It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The youth will never have a voice in America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well, unfortunately, it looks like Bush won. The greater of two evils has prevailed, war more years, I mean four more years. The most upsetting development was the complete lack of my fellow youth voters, too busy to vote it seems, doing what I have no idea. What is more important than the future of our country? I don't know if it was because America is so scared they don't care what kind of leader we have as long as he is a "wartime" president, it could probably be Hitler for all these frightened little creatures care. Or maybe it was the "moral" vote, those who have lives so meaningless they must dwell on the lives of others. Either way, one thing is for sure here, the youth will have (and rightfully so) no say in any future political issues. What politician would waste their time even listening to a demographic that is so irresponsible and flaky? Policy will continue to be dictated by those far too old to fight in war, and the young apathetic citizens will continue to fight and die for corporate agendas. It's a dark day for the U.S. and the world.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yup you blew it. Not since the storied 60's has the 20-something generation had the opportunity to turn the tide of history. And the saddest thing is, the issues at-hand are going to affect them most acutely. It will be the 20-somethings who try to deal with joblessness, a faltering economy, unavailable health insurance, higher taxes and, lest we forget, getting loaded on buses to drive off to yet another war. What a shame.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by jtma508]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i feel ya man,
im in my mid twenties,
i see thru the whole damn election process
(the constitution explains the presidential election is NOT determined by its citizens)

AND I STILL VOTED!!!

JUST SO THAT I COULD AT LEAST SAY I GAVE IT ONE LAST SHOT...

but most of my peers (young americans) who love to have opinions and beliefs based in this bull# phony democracy didnt even get off their ass to change the # they believe in!

Those who are apathetic to the point where they dont get off their asses for 2 hours to defend / change what they believe - well... they ALMOST deserve to learn lessons the hard way, which will be soon, i believe.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A youth voter voice in America? Are you insane!

Just shutup and accept the ill fate, devistated enviroment we hand to you..

Ya got that!

Beer anyone?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You're wrong...

the youth will always have a voice.... it weather or not they choose to use it!

you even stated this in your thread... " they were too busy".. etc...

That's what is great about America, we have a choice, however we must act.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yeah, they always had a voice...they just chose not to use it.

But I have faith in them, and never is a very long time.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well i'm watching cspan and nader is talking about corporate america and how we haven't set high enough standards or refined them enough.

A child who is 15 mowed all the lawns he could and sent nader $100 because he believed in him.

It seems to me that our youth care a hell of a lot more about our republic then the people who just voted yesterday do. The only way this republic can survive is if our youth revolutionize the political arena, and they will...

They are smarter then the 150 million people who voted r and d yesterday....

They will relegate this two party system into the piss of history. -Nader

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Never is a long time, but I think the our collective behavior will not change. The youth are far too consumed by their own trivial desires to give ANY time to the real world, it has ALWAYS been that way, and will continue IMO. I have little to no more faith. If any time was right to act, it was this time. Did anybody else see Joe Scarborough on MSNBC gloating with a smug look on his face that he was right about the youth and that we will leave you at the alter everytime? It sucks that he was right. At least I only had to wait 20 minutes to vote, but I would have waited as long as it took, but my peers were too busy gossiping and watching TV, or partying, but there's nothing to celebrate. Reality will smack them in the face when Bush starts another war with his free pass, and they're draft number comes up, no more partying and gossip then. I'm 28 with a chld so I will not be drafted, but I will hate to see so many more young people die.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
It seems to me that our youth care a hell of a lot more about our republic then the people who just voted yesterday do. The only way this republic can survive is if our youth revolutionize the political arena, and they will...

They are smarter then the 150 million people who voted r and d yesterday....

They will relegate this two party system into the piss of history. -Nader

How do you figure that? Only 17% of registered youth voted, for R or D or third party. Which, by the way, I voted LP for every local office they were running for.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The wheel always turns because the future cannot be bought.

It might look bleak but things will change, it's happened before and it will happen again.

Chin up folks.....at the very least these ba**ards will not live forever!

[edit on 3-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Okay.

It's times like these when I want to sit back and listen to some of my favorite pennywise songs.

I don't know why I'm the only one, but I feel like that Native American, who sheds a single tear, when he sees what his country has become.

Helpless. That's how I feel right now.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The youth in America are spoilt, uneducated brats.

They have no respect for their parents, teachers or authority. This is not the childrens fault, but the parents.

Reading books and learning from television is not the solution, yet this is what is happening.

YOU, parents, wake up and take control.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
shut up you little baby and leave these things up to the adults.
Take your sick little mind to Bin laden and weve rugs...and yes your momma wears a berka!

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hal, who was that aimed at?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You are wrong the young voters did show up at the polls and they did voted for Kerry in majority I have to first voters at home and their friends voted too.

Its just that their candidated did not win, my worries are that they will lose faith in the nations election system, and turn their back next elections.

[edit on 123030p://333 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjamison
Hal, who was that aimed at?

I don't think HAL knows, by the warns it seems this poster is just an antagonist aiming to get a rise from everybody, not worthy of any second thought.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
1 in 10 registered voters between the ages of 18 to 24 voted. That is just pathetic.

The youth DID come out, but barely ended up voting.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjamison
The youth in America are spoilt, uneducated brats.

They have no respect for their parents, teachers or authority. This is not the childrens fault, but the parents.

Reading books and learning from television is not the solution, yet this is what is happening.

YOU, parents, wake up and take control.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but...

Reading more books IMO is a good thing for America's youth, which is a dying trend in our nation.

"But Mom! i'll just download the double disc compilation on dvd that features bonus materials directed by Steven Spielberg and comes with free cupons towards microwavable pizza pockets"

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You are wrong the young voters did show up at the polls and they did voted for Kerry in majority I have to first voters at home and their friends voted too.

Its just that their candidated did not win, my worries are that they will lose faith in the nations election system, and turn their back next elections.

[edit on 123030p://333 by marg6043]

Actually only 17% of young voters turned out, the same number as the 2000 election.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hey Im sure you did things your parents didn't "approve" of.

Generations change, interests change, people change.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by RedOctober90]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join