It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Miltary Plane Flying Over Tasmania(DC3 Non Miltary sorry)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hey Can Some one ID this plane.

It was a very unusual sight, we don't get military planes flying over here much, haven't seen on arround these neck of the woods for ages...

wonder why this military plane was flying over my own town?

I am checking flight aware can't find the aircraft on that either

flight aware.

edit on 26-4-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It's an old DC-3 or C-47. It's a civil-aircraft not a military one (though the C-47 version was produced prolifically, it is not in service with anyone). If it was wearing insignia, it's probably a warbird owned by someone. It may even still be carrying freight for a liner.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Maybe from this company?
youngatheart.com.au...

or this one:
www.redballoon.com.au...

edit on 26-4-2013 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
DC3 - VH-TMQ
I am silly this one fly's in every so often then goes to Strahan.

Amazing to see DC3's flying about still.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Ah, you added the Flight Aware cap, and it's on there

Good work!
Here she is:
casa-query.funnelback.com...

edit on 26-4-2013 by _Del_ because: Fixed tags

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
reply to post by amraks

Ah, you added the Flight Aware cap, and it's on there

Good work!
Here she is:
casa-query.funnelback.com...

allot of history with that plane, allot of change over hands.

Think this one had a conversion at sometime last time I read about it.

Oh and you may wanna quickly edit your post its screwed up the formatting on this page with open tags.
edit on 26-4-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Thanks, missed that

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
That plane was making flight's between Sydney and Melbourne (maybe canberra) for a few weeks, haven't heard it this week so that explains where it is.

It's a loud beast, you notice it lol.

As i opened this thread i said "i'll bet it's that twin engine grey SOB" and yep.. that's it.

We think it's civilian, getting the flight hours up, seen it do some crazy things though.. obviously getting the mileage out of that thing

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xarian6
That plane was making flight's between Sydney and Melbourne (maybe canberra) for a few weeks, haven't heard it this week so that explains where it is.

It's a loud beast, you notice it lol.

As i opened this thread i said "i'll bet it's that twin engine grey SOB" and yep.. that's it.

We think it's civilian, getting the flight hours up, seen it do some crazy things though.. obviously getting the mileage out of that thing

yeah was quite loud, as I was hearing it I was said to my girlfriend "Aliens are invading" it was making the weirdest noise, went outside Didn't get a good close photo of it.

I was having a conversation about it with my step pop the other day, he said the DC3 is the best ever plane ever made in his own words.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

We used to watch them take off going interisland day in and day out. Then the brand new birds would come in and sit there for five days broken. Great old bird.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
21 March 1945 The aircraft was built at the Douglas Factory in Oklahoma City and Allocated to the United States Army Air Force on this day, with the serial number 44 – 76552. It was originally allocated constructor’s number 16136, But later this was found that this block of numbers had been duplicated with batch of Douglas Havoc Bombers and the constructor’s number was changed to 32884.

06 April 1945 Received at No. 3 Aircraft Depot, Amberley, Queensland, ex the USA and allocated the RAAF serial A65 – 91 and the call sign “VHRFH”

10 April 1945 Issued to No. 38 Squadron, ex 3AD, to maintain courier service.

02 July 1945 Aircraft log shows the machine flew from Archerfield to Mascot on this day.

18 September 1947 Issued at NO. 86 Transport Wing ex 38 Squadron.

03 March 1950 Port engine damage by fire near Kalgoorlie, WA, and engine change at Kalgoorlie.

17 August 1950 Issued to Repair and Salvage Unit at Darwin for operational duties.

21 February 1951 Received at DAP, Parafield, South Australia, from RSU, Darwin

25 June 1951 Transferred from No. 86 Transport Wing to No. 10 Squadron.

23 July 1951 Issued to No. 91 Wing to replace A65 – 96.

15 July 1955 Transferred back to No. 86 Transport Wing from 91 Wing.

12 August 1959 Issued to 34 (S.T.) Squadron for Royal Tour and Used as a baggage carrier for HRH Princess Alexandria’s tour of Australia, August – September 1959.

23 September 1959 Issued to No. 2 Squadron and used for communications duties, attached to the Australian Ambassador, based in Saigon, Vietnam

03 March 1960 Reissued to No. 86 Transport Wing, ex 2 Squadron

1962 Issued to 38 Squadron (a unit within 86 Transport Wing).

30 November 1964 Transferred to East Sale, Victoria.

11 October 1967 Based with No. 2 ATU. Currently 6767 airframe hours.

17 December 1968 At No. 2 Operational Training Unit.

21 April 1969 Issued to No. 1 Flight Training School at Pearce, WA, with call sign “VMJFB”. This call sign later changed to

“VMJRH”.

03 April 1974 Issued to No. 2 Squadron, based at Butterworth, Malaysia.

09 June 1975 Issued to Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU).

October 1976 Aircraft Ferried from Central Flying School, East Sale, Victoria, to be based at Pearce, replacing the former Pearce based machine A65 – 102 which had taken part in the Great Australian Air Race to Sydney that same month, en – route to the east for major overhaul.

10 September 1979 Issued to No. 2 Flight training School at Pearce. Total air frame hours 10033.40 hours.

09 June 1980 To Radio School. Laverton. Victoria for conversion as training aid.

30 June 1980 Flew from East Sale to Laverton at 13028.6 hours total time, and allocated for disposal as per tender document TV500/5/338.

15 January 1986 Sold to Golden West Airways, Queensland

01 December 1987 Sold to Rebel Air, Koomeela, as VH-TMQ

03 December 1987 Arrived at Essendon Airport, ex Laverton still bearing RAAF serial A65-91. Registered to Mezeron Pty Ltd, 84 Bridge Road, Richmond,
Victoria 3121. Aircraft’s last flight for 12 years.

14 March 1988 Painted up with Canadian registration CF-TBA, and used in a ABC television documentary at Essendon Airport.

28 August 1988 Sold to Colbinra Transport of Maitland, NSW 2320. Over the years the aircraft deteriorated at Essendon, so much that the airport
authorities put an order on the aircraft to have it moved off the airport grounds.

02 June 1995 Sold to John G. Love, operating as splitters Creek Airlines, of “Gnalta” RMB 668, Splitters Creek, NSW 2640, and dismantled for transport to Albury. However the dismantled aircraft was never taken to Albury. Civil Register shows change of ownership for VH-TMQ to Splitters Creek Airlines on this date.

01 July 1996 Sold to Windjammer Promotions Melbourne. Trading as Air Nostalgia.

05 September 1996 Civil Register shows change of ownership on this date to Windjammer Promotions, Post Office Box 297B, Melbourne, 3001.

30 November 1999 Restoration to the aircraft now completed, including engine runs. Aircraft now fitted with 28 upgrade seats, belly mounted digitial camera.Seat – back video screens, etc. Rolled out of Essendon hanger on this day.

31 March 2000 Aircraft test flown by Bob Lane and Dave Beck, after 4 years restoration. It was it’s first flight in 12 years. Air Nostalgia’s Managing Director Robert Fisher had wanted to call the aircraft “My Mortgage” but was talked out of it, and a compromise name “Myra” – a play on words for “My Mortgage” was used instead.

2000 - Current Air Nostalgia operated charter and evening flights over

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
source of the post above this.
www.travelcentre.com.au...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
see, where you went wrong was living in Burnie.
It was all downhill from there.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
see, where you went wrong was living in Burnie.
It was all downhill from there.

whats this got to do with the topic?

new topics

top topics

join