It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This 13 minute TED video may save your life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Big Pharmaceutical companies can kill you, and here is 13 minutes of help.
Mods, I did a search on this and found this,”
abovetopsecret.com.samuru.com...
No results found. Check your search terms and try again."
This is a three year old documentary that I read about in the Huff Post today. www.huffingtonpost.com...
Physicians these days have trusted the recommendations they receive from the Big Pharma companies whose medications they prescribe without actually researching whether or not these drugs are the right ones for their patients. Also, the FDA needs to initiate a transparent system that forces pharmaceutical companies to document these drug trials that are both successful and detrimental to the public, including “Orphan Drugs.” This 13 minute video, I hope, will motivate you to contact your legislators (if that’s any help) to pass better laws to protect us.

edit on 8-4-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Doctors, Big Pharma, Hospitals and Insurance companies don't have our best interests in mind? Well I will be a monkeys uncle.......

Stay away from them all is my plan. No drugs, I die when I die.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thank you for posting; seems like every place one looks truths are disregarded for the bottom line on some spread sheet. FDA is a corrupt, outdated, revolving door for big company CFOs an CEO lackeys.

There are very few things the government can do correctly and the FDA is a classic example of government ineptitude. Last study I read there were 160,000 deaths last year from prescription drugs; surely not all were suicides.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Weird, double post...sorry
edit on 8-4-2013 by 727Sky because: edit

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Great lecture! Thanks for posting.

By the way, do you know what they call a medical student that graduates at the bottom of his class?
(Wait for it...)
A doctor!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Perhaps a key message is that individuals should have better overall health & wellness awareness so that they do not place key decisions in the hands of already busy general practitioners etc. Ultimately, when you relegate the responsibility of your health to someone besides yourself, you are placing faith in their ability to be infallible. A mix of both approaches is best, where you educate yourself on your body and your health and turn to others for a second opinion or, for emergencies.

**This is opinion, not medical advice.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

I was born in 1978 with congenital birth defects. The doctor my parents were taking me to didn't know what I had. When my parents suggested that they wanted me to be seen at a particular hospital, he said he didn't want them to take me there because every time he sent his patients there, they never came back to his office.
Well, my parents took me to the other hospital and they diagnosed me immediately and they never did take me back to see the first doctor. At least he was right about something.
So, what did he do?
He sued the hospital citing me accusing them of stealing his patient. Can you believe it?!?!
How egotistical and self-centered can you get? He wasn't concerned about me at all and probably not his other patients either. He was not able to diagnose a disease, yet he thinks he deserves to "treat" the patient after another doctor(s) solves the mystery he couldn't. And for him to be so delusional to actually think my parents were going to want him seeing me again? Completely unreal. Some doctors actually are this sociopathic. I''m just happy my parents are smart and took me to good doctors who actually cared.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Thank you for sharing that personal life story. It reminds me how people hold Doctors, and Science in general, as always being moral. The truth is, money corrupts. Corporations can hire scientists to say tobacco is a vegetable and Doctors can get dividends from funneling patients to private/select institutions. Call this a health scam, call it a product of Capitalism, ultimately whatever you call it, you are the one who has to live with your body and whatever consequences their action/lack of action has.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
"....a cancer at the core of evidenced based medicine...."

Goodness! Sure is.
Makes you want to question the whole lot, when they blatently leave out conflicting and potentially damaging findings, but prescribe away anyway.

Let's hope majority of doctors are not lazy and do some homework before they dose, after all isn't that part of their responsibility to know what they're on about?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Thank you for appreciating it.
I'd just like to say that not all doctors are bad, but it seems that as the years go by, they are getting few and far between. I believe the good ones are leaving or getting pushed out of the system because they don't want to play the game.
There was an article or video I watched a while back that showed how our brains' decision making center shuts down when we're in the presence of a "professional" be it a doctor, financial adviser, or even an auto mechanic. I've always remembered this and when I'm on my way to see one of these types, I practice ahead of time by gathering questions I think I'm going to ask to keep my brain awake and aware. It works, too. I'll listen to what they have to say, but having formulated the questions early on, my confidence level is heightened and I'm not so susceptible to advice. I'm also not afraid to seek a second opinion.
People are often scared to question these professionals, but one thing is for sure -- if they react arrogantly to your questions or try to give you a guilt trip when you want a second opinion, this is nobody you want to deal with anyways. Just get up and walk out.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I love TED! I have a family member who used to work for Roche. I always found it interesting that just as the world was stocking up on Tamiflu and Roche was raking in billions in sales, they suddenly and completely cut back their expenses, stopped employee functions, laid off employees, dropped projects, etc... Roche handed out doses of Tamiflu to all of it's employees and their families, including children. Roche, clearly said they had not conducted trials on children, I believe it was on the package insert. Here is a link to an article by Dr Mercola who discusses the effects Tamiflu had on children.

This is a link to an article which delves further into detail about Roche's non-compliance about releasing all their clinical trial documents.

I don't mean to single out Roche here, every company that sells medications, prescription or over the counter, fudge their data. How many of you regularly take Ibuprofen? I had an abscessed tooth a few years ago and was taking several a day for a few weeks. I showed up to work, sad and weepy. My manager pulled me aside and after I told her what was going on with my tooth, she asked if I was taking Ibuprofen and when I told her how many I had been taking, she told me to stop. She told me here is a link with Ibuprofen and depression. I went to my pharmacist and she looked it up. The Compendium of Pharmaceuticals mentions that it is a rare side effect. I mentioned it to my doctor and she didn't seem to take it seriously. Here's the problem. If doctors aren't reporting it, then it doesn't get recorded. Generally, people who are on long time Ibuprofen therapy are dealing with a chronic issue, so when there are mood swings, or depression, the assumption is that it's from the physical condition, not the medication.
Now, when I am at my doctors and she prescribes a drug, I make her call up the product monograph, and we discuss it. I can't say this happens often, I tend to use herbal remedies now but still take prescriptions for chronic conditions. What's the answer? I'm not sure. Talking about the issue here is a start I suppose....

new topics

top topics

join