It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!! Visual size comparisons of objects in "outer space"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hola my fellow ATS brethren,

I was browsing through U tube recently and I stumbled across this cool video. In it are visual depictions of the planets in our galaxy, stars in our solar system, etc. to give us some perspective of sizes and what not.

It truly is mind blowing IMO. I also know that there is probably a thread very similar to this floating around or buried deep with in the pages of this forum so I took the liberty to revive it so to speak for our newer members to get a glimpse of something I consider awesome.

I hope you all enjoy this video as much as I did.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Terrific post, thank you ! Still difficult to comprehend the vast scales involved...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Videos like this always amaze me, thanks for sharing. And to believe some still have the balls to claim there's no life out there.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Yeah I like watching those videos but I found something even more fun, not sure how to post a link in here so I just copy and paste it so you can check it out..... htwins.net... It gives objects we can directly relate to and goes both big and small in both directions, you should check it out!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thank you all for the kind replies. I must admit, I was somewhat awestruck when I first saw video as well.

@Jheat, thanks for sharing that link! That would've made a better thread! Truly fascinating.

Looking at all of this in perspective, it doesn't sound too far fetched that we are just a speck of dirt underneath a giants fingernail.
edit on 15-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I couldn't get past the techno music in that video! I had to watch it on mute!

It did sort of remind me of the Powers of Ten video (which is accompanied by its own cheesy background music).

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

No problem, I stumbled upon that a while ago and that I think it is an updated version.... What really struck my eye was the size of the minecraft world, I didn't actually notice it until I looked twice.... Is that real or what?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

I don't know if that is real or not! I wouldn't be surprised if it is real though. It's kind of hard to wrap your mind around the technology that exists today.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Or, if you prefer a slightly less dated (1983) musical version, there is always The Galaxy Song by Monty Python.

Sorry, couldn't help but post that one here as well!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I was just watching a documentary on just how crazy big space really is. I love this stuff. And I love the Monty python universe song too.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

always love to try and get my head around the sizes of other objects planets ,suns and galaxies

but my brain goes into meltdown AMAZING

always star and flag my fav topics
edit on 15/4/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Good video but it's been shown many many times on here.
Also other versions along the same theme.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMaybeNot
Videos like this always amaze me, thanks for sharing. And to believe some still have the balls to claim there's no life out there.

I would say most people don't claim that what they claim is that it doesn't visit here, I think there is life out there but I don't think it visits here and I have not seen anything to convince me otherwise even on here.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sure makes one feel small doesn't it.
Have you seen Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan? It's well worth watching if you haven't seen it... only 3 minutes (and a bit) ... It's very humbling

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

That is a great video. Thank you for sharing.

top topics

join