It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSG - Poison in our Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've been reading a lot about MSG lately and have learned a few shocking things. First of all, it's in more than just Chinese food. And it causes a lot more than just headaches.

A simple google image search for "msg obesity induced mice will give you some shocking imagery of mice more than twice their normal size, and all they did was inject them with msg. Apparently there are several studies on it.

”The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity.” Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro IA. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002. ”Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats.” Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro. Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug. ”Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in spontaneously hypertensive rats: An animal model of multiple risk factors.” Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, Apparatchik K, Maraschinos N, Seminarians Fujishima Hyper tens Res. 1998 Mar. ”Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity.” Tanaka K, Chimaera M, Nakamura K Kusunoki. Exp Neural. 1978 Oct.

MSG hides behind more than 25 names!!

Glutamic acid (E 620)
Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Yeast extract
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Soy protein, soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Whey protein, whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Anything “…protein”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
MSG
Natural Flavors

Ingredients that often contain MSG:

Carrageenan (E 407)
Bouillon and broth
Stock
Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
Maltodextrin
Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
Barley malt
Pectin (E 440)
Protease
Anything “enzyme modified”
Anything containing “enzymes”
Malt extract
Soy sauce (a reader has informed us that Russell Blaylock, MD states in his book, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, that soy sauce ALWAYS contains MSG)
Soy sauce extract
Anything “protein fortified”
Anything “fermented”
Seasonings

By food industry definition, all MSG is “naturally occurring.” “Natural” doesn’t mean “safe.” “Natural” only means that the ingredient started out in nature, like arsenic and hydrochloric acid.

MSG is believed to cause obesity, migranes, headaches, adhd, Alzheimer's and autism just to name a few.

These are just some of the things I've read about recently, but this is new to me. I'd love to hear if anyone has anything to add to this, or if anyone has any techniques to avoid msg while shopping, especially since it's been added to milk, and sprayed on produce!!

I already avoid gmo's and buy organic as much as I can find it, avoid nitrates, and now after taking a new look at msg, it kind of feels like when you add it all up, there's nothing left to eat except what's growing in my garden right now.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Bound glutamates aren't that bad for us, if our body needs them it will take them out of the bound form and utilize them. Free glutamates are in a lot of food naturally, and a little in food naturally is not a problem. They make us happy and help us have fun. It is when we get added free glutamates that things start to get overloaded and go wrong. Tomatoes are high in free glutamates and Parmessian cheese is loaded with them. Both of those are natural things. A little dusting of Parmessian cheese isn't going to hurt us but moderation should be observed.

You are right though, adding these things to food to attract us is bad. Aspartame turns to free glutamate during it's breakdown in the body also. I bet I've read close to three hundred scientific articles on this subject. I'm trying to differentiate between how to recognize the effects of the three different kinds of these glutamates.

Naturally aged and brewed soy sauce has bound glutamates in it I think, still trying to find better verification for this. The ones that use hydrolyzed soy or wheat protein are free glutamates and basicly the same as MSG.

Classifying everything together is bad. Beer has both bound and some free glutamates.
edit on 11-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Carraggean is bad news, but for a different reason. It could be used as a medicine safely though for helping to stop a cyklotine storm. Trouble is that used long term it could raise risk of worse storms.
edit on 11-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is a good article on the overuse of free glutamates in food. I have read that VLDL levels and Free glutamate are almost impossible to tell apart in the blood tests. VLDL is the worst colesterol supposedly but if it is hard to know how much is what then how do you know. Excessive free glutamate does raise blood pressure, it is often found around salt. Bound glutamates aren't as much of a problem.

Here is the article that is interesting, 2011 research. www.krepublishers.com...< br />
As with other research articles I often read, I do not know the funder of this article nor the motive for the research.

Natural amounts of free glutamates are all right for us, used in bodily functions. If you do not uptake glutamates right or do not eat them at all you may find yourself depressed. Moderating the amounts of glutamate in the diet is hard now adays, finding how much you need to maintain civility is hard. Free glutamates are the feel good drug. They are often referred to as tyramines but there are three or maybe more tyramines and they all have their place. MAO inhibitors with glutamates can give us a little buzz and/or a migraine.

If you ingest a lot of glutamates for a long time, the glutamate sensors in our body die off and we need more than average glutamates to maintain ourselves. High BP results from high use of glutamates. If these attachment points die off than we have a slew of problems with our nervous system. All of this can be fixed, humans have a very good regenerative system and a lot of stem cells stored in fat cells throughout the body. As we use the fat, the stem cells become available it seems and muscle and other cells can be repaired. This can be triggered by a three day fast I guess, as long as you are pretty healthy. It seems that fish may also trigger this, it does trigger brain neuron growth afterall like fasting does. The catholics were both crafty and smart in their traditions. A healthy member can make more than an unhealthy one so ten percent of more is more.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I read this article yesterday on Science Daily. www.sciencedaily.com...

