It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory about the universe/multiple universes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Im not sure if this is one that is already been discussed in science before (itprobably has) but I havent heard it.

But I was thinking about the obsession of physics of things orbitting other things. From our solar system orbiting the galaxy, to our planet orbiting the sun, right down to electrons orbiting protons. Right across the scale, stuff orbits other stuff. So if you took that bigger, would that not mean our universe could easily be one of many universes orbiting some gigantic SOB in the middle? And from the big SOB in the middle is where our big bang came from.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

Not sure I understand your point here. Our center is a black hole, no? All the solar systems orbit that?
Are parallel universes orbiting ours (and vice versa)? Universe being all solar systems.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

I believe everything is fractal. The same thing repeated, infinitely. But as we see things from our limited perspective, we can only see the details in our reality, which are shades of everything else.

I mean, if we were the scale of an atom, and tried to understand the distance from us to the centre of the sun as it is on this scale, it would be infinitely far away. Yet from this scale, it's easy to see the sun. It takes 8 minutes to see it.

When(if) we understand the higgs field, I think science will change. But now, we're too limited in what we know to know what we don't. And I don't think we'll ever fully understand the mechanics of reality. No more than a painting can understand the canvas, or the light that can shine through it on a bright day.

Reality is simply an appearance. So we're trying to make sense of things that we can only see the outcomes of. We can no more test reality than we can guess the outcome in a came of chance. In a game of heads or tails, we're likely to be right half of the time. But the more complex the 'chance' - or the more we try to test quantum theory - the more we just guess at why there is a difference.

Everything does orbit. And we claim gravity is why. But the wind-sock follows the wind, which is caused by much more than the air around it.

Obviously if you think about it, there are many different galaxies that orbit a centre. And from that, every centre is likely part of an infinite number of other centres that orbit a bigger centre. I don't think there could be a single point that is where it all started. I think we were just not able to consider infinity so we look for absolutes. And that is why theory exists - to allow the infinite possibilities to exist, but not denying the absolutes we currently find work for most of the things we know.

Who knows.. fiddle the maths a little more and invent a new reality. Or simply accept that we'll never know and have another cuppa coffee..

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Im2keul

There is only 1 Solar System.

However, there are many star systems in our galaxy, as-well-as the other galaxies. All of the star systems in the Milky Way orbit the central black hole you mentioned. Zooming out further, our galaxy may orbit another, massive and unknown central point. Just as the moon orbits Earth, Earth orbits the Sun, and our Solar system orbits the galactic center, our galaxy may be joined by many - if not all - other galaxies as it orbits another central point.

If all fundamental material in our universe is based on the 'everything orbits' concept, then our universe, along with a near infinite number of other universes (which would collectively be called a 'multi-verse'), may too orbit a central point.

As mentioned, this would probably be true if reality itself is based upon the fractal design, but that leaves us no closer to understanding where it all started and where it will all end.... Puzzling to think that events beyond our control or understanding could end reality at any given moment, without warning, and no one would ever know - we would simply cease to be.

edit on 25-4-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by Im2keul

Not wnting to argue, but we live in one of many solar systems. Solar systems that make our galaxy, that make the universe. However I do like the rest of your post, and Winofiends input

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Only if there was 3 dimension space outside of our universe.

If there was then there would have to be some kind of wall between our 3 dimensional space and the 3dimensional space outside our universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

ummmm what? Lol, sorry im completely lost now

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Im2keul

No argument from me and I don't mean to seem confrontational, but there is only 1 Solar system, though there are many star systems.

This is so because the proper name of our sun is 'Sol', hence the 'Solar System'

Our Solar System is one of countless other star systems, each of which could also be named after their primary star. Other star systems wouldn't be known as Solar systems, because Sol is our primary star and no one else's.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I didn't get this one OP. No shame or bad comments from me. There are a few websites that will give you more understanding of the nature of physics in a more basic way. Try this one: www.superstringtheory.com...

It's fairly comprehensive and will give you better insight. I'm very much a lay person, but am striving to learn.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
Im not sure if this is one that is already been discussed in science before (itprobably has) but I havent heard it.

But I was thinking about the obsession of physics of things orbitting other things. From our solar system orbiting the galaxy, to our planet orbiting the sun, right down to electrons orbiting protons.
Electrons don't orbit protons, or at least the best minds in physics believe they don't, though our schools may leave people with that idea, so I can understand why you might say that.

We don't even understand the orbits of stars and their associated planets around the central black holes of their galaxies. We try to explain the gap in our understanding with something called "dark matter" but so far its existence has not been proven.

So to me it doesn't make much sense to speculate about explanations of what we can't observe, when we can't even explain what we can observe. Shouldn't we start with what we can observe first?

We don't even know if there are other universes, so you could also speculate about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but really, what good does speculation about either of those do? I don't know if angels or other universes even exist.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by Im2keul

However, there are many star systems in our galaxy, as-well-as the other galaxies. All of the star systems in the Milky Way orbit the central black hole you mentioned. Zooming out further, our galaxy may orbit another, massive and unknown central point. Just as the moon orbits Earth, Earth orbits the Sun, and our Solar system orbits the galactic center, our galaxy may be joined by many - if not all - other galaxies as it orbits another central point.

If all fundamental material in our universe is based on the 'everything orbits' concept, then our universe, along with a near infinite number of other universes (which would collectively be called a 'multi-verse'), may too orbit a central point.

As mentioned, this would probably be true if reality itself is based upon the fractal design, but that leaves us no closer to understanding where it all started and where it will all end.... Puzzling to think that events beyond our control or understanding could end reality at any given moment, without warning, and no one would ever know - we would simply cease to be.

edit on 25-4-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

Only one solar system??

No. A solar system is a star and all celestial bodies ( planets, asteroid belts, etc) that orbit it. True, not all stars have a solar system, but a lot do.

With this logic, there are billion of solar systems.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
No.
There is only one Sol System, and one Solar System. Both are ours, the name merely varies, although I believe Solar System is the official name, while Sol System is the shorthand unofficial. Also, the sun's official name is actually nothing, it's nameless. We refer to it as just lower-case "s" sun, and sometimes upper-case "S", when speaking of our local star. Not a proper or official name of Sun, and not Sol.

As to the system naming, I personally prefer the Sol System over the Solar System. It's pretty much just the difference between, to borrow one from Star Trek, the Cardassia System, and the Cardassian System. They both have the same root (Sol) and they both denote the same place, but one just sounds more polished to me.

As for other systems containing star(s) and planetary bodies, I think it's a coin toss between them being labeled star systems, and planetary systems. Universe Today seems to side with star systems.

Does the sun have a proper name?
What is a Solar System?

top topics

join