It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev charged with using ‘weapon of mass destruction’ (Kid has been charged!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
So the Feds are going with terrorism charges and not first degree murder. I think this will have huge legal ramifications. I will have to look up the legalese of prosecuting such charges as I am not familiar.
WaPo article

Federal prosecutors announced terrorism charges against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing with terrorism on Monday, outlining a chilling plot in which the man and his brother allegedly used low-grade but deadly explosives timed to detonate a block apart.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

There’s no need for debate about whether the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect should have instead been treated as an enemy combatant. President Obama made the right decision in committing to try Dzhokhar in a U.S. federal court. Federal courts have completed nearly 500 cases related to international terrorism since 9/11. Of those, 67 cases have involved individuals captured overseas, according to Department of Justice data obtained by Human Rights First in a Freedom of Information Act request.

link

I am rounding up all the info I can on these charges and how they are defended.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators his older brother Tamerlan was the driving force behind last week's attack and that no international terrorist groups were behind them, a U.S. government source said Monday.

I figured it was mostly his brother's plan.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

II. Terror Prosecutions Nationwide

Nationwide, the Justice Department and its U.S. Attorney’s offices have prosecuted many terrorism cases in recent months and years . Last year, Human Rights First published a comprehensive study on prosecuting terrorism in federal court from 9/11 through the end of 2007. The study, entitled: "In Pursuit of Justice: Prosecuting Terrorism Cases in the Federal Court," found that federal prosecutors achieved a conviction rate of more than 90 percent in the set of terrorism cases examined by the report’s authors. The study examined a specific set of 257 defendants charged with terrorism related violations in the United States between 9/11 and the end of 2007. Of the 160 defendants from this group who had their cases resolved, 145 were convicted of at least one count, either by a verdict of guilty after trial or by a guilty plea.

From .gov

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This 19 year old is no "kid". The "kid" involved was the 10 year old this 19 year old killed. Please no sympathy for the adult male who murdered people and planned on repeating the action.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I agree...the use of "kid" in the title is distracting. He was no "kid". As to the charges, yes the prosecution of them will be a lot different than that of murder.

new topics

top topics

join