I have read how excess glutamates cause a reduction of nerves before but this helps to clarify a few things. About half way down the article it states a similar thing about excess glutamates causing neuronal damage. This leads to memory fog or basicly dumbing down of society permanently. A little glutamate is necessary to make memories and increase intelligence but too much has the opposite effect.

Now, it's time to analyze this. Free glutamates are added to lots of food, a chemical that is absorbed quickly. Bound glutamates are in naturally aged foods and they have to be processed so the release is slow and steady. This seems to be the proper way, natural aging and moderation of consumption. This way there is no need for antidepressants which increase glutamate in the brain. Glutamate compounds are neuro transmitters and there are a few things that moderate them, chemistry that we do not consume enough of.

So do some antidepressants given under a misdiagnosis actually cause us harm. Yes, their policy of pushing them on everyone in a quickly uptaked form is not the right policy, it will lower people's intellect. It seems that many use organic fluoride compounds to speed absorbtion into the brain. so is the fluoride in our water also bringing the free glutamates crammed in our foods into the brain and accentuating neuron loss?

The government likes dumbing us down, then they bitch at teachers and parents because the kids don't do so good in school and America is falling down the ladder in intelligence. We need to get the ones looking after our food supply out of control and put intelligent and incorruptible people in there. Our country will then regain our status as one of the top intellectual countries in the world. Big business is causing this imbalance in our brain chemistry, they have been duped into thinking that free glutamates are attractants, that is a false statement, natural bound glutamate is what we need to keep on an even keel. Not all glutamates are bad for us in moderation, even free glutamate. Humans have been consuming glutamate for a long time.

If a person wants to reduce their consumption of glutamate, they may need to take a molybdenum supplement or change their diet to include foods containing Molybdenum. This will lower copper levels. Too much molybdenum is not good either, a supplement of one and a half times the daily rate will do just fine. Later on it can be taken twice a week and it will help to keep a person from becoming depressed.

Do not fear things, learn how to use them to benefit yourself. Do not assume all glutamates in moderation are bad for us, they are necessary in small amounts. If there is excess or not enough in the body the short term symptoms are almost the same.

Monosodium Glutamate is one of the free glutamates The OP is right and wrong. Instead of saying MSG he should be addressing the words Free Glutamates. It includes all these things. Free glutamates in small amounts doesn't hurt us but the attractant has been put into a high percentage of our foods....We are overdosing on this drug.
edit on 19-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Found a good article on this subject. Because we can't get away from glutamates added to food, I have been researching what the effects are and how to neutralize them. Carrageenan metabolizes to free glutamates in the body, All the other sources of hidden free glutamates in the OP are real. It is created by the aging process.

So what do we do about it? Seems the quercetin in onions can possibly help. www.sciencedirect.com... The glutamates do almost the same thing as LDL does to the Macrophages, swell them up like sponges then they work their way through the body to the liver to get excreted. The problem is these spongy macrophages scrape the arteries leaving a residue on them leading to artheriosis. So there are ways to block the uptake of the LDL, an oil found in veggies that is waxy. It is a sterol or something like that. The side effect of eating a lot of this is that it necetates eating more beta carotines because it blocks these oils. It also really blocks out the vitamin K-2 absorbtion. K-1 in certain veggy fats is high, but some people do not take up K-1 well if they cannot support the bacteria in their gut to convert it. Some of us have antigens to these little critters so K-2 supplements could be advisable for those trying to follow the new food fad that they are promoting. These waxy blocking oils are abundant in root veggies.

Now the blocking of LDL uptake is not necessarily going to block free glutamates which does the same thing to your arteries.

Hope this is of use to some of you out there. Nobody is looking out for your health but you and your family. The doctors cannot possibly know what you eat or how your metabolism works without special tests....which they only seem to do if you are dying.
edit on 18-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I knew MSG was bad & i try to avoid it always but i had no idea it had that many names and was as complex as it is, theres rumour its in our kids immunisations aswell? This reminds me i wanted to look in to that more to see if it was hoax or not .. Anyway now i know what else to look out for and can keep my 3 small children and my family from consuming it although a few have shocked and confused me though like natural flavours because ill always buy something if it says natural flavours, also i use whey protein powder so id have to discontinue use? anyway thankyou

new topics

top topics

join