It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA live: Astronomers discover Earth-like planets believed to have oceans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
That's some fascinating stuff.

I've seen the real pics of these kinds of planets there little dots hidden in the star.
Scientists have a better imagination than I.

I'll just be happy to be alive to see the first attempt at interstellar travel.

Very cool find. It is what's in the thread not how you present it that matters most.
Some of the people on here are just plain jerks.

S&F

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Many thanks for a wonderful post. fascinating ! Some thought provoking interesting news, rather than the usual doom and gloom !

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Forget about sending people to Mars...how about finding ways to send people into outer space to observe these water planets! That's what aliens do

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAConsumer
reply to post by goou111

I dont need nasa to tell me there may be life out there. I already know that and havent had any alien encounters, its easy, i think for myself.

Maybe so but you have not gathered 100 percent photographic/physical evidence yourself to back up your "i know better than you" claims.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
"Believed"..."We think..." !!!

The truth is they have no idea really. It's all guess work and 'hope' that it was the case because if they could find one it would support big bang evolution theories.

The trouble is they are thinking evolution in the terms of life as we know it, they way we see it and experience it so they look for planets like ours that support life they way ours does,

How dumb is that for a group of scientists !!!!.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
So the first alien we encounter will be a whale.

No Whales, they are localized to our planet only however there would be amphibious organisms.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
"Believed"..."We think..." !!!

The truth is they have no idea really. It's all guess work and 'hope' that it was the case because if they could find one it would support big bang evolution theories.

The trouble is they are thinking evolution in the terms of life as we know it, they way we see it and experience it so they look for planets like ours that support life they way ours does,

How dumb is that for a group of scientists !!!!.

About as dumb as you suggesting that they look for something else that would be completely unknown to us that we would not understand and not even know what we were looking at.

We know about life here on Earth. Looking for life that is under the same conditions is not stupid because we know what to look for.

Until we find something that is "life" that is completely different from what we have here, we wouldn't even know where to begin.

For example, if we found "life" on say Saturn's moon Titan, THEN we would have something that is different from life here on Earth and would have something else to go on.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by gortex

everytime I take more than 2 minuts to write something I get timed out wtf

Yeah I've been having that with Chrome ... Firefox Is OK though .

On topic .
Great find and exiting news

Any mention of distance ?

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

NASA's Kepler planet-hunting probe has identified two potentially habitable planets only a little bigger than Earth, circling a star that's 1,200 light-years from Earth

Tau Ceti Star System is much closer. It's only 11.9 Light Years away.

It's in the Cetes Constellation.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Did you know that when a sun like ours is finished it won't collapse into a black hole but rather into a white dwarf.

A white dwarf is comprised of carbon and oxygen both of which the human body is made of and would not be if we didn't have a sun that eventually became a ball of carbon and oxygen.

blackholes.stardate.org...

The closest white dwarf to Earth is only 8.6 light years away.

www.spaceref.com...

What this means is that Earth could have received the carbon and oxygen life needed from this white dwarf while our sun fueled other processes that created life on planet Earth.

When looking for a planet that has life on it I would suggest NASA look for White Dwarfs and then start their search from the White Dwarf progressing from one light year out to 20 light years. Within this search pattern there should be Earth like planets orbiting a Sun similar to the Sun that Earth orbits.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dryson

Alpha Centauri has a G2V Star just like ours.

Only 4.4 Light Years from Earth

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Forget about sending people to Mars...how about finding ways to send people into outer space to observe these water planets! That's what aliens do

That's what they are already doing through Secret Black Space Projects. Also, shadow probes and Rovers have traveled even further and already have found signs of life.

The deciders just like to tease the sheople every now and then cause they can't help themselves. They seem to really be increasing their reports of new discoveries lately I have noticed.

All this technology, IPhones, IPads ect have been handed down to us by Higher Primates, yes Primates, and slowly released to the cattle for mostly profit driven reasons that continue to fund these Top Secret Space programs.

It's a great time to be alive, even if we can't enjoy the human races true accomplishments in the Universe at the moment. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Believed to have oceans...????

They don't really know do they !!!

So based on this they'll soon be teaching in schools that life exists on other planets. You know, like Darwin's theory of evolution has somehow become fact when it's still a theory?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Astronomers said Thursday that they had found the most Earth-like worlds yet known in the outer cosmos, a pair of planets that appear capable of supporting life and that orbit a star 1,200 light-years from here, in the northern constellation Lyra.

[Astronomers] took the first stab at trying to model conditions on the Kepler 62 planets. That is a tough job because the system is too far away for astronomers to measure the masses of these planets, which would allow the densities and compositions of the planets to be pinned down, or to inspect and analyze their atmospheres with telescopes.

Source

Kepler itself is not deigned for and is incapable of analyzing exoplanet atmospheres. In order to do so light from the planet itself must be separated from that of the host star this process is extremely complicated and only now becoming possible witch a few advanced, specialized telescopes
edit on 4/19/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Stop being a diva!
Nice post! Thank you

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Knowing there could be planets like ours REALLY makes me want to get the hell off this one. Imagine everyone, a place of peace with no wars or deception. A place that we could truly call paradise, a home. This is just a few of what we know and there could be many more.

Our creator truly love us if he has all of this for us to enjoy. Now only if we could make contact with some life forms that would be awesome.

edit on 20-4-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Here's the video....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
saying I dont know how to swim is a no no in those planets..they might get offended

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Two water worlds, planets apparently covered completely by oceans, are within their star's "habitable zone" and represent the most exciting discovery yet by the planet-hunting Kepler telescope, NASA announced Thursday

They say there may be life but any life would be underwater life and the planets would be beautiful blue worlds orbiting an orange star exciting
nasa live video at the link
www.dailybulletin.com...

These planets are unlike anything in our solar system. They have endless oceans," said lead author Lisa Kaltenegger of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy and the CfA. "There may be life there, but could it be technology-based like ours? Life on these worlds would be under water with no easy access to metals, to electricity, or fire for metallurgy. Nonetheless, these worlds will still be beautiful blue planets circling an orange star -- and maybe life's inventiveness to get
[

eta
cnn is saying 3 planets

3 new planets could host life

www.cnn.com...

Scientists announced Thursday the discovery of three planets that are some of the best candidates so far for habitable worlds outside our own solar system -- and they're very far away.

NASA's Kepler satellite, which is keeping an eye on more than 150,000 stars in hopes of identifying Earth-like planets, found the trio.

Two of the planets -- Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f -- are described in a study released Thursday in the journal, Science. They are part of a five-planet system in which the candidates for life are the farthest from the host star.

The host star -- the equivalent of Earth's sun -- takes the name Kepler-62, where the individual planets are designated by letters thereafter.

edit on 18-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

you'll notice that "the potential for water MUST be taken with a grain of salt", so says the astronomer lady kaltenegger.
and it MIGHT be cloudier than earth (astrophysics dept); birds MAY have evolved there; there MAY be life there.
the planet in question is presumed to be there by detecting miniscule dips in starlight. that is all.

all else is speculation and hardly scientific. it reminds me of shakespeares play-"much ado about nothing"

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

you'll notice that "the potential for water MUST be taken with a grain of salt", so says the astronomer lady kaltenegger.

I think you mean Lisa Kaltenegger , It seems to me watching this video that she too is exited by this discovery .

edit on 20-4-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

It is exciting to find a rocky planet with a year similiar to our own. Most of the planets like Earth discovered to date are orbiting so near their star it is hard to imagine them being very hospitable. The way Kepler is designed the longer the potential planets orbit the more time it needs to discover and confirm the planet this is why we are just now starting to see more Earth like planets reported.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join