It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermit Lives in Maine for 27 years and allegedly commits 1,000 + burglaries!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 404ed
reply to post by randyvs

I lived in Maine and I don't remember us locking the doors at night until the late 90's.
I'm really impressed this man lived through so many winters in Maine. I cringe just thinking about it.

edit on 4/11/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

He may have had a pretty good idea, of which homes were seasonal vacation homes, and stayed in them accordingly.

Every winter, up here on top of the mountain where I live...very rural. Summer vacation homes get broken into.

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
He would have cost more tax dollars as an inmate in any facility. Either way, the people paid.

Loose and causing unease via burglary or locked up. Take your pick. Maybe I'm nuts but I'd rather pay for an inmate. At least it employs people.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 404ed
reply to post by randyvs

I lived in Maine and I don't remember us locking the doors at night until the late 90's.
I'm really impressed this man lived through so many winters in Maine. I cringe just thinking about it.

edit on 4/11/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

Ya, homeless in Maine can't be a good thing. Hell I doubt if I can even imagine it. Been stuck out here in Cali since I was two.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Less about this guy and more about you...

You have been here since 2009 and this is your first thread?

Are you sure you arent the guy the story is talking about?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
How does ANYONE know that this guy 'stole' anything? sure its easy to blame someone else whose an easy target rather than try and find the real culprit IMHO.
And ANYONE who lives under the radar MUST be a criminal otherwise what or who are they hiding from right?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seek_Truth
reply to post by Manhater

He lived under the radar for 27 years. No source of income other than the things he "stole" from the people around him. He stole minimal stuff. Batteries, propane tanks, etc...

He's my hero because he pulled it off for 27 years. So far all I've heard is he does have at least 1 family member, his mother, who was contacted and told "Your son is alive".

A true survivalist here, granted his means were by theft. However isn't a true survivalist someone who uses their surroundings to the highest extent to survive?

This guy needs a book deal STAT.

Ummm...you are aware there are plenty of people all around the globe who survive via stealing stuff from other people... right?

So if I kept breaking into your house and stealing your stuff, I'd be your hero?

No wonder the world is going to hell, people think its awesome for someone to not produce anything themselves, and rely upon other people's work to survive. He is moocher, a leech, a parasite, I can't believe anyone would see something positive about that.

I can understand being impressed by avoiding capture for so long, if you are one of those people who think the government is going to start hunting down people who say the wrong thing, but to think it's somehow good that he simply stole other people's stuff to get by is totally ridiculous and shameful.

I hope everything you own gets stolen, maybe then you'll rethink your opinion on this guy. There is nothing cool about stealing other people's stuff...

Seriously.... what's wrong with people on ATS....

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

And he's been charged with 1 burglary totally the huge sum of $238 worth of goods.

Doesn't sound like a "little" theft to me, if this is ONE incident. I'd be pretty ticked if I was out $238 myself.

He'll be back in the wild within a week unless they have more on him. And $5k bail is nothin.

Sure it is. You think he has any collateral to put up or even if he did, the 10% he'd need to put down for that freedom? Something tells me that $5K bail might as well be $50K as far as he's concerned. Even with collateral though, the guy's a MAJOR flight risk, and no bondsman is going to touch it.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeedawg

This guys is my effing hero. I want to know how he accomplished being undetected for 27 years in a relatively populated area (Rome, Maine).

Not the best hero one could have. He's really good at laying low though i have to admit. But all the things he stole over the years from people should negate his hero status for you lol.

This man will have a hard time living in jail. He's used to living totally free, in the open outdoors. Now, he will be cooped up in a small cell with a guy named Thunder for a while.

Thunder.

I wonder if this guy can handle much human contact. He's been alone all that time by choice, so a people person he is not. He may possibly be found mentally unstable [ 27 years hiding from people ] and sent to a facility, rather than jail.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not impressed. Now if this were a post apocalyptic world or he was a known and hunted man and went unnoticed that's one thing ... but this guy would have been better off flipping burgers patrt-time at McDs than living like a scared, lonely animal for so long. I say he's mentally incompetent somehow.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Nope not me.

I've been a lurker for a long time. Random replies here and there.

