posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
This just keeps getting crazier and crazier...
Conference being held at 3:30PM EST with more info.
Canadian police and intelligence agencies will announce later today they have thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack, arresting two
suspects in Montreal and Toronto, CBC News has learned.
Highly placed sources tell CBC News the alleged plotters have been under surveillance for more than a year in Quebec and southern Ontario.
The two men are expected to appear in court tomorrow.
RCMP are holding a LIVE update on the plot investigation at 3:30 p.m. ET
The investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland
The arrests Monday morning were co-ordinated and executed by a special joint task force of RCMP and CSIS anti-terrorism units, combined with
provincial and municipal police forces in Ontario and Quebec.
The RCMP are expected to hold a press conference Monday afternoon to announce the arrests and provide details of the alleged plot, and give an
overview of the extensive police and intelligence operation.
Law enforcement officials say the terror suspects arrested today have no connection to the two brothers accused of last week's Boston Marathon
They also say there is no tie to the former London, Ont., high school friends who joined al-Qaeda and died earlier this year while helping to stage a
bloody attack on an Algerian gas refinery.
Some updates/key-notes from the conference:
- They were planning to derail a VIA Rail train
- They've been following the individuals for a year, received warrants to arrest them recently (didn't state when they were arrested)
- Were receiving help/guidance from al-Qaeda elements in Iran
- They wouldn't comment on what the route it was exactly, but it was a train in the Greater Toronto Area (the newscaster said from Toronto to New York
- They wouldn't comment on what was recovered
- There's still an ongoing investigation underway, so information was very limited; they said they would release more information as soon as they
edit on 22-4-2013 by fusse because: (no reason given)