It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA live: Astronomers discover Earth-like planets believed to have oceans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Two water worlds, planets apparently covered completely by oceans, are within their star's "habitable zone" and represent the most exciting discovery yet by the planet-hunting Kepler telescope, NASA announced Thursday

They say there may be life but any life would be underwater life and the planets would be beautiful blue worlds orbiting an orange star exciting
nasa live video at the link
www.dailybulletin.com...

These planets are unlike anything in our solar system. They have endless oceans," said lead author Lisa Kaltenegger of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy and the CfA. "There may be life there, but could it be technology-based like ours? Life on these worlds would be under water with no easy access to metals, to electricity, or fire for metallurgy. Nonetheless, these worlds will still be beautiful blue planets circling an orange star -- and maybe life's inventiveness to get
[

eta
cnn is saying 3 planets

3 new planets could host life

www.cnn.com...

Scientists announced Thursday the discovery of three planets that are some of the best candidates so far for habitable worlds outside our own solar system -- and they're very far away.

NASA's Kepler satellite, which is keeping an eye on more than 150,000 stars in hopes of identifying Earth-like planets, found the trio.

Two of the planets -- Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f -- are described in a study released Thursday in the journal, Science. They are part of a five-planet system in which the candidates for life are the farthest from the host star.

The host star -- the equivalent of Earth's sun -- takes the name Kepler-62, where the individual planets are designated by letters thereafter.

edit on 18-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Wow you have a lot to say about this topic.....Pretty interesting

ETA: No I understand, ATS is having issues with that today. I was only saying that because you have an off topic post and nothing else.
edit on 4/18/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by goou111

I had written out a nice response 4 times and kept timing out when I would post it so Im still working on it but thanks

link   
reply to post by goou111

I dont need nasa to tell me there may be life out there. I already know that and havent had any alien encounters, its easy, i think for myself.

link   

reply to post by goou111

seems you have alot to say as well huh

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
everytime I take more than 2 minuts to write something I get timed out wtf

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Yeah I've been having that with Chrome ... Firefox Is OK though .

On topic .
Great find and exiting news

Any mention of distance ?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

reply to post by goou111

seems you have alot to say as well huh

Yeah since this is MY thread and all......

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

sry ... just irritated that every time I would post it I would get timed out

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Yeah I've been having that with Chrome ... Firefox Is OK though .

On topic .
Great find and exiting news

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

NASA's Kepler planet-hunting probe has identified two potentially habitable planets only a little bigger than Earth, circling a star that's 1,200 light-years from Earth

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Its the message not the length of the message that matters here , this is good news , celebrate that

reply to post by goou111

Circling a star that's 1,200 light-years from Earth

In the scale of things not that far then ... Cool

edit on 18-4-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

blah blah blah go troll another thread

That's an excellent deflection from putting an ounce of effort into a thread.......Thanks, I needed something to go away, now I will.......

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Right when I turned on the stream I "think" I heard 2k light yrs. Don't quote me on that, though.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Its the message not the length of the message that matters here , this is good news , celebrate that

I will, only because you said to my buddy Gortex!! I hate the troll comment from the OP......So I read it and now I leave.....I don't like 0 effort into a thread from a member who has been around a while....I especially don't like the troll comment to someone who contributes here constantly!
edit on 4/18/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Finally. Some good and exciting news.

Hurray!

Cirque

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Fantastic thread, not so fantastic responses.

I'd like to think that there's life on all of these planets, just different variations at different stages of evolution. There just has to be a solar system like that, I would like to think the odds are with me on that one, considering how much is out there. Would be awesome for research.

S&F's

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So the first alien we encounter will be a whale.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is fantastic news! The more of these worlds we find, the better we can become at pinpointing likely areas for signs of life as we recognize it.
Another poster mentioned that the verification of NASA wouldn't be necessary to confirm what they (personally) already know...And that's a great thought, but the simple verification of life elsewhere isn't the only thing NASA is trying to accomplish here.
The modes and methods that are being developed by these scientists will be the foundations of the ways that future generations either travel to, or communicate with, these distant locations.
Additionally, the detection of "life," should it ever happen in our lifetimes, is about much more than saying, "Hey fellas, I found it!" It's about understand what KIND of life might exist out there. One thing is a sure bet: The universe is so diverse that whatever life is out there probably doesn't resemble they way life evolved here on earth.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
So the first alien we encounter will be a whale.

Or it could be Cthulhu!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join