Finally started to get active on this site. It's always been my go to outlet for news.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Maine (still here!! LOL)...Most of the camp owners around the "camp areas" of any lake or pond up here have a kind of unspoken rule...(though most out of staters don't use it unless they've been here awhile-LOL)...A lot of camps ARE left unlocked, the damage is less to the structure and it is never known if someone just might need shelter for a night...I realize most will balk at such a statement, but Maine is a laid back kind of place, heck, walk along any Northern Maine Lake or Pond shoreline and you'll see canoes and boats EVERYWHERE in the woods, some chained up,(Owner usually an out of stater) but MOST are not chained (these owners are Mainers-LOL)....There use to be a kind of joke that went around in reference to Maine being 2-3 years behind the rest of the country...The way things are changing so quickly? It is a joke that we are trying desperately to keep...

I wouldn't exactly call this guy a hero as far as the stealing goes (he did not steal and sell or profit from anything-just a can of food here or there, or batteries, matches, little things-though it doesn't excuse the theft) but for his act of staying under the radar for 27 years? I'll give credit where it is due...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

You just declared open season on Maine. Not too bright.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
LOL!! Give me a break, It's common knowledge for anyone who lives anywhere near a lake, pond, or backcountry area....seriously? Why? Will you be the one to take it that far? But you ARE correct in one aspect...it is ALWAYS open season here in Maine...and you just never can tell exactly WHAT it may be open season on

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Seems fairly harmless maybe he can sell his story and disappear again. Probably if we werent all about as greedy as can be people with mental illness wouldn't be left to exist in the cracks as they are. Often I feel that those best suited to succeed in the world as it is are the truly crazy

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Wow !

Surprised the hero thing caused such a stir!

Lmao

The first half dozen posts on just about any thread are almost always derision. Its just the way this particular cybercommunity works. Whatever the OP, it makes you cool to break balls over anything. Spelling, grammar, "misleading thread title". Pay it no mind. I can see why you used the word "hero". I know what you're saying.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
From the articles it does not appear that he terrorized people, destroyed property or stole items like tvs, etc. that he sold for profit. He was surviving. Maybe not the "right" way but when / if SHTF he would be the one that many people would be flocking to to learn how to survive the cold seasons and to live.

What would have been impressive is if he had done something "good" for everything he stole. I.E. return the books when he was done reading as if a library. Pick up some trash in the camp at night. Notice the can of paint laying there and finish the workers job and paint that trim. Clean out the gutters real quick. IDK something that helps the property owners to the extent that he took items.

Stealing is not right in any situation. But, he could done some pretty terrible things... it doesn't look as if he did. In that regard I can understand (but not claim) the "hero" part.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What stands out to me is this:

Knight told the officers that he’s never been sick or injured and has no health problems that he knows about.

What does that tell you? How many 47 year olds can claim that?

And how long will it take "in the system" for him to get "sick"? Not long I'll bet. They'll give him a checkup and then they probably have some nice drugs ready for him in prison to address his not wanting to be around people and make him more social. You know, for his own good.

The powers that be don't like it when one their sheep get out of the pen.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I also grew up in Maine (Lewiston) but moved to the south a while ago.

I'm not at all surprised about someone being undetected for that long of a time. There's so much wilderness in Maine that's untouched, it's the only redeeming quality of that state for me. No offense to you who still live there, it's just not my kinda place to live.

We most certainly locked our doors, not just at night, but they were locked all the time. Lewiston was never a great city, but it's 100x worse these days than say, 10-15 years ago. I grew up in projects/downtown Lewiston and while it's size has NOTHING on a major city like NYC/Boston/Chicago/etc, it's an infestation of welfare receiving drunks and they're punk kids.

Sure, there are PLENTY of camps in the woods that are left unlocked. A family friend has a camp in Wilton that's left unlocked year round for anyone who is in the area and wants to stay a night. Good luck finding it, though.

Trust me, no one has given away any 'secrets' about Maine that will get the state flooded with thieves breaking into summer homes. Some of those mountain/wood folk will shoot your ass dead if they catch ya messing with their homes. They've got more to be worried about with places like Lewiston and Livermore Falls expanding at an extreme rate with nothing but white trash.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They should have used this guy to get bin laden. To hell seal team six and the stealth helicopter.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
what a scumbag. contribute something or support yourself

150 years ago he'd hang
edit on 10-4-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

maybe he did contribute.. there are lots of ways people put in...just by living a minimalistic life sytle he has added more than most in my books.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join