag it while every other member thinks it's crap but it still makes it to the top.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I did read the OP, I was trying to make a point. People have different opinions as to what is crap and what isn't, also there is no "flag down" button, so 50 people could flag it while every other member thinks it's crap but it still makes it to the top.

I agree with your principle, but when you have a thread with 130 flags, 20 replies and 15 of those replies are saying why has this thread got so much attention, one has to reasonably question where those 'flags' are coming from. It is a shame I can't discuss examples because what I describe in the OP is quite clear to recognise, and it is new to ATS in the last 6 months or so, certainly more noticeable now at least.

Experience really helps a lot- knowing what types of threads get attention etc, there are some excellent threads on ATS that genuinely deserve loads of attention and there are many that reach the front page for all to see that just doesn't make logical sense unless a group of people are artificially creating that interest.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Now thats what I call a conspiracy theory!
I'll follow this one for a while to see how it develops.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I cant say that I agree with your premise whole heartedly but what youre saying is interesting.

For example, the following thread received an incredible amount of positive attention ie flags and stars:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To summarize, the above thread wanted to make it clear that you are not a "sovereign citizen" and to think that you are is a waste of your time.

In other words, you are owned by and a slave of the establishment. Any attempt to dispute the establishment or declare your rights, especially by way of the "sovereign citizen movement" is especially futile...

I found it very odd how the thread was so incredibly critical of this idea. As though it was imperative that people be discouraged at all costs.

IMHO, the OP was way too knowledgeable on the topic for it to be random.

Maybe you are onto something...

edit on 27-4-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I think you're giving too much credit to the twitter/facebook/youtube mob that seem to love no content, force fed opinion.

but you're talking about george bush, arent you. a video, little op content...

yeah, either that or you're jealous.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I agree the 'facebook mentality' has taken over, I know many detailed threads are ignored whilst videos linking MSM that confirm the very same information receive the attention, that I agree with.

What I am referring to however, is something else entirely. We can't talk individual examples because that goes against the rules of the site. Keep in mind what I refer to in the OP and pay attention as threads come up.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
theres times I find a thread of interest ... but have no comment as one line replies discouraged .. thus will star & flag and move on to the next post ...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
theres times I find a thread of interest ... but have no comment as one line replies discouraged .. thus will star & flag and move on to the next post ...

Again, I agree with the example you give...this is not, as nothing really is, a black and white issue.

What I am referring to in the OP is happening, my theory as to 'why' may well be wrong but certain threads ARE 100% receiving artifical interest to be brought to the front page and for certain 'issues of interest' to be discussed.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Again, I agree with the example you give...this is not, as nothing really is, a black and white issue.

What I am referring to in the OP is happening, my theory as to 'why' may well be wrong but certain threads ARE 100% receiving artifical interest to be brought to the front page and for certain 'issues of interest' to be discussed.
noticed that ... I dont even waste time on such threads ... thought would just add a reason you hadnt mentioned .. usually the ones I find of most interest rarely make it to top page even though the op's did well researching and posting them ...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

noticed that ... I dont even waste time on such threads ... thought would just add a reason you hadnt mentioned .. usually the ones I find of most interest rarely make it to top page even though the op's did well researching and posting them ...

I agree, there are some legendary threads going back over the years that received little attention but are truly epic in content!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I ve always found your threads a real bore and never flagged them. Those who recieve many flags, according to stats (were you to really study them), are usually very skillful posters with interesting content and not the whining you usually provide. Just an observation.

edit on 27-4-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Sour grapes from someone who thinks they should be flagged more.

Seriously, there are more important things in life than being flagged on ATS.

ETA - THIS needs to be kept in mind

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW
edit on 27/4/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I follow what you're saying and while I don't know to what extent such organized efforts occur on ATS, we have seen evidence of such activities in the past in (for example) the 9/11 forums. The tactics there were slightly different but there was a degree or organization involved on the part of some members.

