It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermit Lives in Maine for 27 years and allegedly commits 1,000 + burglaries!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here's a link to the story a local newspaper posted yesterday.

There is a reference to Chernobyl, however it was a way of remembering the date he went into confinement rather than motive. Good read nonetheless.

Portland Press Herald Story

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Luckily most people don't think like you do.

You and I paid for the BMW most likely. Unless the drug money did.... Just sayin.

Here's a story on compassion for this guy.

-Cheers

Bangor daily news
edit on 13-4-2013 by Seek_Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Update:

Christopher Knight's bail was raised from $5,000 to $250,000 on Sunday after two additional charges were filed against him.

Police say the man known as the North Pond Hermit has attracted a marriage proposal and a stranger's offer to bail him out since his arrest earlier this month at a camp in Rome. Authorities say he committed an estimated 1,000 burglaries over the years to obtain supplies.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
A bit of info...
I grew up in this small community. The "North Pond Hermit" is by far not the only person living off in the woods alone and undetected here. As children we were warned not to go to far into the woods alone. Some of them would come down from the hills and steal clothes off the clothesline. While others would take vegetables out of the garden at night. I had an encounter at night with one as a very young child and all I will say is that it was terrifying. These guys aren't heroes. Most are very mentally disturbed and can not handle being in public. They live on private property often doing damage and junking up the area and steal consistently. Some are vets while others are trying to get away from the law. It is basically Maine's version of the homeless population. There are virtually no mental health services in the state since they closed the mental institutions, and people automatically assume the ill must have just disappeared. Umm no. Take a ride into the hills with a 4X4 and go far enough, you will find some very interesting inhabitants.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by strangefires
A bit of info...
I grew up in this small community. The "North Pond Hermit" is by far not the only person living off in the woods alone and undetected here. As children we were warned not to go to far into the woods alone. Some of them would come down from the hills and steal clothes off the clothesline. While others would take vegetables out of the garden at night. I had an encounter at night with one as a very young child and all I will say is that it was terrifying. These guys aren't heroes. Most are very mentally disturbed and can not handle being in public. They live on private property often doing damage and junking up the area and steal consistently. Some are vets while others are trying to get away from the law. It is basically Maine's version of the homeless population. There are virtually no mental health services in the state since they closed the mental institutions, and people automatically assume the ill must have just disappeared. Umm no. Take a ride into the hills with a 4X4 and go far enough, you will find some very interesting inhabitants.

I grew up in Maine and have lived here for most of my life. I've lived mainly in the Portland area, however spent some time in Waterville (17 miles from Rome) and Bangor.

There are many Mental institutions in Maine that are open and have been for a long time. Not sure what institutions you are referring to, but they are definitely not all closed.

Saying that this guy and the supposed mass amounts of hermits living in the area are representative of Maine's homeless population is just absurd.

Maine has a very high homeless population due to the fact that Portland and Bangor are the end of the road for Greyhound bus lines. I've heard stories of City governments down south (Philly, Boston, etc.) taking their problem transients and buying them a one way ticket to Maine.

NY Times Article on Homeless Relocation

I've done lots of 4x4 exploration all over the state and have yet to encounter a "hermit". The trash lying around out on the trails, in the woods, on back roads, is generally the uneducated population in remote areas who don't know how to dispose of trash properly or just don't have the means.

Of course if you have some sort of factual information on the Maine homeless mentally ill hermits that are everywhere in the Maine woods, please provide.

Here's the most recent update:

B angor Daily News Article April 23rd
edit on 24-4-2013 by Seek_Truth because: add link

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

Saying you lived in Portland most of your life and spent "some time" in Waterville simply tells me you have no clue about the areas I was referring to. Many of the long term mental institutions have closed down due to lack of funding and proper management. "Nonviolent" patients have for the most part been transferred to assisted living apartments and facilities with little if any supervision.

Perhaps your limited visits to the backwoods of Maine hasn't quite given you much experience in the amount of people actually living there. But if your travels to Waterville constituent good four wheeling I can understand why. I would suggest you stay in Portland (which for inland folks like me is nothing more than northern Massachusetts).

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

Maybe you should re-read what I posted.

You have no idea my age or how much time I actually spent in Waterville or Bangor.

You'd be criticized and probably bludgeoned for the Mass reference to and around Portland.

Are you frome Rome???!?!

Let's have a beer if you're around. Always wanted to actually chill with a fellow ATS member.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

Where I grew up Portland was definitely "the big city". A place you only venture to if a family member was in the hospital, or the 295 drive through on the yearly trip to Funtown in Saco. I think my first time actually driving into Portland was as an adult and seriously nerve wrecking. It may seem amusing but it really is a world away for some folks. I'm not a trusting person, otherwise we could go four wheeling with a six pack and I could show you some interesting places in the backwoods. If you enjoy off roading and have the opportunity let me just suggest an adventure. Grab yourself a big blue atlas if you dont have one already. Head north of Bangor, and follow some logging roads (these are actually on the Maine atlas) past Millinnocket. Bring a tent and some food and friends and find a spot on a pond to camp out. Get yourself lost out there, there are so many logging roads to traverse. And you might be surprised how you can be in the middle of NO WHERE, and suddenly come up on squatters with some type of camper setup living in the wilderness. In my personal experience they are not usually very welcoming to strangers so keep your wits about you and have a good adventure. I'll tell you I have my own atlas that is many years old now, and many good spots marked out from old rides. And no one I know goes that far north with out some protection, so be safe.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

I've explored the Golden Road area many times.

Cool place.

-Cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join