It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dangerously high pesticide levels' found in Celestial Seasonings teas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I didn't want to put this in the food forum because I need you all to read this..

This really ticks me off as I have been drinking this brand for quite a while now..

Damn, are they ALL liars anymore?

A scathing new report on Celestial Seasonings teas and parent company Hain Celestial, shows 91% of the samples of Celestial Seasonings teas tested contained pesticides in levels that exceed U.S Federal limits. High pesticides in 91% of samples 10 out of 11 varieties of Celestial Seasonings teas, one of the largest specialty tea manufacturers in North America, were found to contain excess pesticides including Antioxidant Max Blood Orange and Sleepytime Kids Goodnight Grape. From great beginnings... Started in 1969, Celestial Seasonings was "founded on the belief that all-natural herbal teas could help people live healthier lives." However, the tests conducted by EuroFins, a leading independent analytic testing company, determined that many varieties of Celestial Seasonings teas contained potentially dangerous levels of multiple pesticides.

www.examiner.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Wow I used to drink this stuff and thought it was awesome... NEVER AGAIN!!

Thanks

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I don't think we can trust anything anymore. Like Tom's of Maine natural added fluoride and more after it was sold and i didn't notice for a long time.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

Yea, I just went through and checked..

I had 5 of their brand so I tossed them all..

I'm going to do some research to see what Tea is safe these days.....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Red Zinger was my favorite tea...not anymore

Scary

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Good thread

I drink a lot of tea but not this brand thank goodness.

I sourced another article on this and found

Teavana's tea is also high in pesticides and toxins

Teavana is a company that sells loose tea for top price. It has also long claimed to be "pesticide-free," or organic or "European organic." The Teavana tea that I have sampled also tastes great

The lab results for this company were not great, unfortunately. The tea was tested by an independent lab and 100 percent of it was found to contain pesticides. One tea, Monkey Picked Oolong, contained 23 pesticides. Strike one.

Source

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I used to love the Earl Grey and the sleepytime(?) blend in the States.. and foreign locals treat this brand like ambrosia as an import into other countries I've lived in

We need to wake up that due to the advent of Monsanto (that is GM the plants so that they do not die, but absorb and flourish in pesticide deposited throughout their cells)..

Who would have thought that we ALREADY need to resort to Survival gardening and grow our own food in order to avoid being poisoned already? Stark reality of the American Codex Alimentarius.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Its never occurred to me to consider tea has pesticides. I think about fruit and vegetables but not tea. What about coffee and spices?
ETA
Apparently there is concern with spices having pesticides
I can't get this Link to load if anyone is interesting in having a look at it to see

Thanks
edit on 20-4-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I hope coffee is pretty safe cause I drink A LOT of it.

--------c(_) *sip*

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

That's so weird, I used to have Toms with fluoride free and then went a couple months later and not one on shelf at 3 different super markets had the fluoride free version.
I switched to Jason, which is free of that junk and is made form sea algae.. Pretty nice stuff, or you can find online recipes for homemade toothpaste too which my hippy boyfriend is all over.

as for the article, baddmove, I am so disappointed. Look what I found on their page for the "values"

For more than 40 years, we've made all-natural teas that are good for our people and good for our planet. The philosophy of doing business in ways that are both people-friendly and planet-friendly is known as corporate social responsibility, and it is at the very core of the Celestial Seasonings story. We’ve always made doing business the right way a priority – from our humble beginnings in a Boulder barn to today serving more than 1.6 billion cups of tea per year.

Sickening

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
My husband drinks celestial seasonings, specially the sleepy time tea, I am very taken by this, celestials is very popular and this will be bad news for the consumers.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

BEWARE of anything coming from the contaminated seas!!! Algae the aquatic, natural FILTER...
edit on 20-4-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
My husband drinks celestial seasonings, specially the sleepy time tea, I am very taken by this, celestials is very popular and this will be bad news for the consumers.

I feel like dirt, I gave everyone a big set of the tea in fancy containers with cups for X-mas. now I need to tell them dump what is left!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I started peroxide/baking soda works well but a hassle compared to a tube.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I too am just sickened by this terrible news. I am PISSED, I offer this to friends, family and especially my Children on a daily basis!!! I want a refund at least on all of the varieties I have in my kitchen right now. Screw throwing it away, we as consumers need to hit them where they seem to be most centered...$$$$

If everyone that has these products in their cabinets ban together and insist on refunds, it will break their greedy bank!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I know, I read the whole article and I am still Ticked about it..

I sure hope they don't do this to coffee....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm not saying it's not true, but I'd be skeptical of the motivations of the firm that carried out this research...

Glaucus Research is an investment firm that specializes in short selling. Short selling is betting money that a stock price will go down.

I'd wait for an unbiased report before kicking the tea to the curb.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have boxes of it, in my pantry, from the my husband favorite to the ones I took for calming effects and as I look at the boxes I have actually have like ten of them.

I can not wait to tell my daughter and my husband about this teas.

My daughter gave me a Keurig for Christmas and it came with boxes of the littler cups of celestial teas.

This is bad

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Here is a quote from the article of who did the testing..

However, the tests conducted by EuroFins, a leading independent analytic testing company, determined that many varieties of Celestial Seasonings teas contained potentially dangerous levels of multiple pesticides.

Here is their website....

www.eurofins.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So, Glaucus, who holds a short position with Hain, funded a very small amount of testing with an independent lab that was done sometime in 2012? I wonder why the FDA hasn't stepped in and/or no other testing was done since then.

Again, not saying it's false, but I do wonder if the report is a bit overblown. It looks to me like they are challenging the "100% natural" statement of the brand, rather than it being unhealthy. The intent of the report seems to be about the valuation of the company. rather than the protection of consumers.

Here's their report...

Glaucus Report

The results are apparently cut and pasted from the lab report and they do not point out which specific test results failed. For that, you'd have to look up each one and cross reference to this site, which would only take a day or two.

All they show you is...

Based on the results of the testing, the concentration of one or more of the compounds targeted for analysis in the sample exceeds the US MRL’s as stated in 40CFR180

Why hide the details?
Why not link the full lab report?

Dump your tea if you want , but that decision is likely based on biased nonsense.

edit on 20-4-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join