It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tinley Park, IL Urban Warfare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
www.google.com... %2Flocal%2Fsuburbs%2Ftinley_park%2Fchi-tinley-park-urban-warfare-exercise-20130424%2C0%2C4056874.story&ei=bTJ4UYqmJIrOqQGb4oDwCw&usg=AFQjCNGPAoCB66r4J Ue1igy27ya8YzIW7Q&sig2=8wQyT6EFLgXoXNQsM1-Wuw&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM

Below is a copy of the link, for those with slower internet speeds.

Now, I'm not sure if this was already posted but if it was, Mods please let me know... I'm on a work comp and the search engine you are using is prohibited by my companies regulated comps.

I live very close to Tinley Park. Like the other side of 159th from my location. The institute they are doing this at is abandoned and no longer in service as well..... I have some pretty scary stories of when it was in use with escape's but that's neither here nore there.

This is a first for me, as nothing like this has ever come this close to home.

I just wanted to notify ATS as most of the time this is followed by something larger on the horizon.

So I guess I'm mainly looking for thoughts on the matter.

Please advise, because I'd be lying if I said I was ok with this even though it's already done. Don't they have training facilities for these types of excersises? Like Military bases with mock buildings?

Just a little scary no? And i'm not worried about the local cops using the facility, it's the fact that it's a gov't ran training excersice.

A Department of Defense training exercise that included explosions heard miles away scared some southwest suburban residents late Tuesday and early this morning.

Residents said they heard “bomb” noises from about 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tinley Park police received about 25 calls from residents who were either fearful or angry, especially in the wake of the bombings in Boston last week.

The urban warfare training at the former Tinley Park Mental Health Center was expected to use small explosives to blow doors off hinges, local authorities said. A second training exercise at the former mental health center is planned for tonight, this time with helicopters, police said.

>

Jack Nugent, 29, heard the first explosion while watching television with his girlfriend from his Frankfort Square home about 3 miles away. He thought it was a fireworks show at first and the noise caused his two English bulldogs to start barking and running around his living room, he said.

“People usually have the common courtesy not to do this during the week,” Nugent said.

Erin Lonergan, 25, lives about a mile from the training site. She heard the explosions while watching a movie with her family.

“They were happening every 15 minutes or so,” Lonergan told the Tribune. “They were quite loud.”

Lonergan said she was scared because of the time of night and the bombings at the Boston Marathon last week.

“I don’t think this is the time or place to be doing these exercises, especially in the wake of everything that’s gone on in Boston,” Lonergan said. “No need to scare anyone.”

Others took to Twitter to vent. One high school student questioned why law enforcement can “blow (expletive) up at 11 at night in the middle of the week during ACTs but it’s illegal for me to have firecrackers on the 4th?”

Local police were not involved with the training, said Emergency Management Agency Director Pat Carr, who apologized that the exercise kept some people awake. He said the calls they received were minimal compared to the number received during a fireworks display.

“We receive over 100 calls during a Fourth of July night, and that is with no notification. We are happy with the results from last night,” Carr said in an email.

The village alerted local media to the planned training exercise last week and posted information on its website.

“Unfortunately, emergencies or incidents don’t happen at ideal times which is why the military and first responders train to respond to anyplace or anytime, rain or shine,” Carr said.

The former mental health center has been used for training for the last two years by a variety of local law enforcement agencies and federal departments, including state police, Cook County sheriff, Chicago police and the FBI.

Weird? I'm just looking for some input. Please and Thank you~

sulaw

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I botched the link here you go~

Tinley Park IL, Urban Warefare Excercise

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Don't forget and not to UFO derail,
But Tinley Park is famous for weird gov. happenings.
Like mile wide triangular "UFO's" wreaking havoc .
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Yea it does have those events as well. And no derail offense taken as I know the stories your talking about.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

What I learned from her reply is that evaluation is made by the number of responses in writng they receive. You didn't say whether you wrote a complaint or not. Perhaps more of us need to make our voices heard instead of inwardly growling.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Ah yes. I did complain not only to the City Hall of Tinley Park but Orland Park and Oak Forest City halls as well, on why they are allowing the excercise to take place.

Ultimately, I felt ignored and no response that was given helped settle that unnerving feeling I have.

But they did note my concerns!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Wow I'm right here in Orland park I'm gonna investigate this them check back in later, but I wanted to leave a comment so its easy for me to find this thread again

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ok one of my coworkers lives in tinley park and for people who are well informed in local politics like my coworker, he says that residents were made aware of this.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

Gotcha, I must have missed that announcement. Nice to know I have a neighbor ATSer's in my location as well

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, I guess that explains the boarded-over doors and windows on the circular building just off Harlem. I pass by there every 2 weeks or so and when I passed by this morning it was all boarded up with particle board. I was curious about that. Good catch, I never heard anything about this.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Local police were not involved with the training, said Emergency Management Agency Director Pat Carr, who apologized that the exercise kept some people awake. He said the calls they received were minimal compared to the number received during a fireworks display.

“We receive over 100 calls during a Fourth of July night, and that is with no notification. We are happy with the results from last night,” Carr said in an email.

I find this a very curious answer along with the neighbor involved in local politics saying that notices were sent out.

Pat Carr says calls were minimal. EVERYONE knows 4th of July, fireworks go boom, yet their 'notification' was sufficient to minimize calls when gunfire, bombs, etc. are going off, simulated or not. Funny.

I can easily imagine that a local tied into the political scene would know and talk to friends about the exercise, mainly because it is something pretty interesting to talk about. I'm not so sure about the notifications sent out, though. Whether it was online, if you cared to look it up... LOL, or if there was a mailing, which I doubt because that takes time and money.

OP, you said you didn't have any idea of any kind of training exercise. I mean if it were my town of like 40,000 some people, we would receive some kind of BS notice that we should have figured out by ourselves by using established links like FB or signing up for 'official notifications' from the city or county website. They don't mind ruining my television programming by including an Emergency Broadcast Transmission, which if it were an actual emergency you would be prompted to panic by the proper authorities.

To me I don't think it would be that big a deal, but still it sucks that so much can go on that actually intrudes on your own personal enjoyment level, and you are pretty much told to move along, nothing to see here. I guess it could be worse...

Anyway, I appreciate the post. I hope nobody gets abducted by ufos round there.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Just another day...Just another urban military training exercise! Oh well. Welcome to Obama's America

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wow. I live around 183 and gov. highway. I had no idea that's what was going on. Im a night owl so I'm usualy up and about in the middle of the night. I guess this is going to be a regular thing there.

top topics

join