With the speed and various levels of communication available these days, those sorts of efforts are likely inevitable. The thing that concerns me is a point you also made in your last paragraph, where you referred to the "the main current reason for this". I'm glad you made that distinction, because "current" completely changes the perspective of your following comments about "the enemy" being Islam. Personally, I would have preferred a distinction between the religion and those who profess it, but I follow your point.

A couple of weeks back, the MSM were in total feeding frenzy over a very different "enemy" -- namely North Korea. It was the front page here and just about everywhere, it was the main content of the MSM news reports. The US was reportedly moving more assets into the region, Jim Clancy from CNN went over to Seoul to do live updates. Yadda yadda yadda.

The threads on here were numerous, to put it mildly.

Then the Boston Bombings happened and suddenly, NK simply vanished from the front pages of the MSM, and from here as well. For the next week or so it was Boston this and Boston that, and the whole while I was thinking: "But wth is going on in Korea? If it was such a threat, why are we hearing nothing at all now?"

Why? Simple. The MSM have to chase their ratings, for one thing. News is entertainment. It sells. So they foucs on whatever is the hot topic of the moment. It matters not one whit to the MSM if the world is on the brink of a nuclear war (if it really was anyway), they have something happening at home and it's (quote unquote) radicalized Islamic terrorists, so get out there with the news crews and report it 24/7!

North Korea? Who cares?

Oh, and now we get a double-edged sword. We've got Boston, we've got some guys up in Canada who got arrested while planning an attack (and they were apparently Muslim), and just purely by coincidence, they've found a chunk of plane from 9/11 in NYC.

All that is one edge. The other edge? Syria.

Remember them? They never went away. They just got ignored by the MSM for a while. But now, they need them to create the other edge. The enemy of the moment. And as the general public are pretty fed up with the usual Syria stuff, we get a new angle. Now intelligence sources have evidence that Assad's regime are using chemical weapons.

The North Koreans have nukes, and might even be able to launch one on a long-range missile. Might. We don't really know. But the Syrian govt forces have chemical weapons and they've been using them. Well, intellignece says they have evidence and that gets translated to fact graven in stone. You know how it is with the MSM.

Perhaps Boston became a problem? Perhaps there was too much focus on it and too many people were starting to ask some questions? I don't know. Just puttin g it out there and not asserting anything on that score. But maybe some people thought it was time to dig out some other enemies and dust them off and get the MSM focused on them.

So, getting back to here. What threads will come along next? Do some members on ATS just follow along on whatever the MSM media is feeding on at the moment and post new threads only on that? Yes, often that's the way. What else should we do? If we post on something that is not getting any coverage elsewhere, we are lucky if the thread gets a half dozen replies. And let's face it, people like some acknowledgement for their work.

Summary: it's not all sinister. Much of what we see here is a mirror of the MSM's current focus. However, I agree that some threads do seem to get a lot of credit for producing very little.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 27/4/13 by JustMike because: fixed mod coding tags

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Heck I even give stars when the someone post is off topic
Why because sometimes "that's real talk"

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I see what your saying on here I have been curious on some threads I've read have had a lot of flags relatively fast with no real content in the OP. I don't notice as a large issue and have chalked it up to having to have a specific W point to post on certain forums. i.e. I thought people were just padding their stats to be able to post more.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Just about every person I've had suspicions about is above^ ^ ^ me!
And they've all entered this thread to "Give it attention".

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Without getting into the capabilities and data flow I personally believe admin here has available, by my own experience in running websites of various types over the years, I'll say this. I don't buy it happening for any length of time. I'm sure it does happen or is attempted ...but also caught and cut just as quickly.

So..at least in my mind, I'm satisfied that among the issues ATS does seem to be challenged with just recently, flag pumping from accounts made just for the purpose isn't among them. Of course..I have nothing but my own experience in sites other than this one to base that on...but I'd be shocked beyond words to learn they (Super -> Admin level) don't have AT LEAST as much as I do elsewhere and have in the past regarding a thing like that.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join