It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did respect go?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

I meant it as so many people on here think they are geniuses and if they were instead of writing on here wouldn't they be trying to get papers published or in high level stuff.

I agree with you that manners and decorum are critical to us growing as a species, and we need to listen to each other with as open a mind as we can manage.

However, attacking an IDEA is not the same as attacking the ATS member and insulting them. Exposing the flaws of sources that people use to form their worldview is appropriate.

As to your question above - some of us HAVE written and published 'papers' - even entire books - based on years and years of research. Perhaps we are here now, instead, to reach the people who would NEVER see those papers or books. This is as viable a venue as any peer-reviewed journal. How many people on here, do you think, read those journals, or buy those books? Not many. So if the message is to reach them, it has to meet them where they are - which is HERE.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer777

Originally posted by spyder550
Sometimes opinions and ideas are just plain stupid. There is no reason to show respect to stupidity. You have the absolute undeniable right to wear a silly hat - I have the right to point and make fun of that decision. Generally it will shake out that one or the other of us is an ass.

See that is the way of thinking we need to stray away from, but nonetheless I respect you

I think you are conflating ad hominum attacks with flat out refutation of an idea. The problem here as I see it is that there are plenty of ideas presented without much thought or research. It is easy to just spout, those thoughts are generally usless, particularly when a minute on the google trashes the whole concept. Why do those opinions or ideas deserve respect? Respect -- real respect is earned not assumed.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer777

Sometimes opinions and ideas are just plain stupid. There is no reason to show respect to stupidity. You have the absolute undeniable right to wear a silly hat - I have the right to point and make fun of that decision. Generally it will shake out that one or the other of us is an ass.

See that is the way of thinking we need to stray away from, but nonetheless I respect you

I think you are conflating ad hominum attacks with flat out refutation of an idea. The problem here as I see it is that there are plenty of ideas presented without much thought or research. It is easy to just spout, those thoughts are generally usless, particularly when a minute on the google trashes the whole concept. Why do those opinions or ideas deserve respect? Respect -- real respect is earned not assumed.

EVERYONE has EARNED respect by living. We were all given life and with that we should all get respect. Now to lose respect for someone is one thing. But YOU do not know the person. By not giving someone respect is to ASSUME they do not deserve it. So there's a flaw in your argument. Yes it is one thing to tell someone in a respectful way that they are wrong, but we are all still brothers and sisters on this marble. So why trash someone when one day you could have to rely on them to have your back one day. You could have googled grammar before writing your post, but I am not going to trash you because the post is hard to read. Everyone deserves respect when you first meet

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yes that is true there are a lot of published writers here, but from what I've seen the one's that are published ARE respectful. No matter what a person's position is it doesn't make them better or less. We are all human and we all deserve respect. My thing is the more we all work together and get passed this God complex so many of us have, the sooner we'll start seeing change. Especially here in this community. This community could do so much great if we would all just get along and stop being so rude. See like right now we are throwing thoughts back n forth. I don't know about you, but when I read something that's written in a calm manner you tell the difference than when someone is writing out of anger. The end result is we move backwards rather than forward.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
There are some that show no respect for other because they have none for themselves. It's sad but that today's world.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

See like right now we are throwing thoughts back n forth. I don't know about you, but when I read something that's written in a calm manner you tell the difference than when someone is writing out of anger. The end result is we move backwards rather than forward.

Yep! Me, too. I see it.

We don't have to like each other's opinions, but we should be respectful of them and not just launch attacks. Everyone has a story to tell, and everyone is doing their best to figure out the world. We need to LISTEN, and to validate each other, as in "I hear what you're saying".

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Very well said.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Depends on the belief, and how their belief is presented.

Example; If someone is ranting about how we Americans should surrender our guns, and Piers Morgan is right, and we should be gunless and controlled like England, I am probably not going to present my argument very respectfully. And, its not because I don't respect the other person.

That's not it at all.

Its the BELIEF that I don't respect.

Its the way their belief is presented that I don't respect, really.

What right does someone from another country have to tell US how to run OUR country?

Same goes for some of the hateful Atheists I know. If you don't believe in God, that's wonderful. For YOU.

But because someone else references God doesn't mean you can jump on their case, and ridicule them for their spiritual beliefs. ESPECIALLY when Atheists often make the claim that Christians are guilty of negatively forcing their beliefs on others.

If you hate Christians for forcing their beliefs on others (which is a negative stereotype), why is it okay for YOU to do the same thing with your Atheistic beliefs? Only with added name-calling and spite.

I apologize if my description of Atheists seems a little bias. Most of the Atheists I know are extremely hateful, and extremely arrogant, and I really can not stand them. If you're an Atheist, I don't hate you--just like any other human being alive, you have to give me a REASON to hate you.

Otherwise, you're just another person to me.

Its all about politeness, and the way the beliefs are presented, or, more commonly, forced on others.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I can understand your standpoint and I must say that this thread has changed my perspective on respecting opinion, but I will still always respect a person unless I have a previous reason not to. And I am a born again Christian and will always tell anyone, even if they don't ask.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join